XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Timing kit for $100 ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle hands...

No more putting this off, I suppose. I'm really worried about getting the wrong primary chain guides now though.

Someone needs to invent a can of "timing chain repair fluid" that you can add to the oil. All the egg heads working on stupid things like fancier cell phones need to be working on stuff we really need!

The up-side to this is it will give me something to do over Christmas vacation so I don't have to interact with visiting in-laws and their kids.

I can't really compare Chevys with Jags since my Chevys are all old trucks. You can't survive in rural New Mexico without a pickup, but I made it 60 years without a Jag. The Jaguar sure is nice though. I absolutely love driving it and the body is a work of art IMO. It is also really well made. The suspension parts are all forgings, upper and lower control arms instead of that strut crap, IRS is cool. Overall, I'm really impressed with the design and construction. Of course, the TIMING CHAINS could have been made a bit better, but then, I also have a 2002 that has been sorted in that regard. Also, owning a British car lets me use words like "sorted".

Old 12-12-2017, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,354 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by Doomer
No more putting this off, I suppose. I'm really worried about getting the wrong primary chain guides now though.
I remember there was an other thread about this, ending with a picture, maybe posted by motorcarman, several months ago.
Thread was focusing on the same issue, and was quite specific on why and how.
Maybe a little searching might bring it back up for you.

I remember it is a typical US problem, with the local cars using the "same" engine, and the consequent mix of parts.

Last edited by ericjansen; 12-12-2017 at 04:59 PM.