XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Tires anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 03:24 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Tires anyone?

So, today, whilst balancing my throughly worn tires, the tech I had doing it suggested that two of my tires should be replaced due to the machine calling for 13.6 ounces on the inside, and 13.0 ounces on the outside, 26.6 ounces?!

There must be something in there. I need new tires anyway. So I have been shopping around. I really like the Pirelli P6's that are on there now. But I can't justify spending $167 per tire. I can get some Pirelli P7's for $113.66 each. The difference is the P6's are a 98V rating and the P7's are a 98H rating.

What am I loosing if I change over to a 98H?
What were the factory tires that came on a 2000 VDP?
Has anyone ever used P7's before? If so, how do you like them?

Thanks!

Old 07-09-2015, 04:44 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'M IN ENGLAND, SO NOT MUCH HELP TO YOU. BUT, GO ONTO A SITE CALLED
{tyrereview). YOU CAN LOOK AT REVIEWS FOR YOU CAR, PEOPLE WHO HAVE PURCHASED
AND LEFT THEIR REVIEW, TYRE SIZE OR BRANDING !.
WHEN YOU MADE A SHORT LIST, THERE IS A TYRE SITE CALLED (lovetyres) WITH REALLY
GOOD PRICES, HOW THIS HELPS, EVEN IF ONLY FOR TYRE CHOICE !.

The following users liked this post:
XJDanny (07-15-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 04:51 PM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I think you have a number of better choices than the two Pirellis you've mentioned....

What are you going for? Comfort, wear, performance?

Old 07-09-2015, 04:57 PM

I drive a lot.... I drive nearly 500 miles a week. So, I am looking for something that is comfortable, with decent tread life (60k?). I really like the P6's that are on there.... I mean. I really like them, even with basically no tread on them. I've read a lot of good things about Pirelli's. I have a list of tires but the Pirelli's are spot on for price and "quality" in my opinion. And I can have them here in 24 hours.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 907 Likes on 741 Posts

My take: I had Pirellis on my first XJ8. Wore out in 10K. Put Michelin Pilots on: quieter, better wet handling, like new at 26K miles when I sold the car.

Running Cooper C4s on the current car: very quiet, smooth, good wet and snow traction, better handling than the Pirellis or Michelins in the first car.

And if you aren't driving at 120Mph, the H series will work.

The following users liked this post:
XJDanny (07-15-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 05:09 PM

I am not super concerned with road noise. I have had pretty good wet handling with the P6's however, being as worn out as they are, I have had some hydroplaning in heavy rainstorms at highway speeds.

I can get a similar price on some Cooper CS5's V rated.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:25 PM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I assume you're looking for 225/60-16?

Don't get overly hung up on brands - every major brand makes tires in every niche.

If wear is your primary concern, you're going to want lower-speed rated all seasons, which will definitely hurt handling.

You might consider the Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS, which is awful in the snow but respectable everywhere else. It offers a 55k warranty, which isn't quite 60k but within reason. They are a low rolling resistance tire, which may net you some additional economy.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by thesameguy
I assume you're looking for 225/60-16?

Don't get overly hung up on brands - every major brand makes tires in every niche.

If wear is your primary concern, you're going to want lower-speed rated all seasons, which will definitely hurt handling.

You might consider the Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS, which is awful in the snow but respectable everywhere else. It offers a 55k warranty, which isn't quite 60k but within reason. They are a low rolling resistance tire, which may net you some additional economy.
The reviews on the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season's are really great (and correct, I am looking for 225/60R16). Living in Wisconsin, I do need something good in the snow. Obviously snow tires would be my friend. However, I cannot spend the money for new wheels AND two sets of tires for a while.
The P7's looks like they have a 75k mile warranty. The only reason I am set on Pirelli is simply because I love the ones I have, my father has always put them on his car, but I am open to other options.

According to TireRack.com the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season tires I am looking at are the best rated for my car overall.
The ones I am currently looking are a H rated tire.
With the H rating what exactly will I be missing out on over a V rated tire?

Old 07-09-2015, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,370 Likes on 1,077 Posts

I run Bridgestone Potenza RE50's and can safely say the wear better than Pirelli/Michelin. Just a better tyre all round than 6's and pilot sports. What kind of price are they compared to the Pirellis?

Old 07-09-2015, 07:34 PM

From our shop, I am not sure what the price difference is. But the Pirelli's are $113 each. I'm looking to stay under $120 US dollars if possible.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts
Default Similar decision...

I am at the same cross-road as the O.P.

I have it down between two:

Michelin Premier A/S 225/60R16 98h or
Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus 225/60R16 98h

I really need to decide. I have a lifelong relationship with Michelin tires, but never owned a set of Pirelli tires. For my 2001 XJ8 the Pirelli's seem to get very good reviews. I am just scared to try something new.

Help

Old 07-10-2015, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,982 Likes on 7,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Bcrary3
With the H rating what exactly will I be missing out on over a V rated tire?
Besides losing the ability to travel at a sustained 149 mph?

The higher speed rating is usually the result of a stronger casing and stiffer sidewalls.....which generally give you a more crisp steering response and better cornering as well. You might lose a bit of that going to the H-rated tire ...or maybe not. It's certainly not carved into stone that any V-rated tire will give sharper steering/cornering than any H-rated tire. Lots of variables at play and many drivers wouldn't really notice subtle differences....or care too much about them.

If you can find all the characteristics you want in a V-rated tire, fine. Go with it. OTOH, I wouldn't have any misgivings about using an H-rated tire if it better suited your requirements.

Load ratings are a different matter, though. That's something you don't want to fudge too much on.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-10-2015, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

I'm not a huge fan of Pirelli tires; I've had them on a variety of cars and the standout characteristic was fast wearing. I think they wore faster than many other comparable tires (comparable in grip, wear, etc). I thought they were overpriced considering.

