XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Timing off? Tensioners? help

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 08:43 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Timing off? Tensioners? help

Timing off? Tensioners? - YouTube

I need help guys. Is this what I think it is?

Old 09-04-2013, 07:11 AM
Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Hi XJRman,
Viewing and listening to the video, it does sound like you have a tensioner problem.
I would not run the engine now until you remove the cam covers to confirm that you have the plastic tensioners. If in fact you find that these are the 1st generation ones then the 3rd generation ones are readily available on eBay or elsewhere on the internet.
Please add you Jaguar details to your signature including the year and mileage along with any other details that you want to include. This will help us out with regard to any issues that you have with your car.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

Completely remove the supercharger belt from the car and started again and see if the sound is better. From what I heard it could be supercharger noises.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:00 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by XJRman

Really hard to tell from the video, however, it did at some times sound to me like an exhaust manifold leak noise....worth checking for cracks in the exhaust manifold on bank a and security of the exhaust mounting bolts...just to be sure?? Hope this helps Allan

Old 09-04-2013, 03:38 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

First of all, I'm not trying to take over your post.

Thats sounds scarily like the noise I'm experiencing. Check out the video on my thread...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...arm-up-101702/

The recording level (gain) was turned way up on my camera so it sounds much louder than your noise, but the tone and rhythm sounds identical. You're recordings sound quality is much better than mine.

I agree with AVT. Remove the supercharger belt and listen again. Also I suggest putting a stethoscope or screwdriver against various points on that side of the engine and listening to see if you can narrow down the location it's coming from.

I'm taking the rocker covers off this weekend, checking the tensioners, sticking a bore camera into the engine to check the valves, rebuilding the front suspension, installing a replacement rear diff and getting the old girl MOT'd.

If I find anything to do with my noise I'll update your post as it could be the same issue. I'll also be keeping an eye this thread so keep us all updated.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:53 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Bondy, if you want i can upload another video to see if t still sounds similar to your sound?

The following users liked this post:
Bondy (09-05-2013)
Old 09-04-2013, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 933 Posts

Another strange sound is that of compression leaking past a loose spark plug. Happens in the best of families. Compressor and accessory drive belts off next.

Couple recommendations for a new owner without complete documentation of maintenance and repair history. Both the original plastic cam chain tensioners and overheating of the engine will kill it dead right there (DRT).

Without clear documentation of the tensioner change you are going to have to pull a valve cover to verify that yours are metal. Your car is old enough to have had the original plastic tensioners replaced with new plastic tensioners. My '00 had that done at 40k and 80k miles and I replaced them with metal at 106k.

Without clear and current documentation of coolant system maintenance you should change the water pump, thermostat, and coolant. While all this is going on check all the hoses for softness. Your XJR has additional hoses under the compressor that are a bear to replace.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,368 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by test point
Another strange sound is that of compression leaking past a loose spark plug. Happens in the best of families. Compressor and accessory drive belts off next.

Couple recommendations for a new owner without complete documentation of maintenance and repair history. Both the original plastic cam chain tensioners and overheating of the engine will kill it dead right there (DRT).

Without clear documentation of the tensioner change you are going to have to pull a valve cover to verify that yours are metal. Your car is old enough to have had the original plastic tensioners replaced with new plastic tensioners. My '00 had that done at 40k and 80k miles and I replaced them with metal at 106k.

Without clear and current documentation of coolant system maintenance you should change the water pump, thermostat, and coolant. While all this is going on check all the hoses for softness. Your XJR has additional hoses under the compressor that are a bear to replace.
Amen.

I forgot about the sparkplugs.....bosch aren't they?

Old 09-05-2013, 05:50 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Bondy, if you want i can upload another video to see if t still sounds similar to your sound?
I may well take you up on that. I'll be in a better place this weekend after I've had time to check everything. If I find anything I'll let you know. Otherwise I'll request that video.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:14 PM
Received 8,244 Likes on 4,972 Posts

The sparking plugs are NGK but I use either NGK or Denso double platinum or iridium.

bob gauff

Old 09-07-2013, 01:05 PM

When I first got the car, the dealer said that they replaced both water pumps, the ignition coils, the spark plugs( i dont know which brand) and a couple of hoses(i dont know which ones). Is it a possibility that maybe the spark plugs are loose? Or could it be that maybe they arent the best brand?

Old 09-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 933 Posts

Loose is real noisy . . . and will burn up one . . . or more . . . of your new coils.