XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Timing Chain Tensioners

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 09:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Timing Chain Tensioners

Right now I'm fearing the worst. It started off as a heater supply and return hose R&R, some fresh fluids and all is well. Ran well for 2 days without a hitch. Then at idle in my driveway it stalled and after a few attempts I stopped to pull codes. It had a different sound that smelled of timing.
Long story of it I've removed the cam covers to inspect what I could see of the tensioners and found several 1/2" pieces of what used to be a tensioner in the upper portion of the housing. Who knows what might lurk in the bottom. How likely is it that it jumped a tooth throwing off the timing and not done any significant damage to the motor. Its been well maintained and has
140k and was running smoothly without a rattle.
I know that I have to pull the front off the motor as evidenced by the plastic pieces but is there a way to determine if that is what happened without going deeper i.e. skipped tooth timing issue. Thanks to all that may wish to keep all Jags purrrrrin.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,794 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Aloha...
If you don't have one, find someone with a bore scope to look down in without removing the covers. Its almost assured you'll have to take it off though. Don't be too concerned, its really not that bad, just time consuming. You can take almost the whole front off with 8mm and 10mm sockets. If your going to use a cordless drill to remove the parts, I got an angle attachment head, it makes it go quicker.
Your going to need to determine chain replacement (most likely) also. Take your serpentine off, take out the plugs also (its easier) and use a breaker bar on the crank pulley. Rotate it slowly until the cam lobes are flush on top, check both sides at the same time in case one jumped, but both sides should be flush to be in time. There a many, many threads on the chain tensioners, do a search and research them. Know before your go.....
BTW, I'll be out your way in December for the 75th anniversary of Pearl Harbor. I plan on doing a little island hopping.

Last edited by Highhorse; 07-26-2016 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:14 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks so much for your reply. If you happen to make it over to the Big Island call or stop by the Kilauea Lodge and tell them Debbie with the Jag wants to hear from you and give them your number. I live close by and would love to buy a member a drink.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The quickest check for a timing issue is to do a compression check. If you find cylinders with extremely low pressure or no pressure it is a valve being held open by the timing being off.
If the compression is good then odds are the valve timing is correct and hasn't changed.
As a minimum if you find timing is good I would change out the secondary tensioners and remove the oil pan and clean out the debris. You should be able to get a look see down the timing cover for a visual of the primary guides for missing pieces.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,794 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Originally Posted by jaghag00
Thanks so much for your reply. If you happen to make it over to the Big Island call or stop by the Kilauea Lodge and tell them Debbie with the Jag wants to hear from you and give them your number. I live close by and would love to buy a member a drink.
Mahalo