XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Timing Chain Tensioners. Check Yours Before It's Too Late!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016 | 05:23 PM
Veteran Member

Look in the Stickies; also in the XK stickies. Lots of instructions, also, at the front of this thread and many more threads dealing with tensioners.

Old 03-10-2017 | 08:07 AM

I read this thread and I realize the need to check my tensioners. My VDP has 120,000 on it and I have no history on the service. I have done several things this winter but I would like to know more about the "Zip Tie Method". I searched the forms and looked on you tube could some one please point me to a how to on either site.

Thanks in advance!
David

Old 03-10-2017 | 08:50 AM

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...15/#post317113

Pretty simple procedure. Remove valve covers to expose the camshafts on both sides. Use zipties through the holes in the gears at the ends of the camshafts to lock the secondary camshaft chains to the camshaft sprockets. This allows you to remove (not fully remove from the car, just move it towards the intake camshaft enough to allow the bad tensioner to be removed and the new tensioner to be installed) the exhaust camshaft while still preserving engine timing. Tighten down the exhaust camshaft (using proper torque), remove the zipties and reinstall the camshaft covers.

It actually sounds more complicated than it actually is. Once you remove the camshaft covers and actually see what has to be done, it's pretty intuitive.

Old 03-10-2017 | 08:52 AM

Thanks for your response. I am going to give mine a shot.

David

Old 03-10-2017 | 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

I agree, it is very intuitive, but there are pitfalls that can be avoided by grabbing every thread on this subject (there are tons) and read each one carefully. Then pull the right valve cover and observe what is needed (if lucky, they will have been replaced already). A key piece is to try and turn the engine to the point of least tension on the lifters before loosening the cap bolts, to keep from breaking the camshaft.

On the left side, many have found difficulty removing the dipstick tube (again, lots of threads with suggestions that might apply to your case). Put a rag on the left front of the engine to preclude nuts and stuff from falling into the engine (MAKE SURE you take the rag out before you button up the engine). Take care with the cam cover seals to preclude air leaks. Go slow. As noted years ago on this forum: patience is the most important tool in your toolbox.

Old 03-12-2017 | 09:51 AM

Hi I have a 2000 xjr with 47,000 miles. Can the forum recommend where to get the tools and parts to do complete timing chain uppers and lowers. Thanks.

Old 03-12-2017 | 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...3/#post1513371
Check out this thread and post #20 I made list of part #'s and you can search for best price.

Old 07-04-2017 | 05:42 AM
Default 2000 xjr complete timing chain replacement

Can anyone recommend a reputable shop in Monmouth county New Jersey who can do this job. Thanks.

Old 11-12-2017 | 07:31 PM
Default Harmonic Balancer Problem

Hi Guys,

I don't want to hijack anyone's thread but I have a question... when removing the harmonic balancer to get to the timing chain... how to lock the engine from turning? The engine is turning freely with the balancer and the bolt is turning with it.

I am pretty far along in the process and have already removed the radiator of the car and the hood. Now I am ready to remove the harmonic balancer and remove the timing chain cover... Can I remove a valve cover and lock the chain with a screwdriver?

Old 11-12-2017 | 07:35 PM

Let the madness begin

Old 09-03-2019 | 03:36 PM

Hi all;
I've been putting off this job for a while to do just the secondaries. 98 xk8 83000 miles. I've just started, run into the inevitable snags. I,m starting on passenger side. The cam flats do not line up. I have the bar tool to lock them down, but the question is, if they don't line up, is something wrong?. And should I use the zip-tie or remove the sprocket?
Thanx, Don

Old 10-13-2021 | 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by xjrjag
I have seen threads on here where cars with only 50k miles have cracked tensioners. Being well maintained, having a clean car fax, etc. isn't saying much. Heat and oil affects the plastic regardless of how well maintained it is.

I would make it a priority to check them and replace if they are original.
How do you determine if they are original or have been replaced?
Thank you

Old 10-13-2021 | 09:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Markmbaha1
How do you determine if they are original or have been replaced?
Thank you

Remove a valve cover (passenger side is easiest) and you can see the secondary tensioners. The original type are a dark orange plastic, the later type are metal and white/cream colored.

To view the primary tensioners you have to remove the front timing cover, or use a pencil camera. (sometimes an owner only renews the secondaries, therefore it is important to check them both)

BTW, this is the XJ8 section and you have an XK8......(although the engines are the same)

The following users liked this post:
Lendurante (09-23-2024)
Old 10-13-2021 | 10:33 AM
Veteran Member

you look down into the V and you will see them

when a primary tensioner breaks it will rattle on start up

Old 10-20-2021 | 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Carnival Kid

Remove a valve cover (passenger side is easiest) and you can see the secondary tensioners. The original type are a dark orange plastic, the later type are metal and white/cream colored.

To view the primary tensioners you have to remove the front timing cover, or use a pencil camera. (sometimes an owner only renews the secondaries, therefore it is important to check them both)

BTW, this is the XJ8 section and you have an XK8......(although the engines are the same)
I want to check whether the secondary tensioners have been updated on my 99 XJR, but I'm not sure when the previous owner last cracked open the engine (might not have ever done it). Would I need to replace the cam gasket if I just opened it up to look?

Old 10-20-2021 | 05:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by t.eadie
Would I need to replace the cam gasket if I just opened it up to look?
The valve cover gasket(s) are rubber and so can survive a disturbance without necessarily resulting in subsequent leakage, but it is always good advice to replace.

Old 10-20-2021 | 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Carnival Kid
The valve cover gasket(s) are rubber and so can survive a disturbance without necessarily resulting in subsequent leakage, but it is always good advice to replace.
Cool, I'll probably go ahead and order a replacement just to be on the safe side. The last thing I want is to cause a leak just from checking on something 😅

Old 10-20-2021 | 08:28 AM
Veteran Member

You'll want to check your primaries as well. Someone could easily do the secondaries as decoration and skip the primaries.

There's a couple checks, first is chain tension, you should have zero slack in the primary chain. I had about 2mm of play in mine when I did them from the guides being broken.
Second, use a bore scope to look down in, if they are original, they will look like what CK is showing.
Here is a neat, and fairly cheap, bore-scope setup for a smartphone (there are others)...
Amazon Amazon

Old 10-20-2021 | 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Highhorse
You'll want to check your primaries as well. Someone could easily do the secondaries as decoration and skip the primaries.

There's a couple checks, first is chain tension, you should have zero slack in the primary chain. I had about 2mm of play in mine when I did them from the guides being broken.
How difficult would it be to change the primaries? If I need a bore to check them I'm assuming access isn't the best.

Old 10-20-2021 | 08:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by t.eadie
How difficult would it be to change the primaries? If I need a bore to check them I'm assuming access isn't the best.
just look down you will see most of it

primaries need the timing cover removed. 3-4 hour job if you work quick but don’t worry about them

Quick Reply: Timing Chain Tensioners. Check Yours Before It's Too Late!