XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Timing Chain Tensioners. Check Yours Before It's Too Late!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015 | 08:51 AM

If the primary fails and the curved blade 'chatters', that can't be a good thing.
It would probably hasten deterioration and plastic parts 'flaking off' depositing into the oil pan.

I wouldn't wait long after hearing the chain slapping to repair the fault but I also shut off engines when the oil light comes on and when the temp gauge climbs into the RED.

crazy me???

bob gauff

Old 09-01-2015 | 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
If the primary fails and the curved blade 'chatters', that can't be a good thing.
It would probably hasten deterioration and plastic parts 'flaking off' depositing into the oil pan.

I wouldn't wait long after hearing the chain slapping to repair the fault but I also shut off engines when the oil light comes on and when the temp gauge climbs into the RED.

crazy me???

bob gauff
From what it sounds like, at least initially, the worst thing it will do is make an annoying racket. So, if it's taken care of soon after hearing anything going wrong, there is a minimal likelihood of severe/catastrophic damage..?

But only on the condition that it is renewed ASAP... That'll be something that I do when I go to replace the water pump methinks.

Old 09-01-2015 | 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
Well, Plums, again you spout off about something you have no direct knowledge of; There might be many motivations for using a plastic design, and you have determined which one it was by claivoyance, I guess.

And... If you have actually been inside the AJ26 or AJ27 engine, you should have noticed that there there is a slipper on the tight side of the chain, integral to the tensioner assembly that does set the tight side path. I suppose your clairvoyance let your down on that one!
Indeed, this is why you need to question a lot of what you see in the Internet. There is a lot of really bad information spouted as absolute truth. Some of the advice I see on the forums reminds me of my hillbilly neighbor. He is a chain smoker with emphysema who tells everyone that there is no PROOF that smoking is bad for your health, that global warming is a conspiracy as are vaccines, etc. I have not asked but he would probably tell me that there is no reason at all to use proper factory tools.

The following users liked this post:
Erhead64 (06-01-2023)
Old 09-02-2015 | 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Default It's time

This appears to be the most recent tensioner thread.

When I bought the 2001 XJ8 (first week of April, this year) I immediately replaced the plastic (cracked) secondary tensioners using the zip-tie method. I REALLY wanted to do the whole thing, but available time limitations and finances simply did not permit this. I was not willing to drive it until at least the secondaries were addressed, and anticipated doing the entire timing system replacement as soon as it became practical.

Well, it appears the time has come. There are no noises or rattles and the engine seems to run fine, so this is a preventative repair (my favorite kind). Christopher's Foreign Car Parts was where I acquired the original secondary tensioners. Chris was very flexible and priced me for the rest of the necessary components, since I don't need the secondaries now. I am very excited about delving into this repair.

Some brief questions; more probably to follow:

1) Do I need to compress or otherwise do anything to the secondary tensioners that are already mounted, or do I simply replace everything around them and they will automatically adjust?

2) Is there anyone currently, and preferably locally (central NC) that will rent me the PROPER tools to remove the crank pulley and lock/set the timing? I do not want to "make do" with whatever tools I can improvise with and I don't really have the budget right now to buy the specialty tools.

I have spent hours reading threads regarding this job, but even with that there is plenty I have not yet read. It's a very prevalent topic on this forum, as it probably should be. I will try not to ask questions that have been answered already, but no promises.

I plan to conduct this repair in about two weeks. In the meantime I'll be getting parts in the mail and working to obtain the necessary tools.

Old 09-02-2015 | 02:50 PM
Veteran Member

I think Christopher will rent the tools (holding your credit card hostage).

Old 09-02-2015 | 03:00 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Jim,

It appears from his website that Christopher will rent me the kit for $99.00. The exact kit is available on Ebay for $139.00 (or it sure looks the same)

Land Rover Jaguar LR 3 7 4 4 Timing Kit Set | eBay

or this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Timin...446001&vxp=mtr

I am trying to save money, but if I could own the kit for only $40 more I doubt I would rent it.

I also have a newbie question regarding this kit. Does it also include all I need to remove the crankshaft pulley? It appears there is yet another specialty tool for that, but I'm unclear on this.

My "ideal" would be to rent everything, including pulley locking/removal tool for around $50 or less. Am I being naive?

Last edited by harvest14; 09-02-2015 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-02-2015 | 03:23 PM
Veteran Member

Can't help: have only done secondaries. If primaries go, car goes. It is still an economic issue. Can pretty much do everything as long as I am standing up doing it in my driveway

Old 09-02-2015 | 03:33 PM
Veteran Member

Jim:
You can do the primaries in the driveway. It is like the secondaries x2.5!