I've owned the gamut of tires on different performance cars. My Corvette had several different brands in the time I owned it (came with Sumitomos which is an alias for cheap crap).

My XJR has a nice set of 5 Yokohama YK580 tires for summer (came with car, going to run dedicated snows later and when these are due for replacement, do dedicated summers too), and they are decent tires. They wear well, they grip decently, handle ok; but they aren't outstanding. These work just fine for a daily driver but could be better. They are very well priced for what they are though!

My XKR came with a set of Pirellis that the former owner had put on at the Jaguar dealership. They had 14k miles on them when I bought them and they were on their last legs on the back and very close to that on the front. I put a set of 4 Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport tires on; which are excellent tires for my use of the car as a daily driver when there isn't snow on the ground. There are better handling tires, but these are a very nice daily driver tire. They are much better in the wet than the Yokohamas on the other car. I have 24k miles on these tires and they're at about halfway.

My Audi A8 came with a set of 5 Michelin MXM4 tires that I couldn't be any happier with. They grip well year round, are quiet, and at 30k miles still have excellent tread life. Very expensive but the former owner ate that cost. They work very well on that car.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 421 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by sporty501
I'M IN ENGLAND, SO NOT MUCH HELP TO YOU. BUT, GO ONTO A SITE CALLED
{tyrereview). YOU CAN LOOK AT REVIEWS FOR YOU CAR, PEOPLE WHO HAVE PURCHASED
AND LEFT THEIR REVIEW, TYRE SIZE OR BRANDING !.
WHEN YOU MADE A SHORT LIST, THERE IS A TYRE SITE CALLED (lovetyres) WITH REALLY
GOOD PRICES, HOW THIS HELPS, EVEN IF ONLY FOR TYRE CHOICE !.
There's no need to shout.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bcrary3
So, today, whilst balancing my throughly worn tires, the tech I had doing it suggested that two of my tires should be replaced due to the machine calling for 13.6 ounces on the inside, and 13.0 ounces on the outside, 26.6 ounces?!

Thanks!
If you're seeing those kind of weights, I suspect that your wheels are bent. New tires might not fix it.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mark SF
If you're seeing those kind of weights, I suspect that your wheels are bent. New tires might not fix it.
We thought the same thing, but the tech and I inspected them very closely, and we could not see any visual bends in them.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by harvest14
I am at the same cross-road as the O.P.

I have it down between two:

Michelin Premier A/S 225/60R16 98h or
Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus 225/60R16 98h

I really need to decide. I have a lifelong relationship with Michelin tires, but never owned a set of Pirelli tires. For my 2001 XJ8 the Pirelli's seem to get very good reviews. I am just scared to try something new.

Help
I have 20K on Premier A/S tires on my Passat TDI. They've been great. They trade off a tiny bit of dry grip, to be really amazing in rain. Other parameters - noise, ride, balance, all seem to be fine.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:56 PM

Just ordered the Pirelli's... Should be in Monday and I will take a look at them. Won't be putting them on for a while.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 675 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by 80sRule
I'm not a huge fan of Pirelli tires; I've had them on a variety of cars and the standout characteristic was fast wearing. I think they wore faster than many other comparable tires (comparable in grip, wear, etc). I thought they were overpriced considering.

I've owned the gamut of tires on different performance cars. My Corvette had several different brands in the time I owned it (came with Sumitomos which is an alias for cheap crap).

My XJR has a nice set of 5 Yokohama YK580 tires for summer (came with car, going to run dedicated snows later and when these are due for replacement, do dedicated summers too), and they are decent tires. They wear well, they grip decently, handle ok; but they aren't outstanding. These work just fine for a daily driver but could be better. They are very well priced for what they are though!

My XKR came with a set of Pirellis that the former owner had put on at the Jaguar dealership. They had 14k miles on them when I bought them and they were on their last legs on the back and very close to that on the front. I put a set of 4 Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport tires on; which are excellent tires for my use of the car as a daily driver when there isn't snow on the ground. There are better handling tires, but these are a very nice daily driver tire. They are much better in the wet than the Yokohamas on the other car. I have 24k miles on these tires and they're at about halfway.

My Audi A8 came with a set of 5 Michelin MXM4 tires that I couldn't be any happier with. They grip well year round, are quiet, and at 30k miles still have excellent tread life. Very expensive but the former owner ate that cost. They work very well on that car.

I did a lot of comparison shopping and was considering the new Pirelli P7 as well, and was influenced by the sterling reviews on Tire Rack. However, I also considered how new the tire was and that the number of reviews were relatively few as compared to comparable tires that had been on the market for a while.

In the end I too went with the Michelin MXM4 tires, and got them for the same price as the P7 at Discount Tires. I've been very happy with them so far.

I'm sure the P7 will be a good tire, and definitely let the community know how they work out for you short and long term so Jaguar owners get a sense of how well they work.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
I did a lot of comparison shopping and was considering the new Pirelli P7 as well, and was influenced by the sterling reviews on Tire Rack. However, I also considered how new the tire was and that the number of reviews were relatively few as compared to comparable tires that had been on the market for a while.

In the end I too went with the Michelin MXM4 tires, and got them for the same price as the P7 at Discount Tires. I've been very happy with them so far.

I'm sure the P7 will be a good tire, and definitely let the community know how they work out for you short and long term so Jaguar owners get a sense of how well they work.

I most definitely will, I plan to use them exactly according to Pirelli's instructions (rotate every 3k-4k miles). And see how long they last. My only worry is how they'll be in the snow.. The P6's did okay the one time I drove the car in the snow.

Quick Reply: Tires anyone?