Old 09-02-2015 | 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by harvest14

***DELETIA***

I also have a newbie question regarding this kit. Does it also include all I need to remove the crankshaft pulley? It appears there is yet another specialty tool for that, but I'm unclear on this.

My "ideal" would be to rent everything, including pulley locking/removal tool for around $50 or less. Am I being naive?
Those kits will handle the top end...but you still need the right tool to remove the crank pulley, which is not in those kits if the photos are accurate:

Last edited by bdboyle; 09-02-2015 at 03:38 PM.
harvest14 (09-02-2015)
Old 09-02-2015 | 04:05 PM
Veteran Member

I will keep trying to source the tools.

I just went for a drive into town and the darn thing drives so smooth and quiet! I know I want to get the metal timing components installed, but I just hate to open up an engine that runs so good! haha

There is a slight crank pulley wobble presumed to be from the car sitting a long time and the tensioner distorting the rubber component of the pulley/balancer. There is also a very small oil leak somewhere around the timing cover, or perhaps the crank seal. I have sourced a replacement pulley already, so these are my excuses to go ahead and do everything while I have the crank pulley off.

Does my reasoning seem sound?

Old 09-02-2015 | 08:04 PM
Veteran Member

You either have not read the sad tales about failed tensioners or you are in a serious denial!

Old 09-02-2015 | 08:14 PM
Veteran Member

harvest14, not sure what part of NC you are in or what budget you are working with. I am in Eastern N.C. & just purchased a 2000 with all the guides done w/ chains,oil & tranny flush buy a reputable guy/place last year for a really low price complete with warranty.

PM if you would like his info.

harvest14 (09-02-2015)
Old 09-02-2015 | 08:18 PM
Veteran Member

I just meant that many of the folks on here do the secondaries (as I have already done) and then just drive the car for years. I guess my question was "if the secondary tensioners are updated and the car runs smooth, is it still justified to take it all apart and do the rest of the timing gear?".

I guess since I'm about to pull the trigger on the expense of ordering all the parts I just wanted someone to say "hey, go ahead Jeff. The job is worth all the trouble and expense".

Pathetic, I know. lol

Old 09-02-2015 | 08:29 PM
Veteran Member

Lol I hear you I totaled out a mint 2001 LWB last year that I had just sunk a lot of $ in w/ the timing & tranny, then not even 6 weeks later BAM,SMASH,BOOM !!(Bat Man sound effects lol) she was gone.

Just purchased a 2000 base with all the major upgrades done recently, now I'm dealing with the minor lil' tweaks that are oh so alien to me, I feel like an imbecile lol.

Godspeed, N.C. needs more fine 308s on our roads.

Old 09-03-2015 | 02:06 PM

I am just in the process of changing my primaries at the moment, not a moment too soon by the looks of it, this is all that there is left of the tensioners

Old 09-03-2015 | 02:24 PM
Veteran Member

Wow. Was it making any noise?

Old 09-03-2015 | 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by harvest14
Wow. Was it making any noise?
Oh, yes it certainly made a noise, I have only just had the car and not got it on the road yet, she needs quite a bit of work doing to get her ready for the road again.

I've not found all the tensioner yet, I may find it when i drain the sump

Old 09-06-2015 | 05:27 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I had no luck in finding a timing tool kit to borrow. The only rental options involved shipping and at least $75 in rental costs.

I found the following kit on Ebay, and I have placed the order.

Engine Timing Tool Set for Jaguar Land Rover 3 0 3 5 4 0 4 2 V8 Engine US SHIP | eBay

At $69.99 with free shipping I could not resist, AND I get to keep the kit. I'm sure it's made in China etc., but I feel confident they will be fine for occasional use, not in a professional shop where they are used regularly.

All I need now is a way to hold and pull the crank pulley. I'm getting closer and closer to starting this repair!

Old 09-06-2015 | 06:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RoyLittle0
Oh, yes it certainly made a noise, I have only just had the car and not got it on the road yet, she needs quite a bit of work doing to get her ready for the road again.

I've not found all the tensioner yet, I may find it when i drain the sump
Unfortunately, you will need to remove the sump and clean out the oil pump pickup screen. That's where the pieces end up, and they can reduce oil flow to the point of pressure loss.

Old 06-09-2016 | 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by rocklandjag
Pictures speak volumes. Looks like you caught those just in time. Zip tie method?
What is the "Zip tie method"? I am working on a 2000 VDP with minimal tools. Tools cost as much or more than most of the car parts, so every tips and techniques are welcome.

cliveb (01-22-2018)

Quick Reply: Timing Chain Tensioners. Check Yours Before It's Too Late!