XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Torque Spec for Crankshaft Main Bearing Caps?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2024 | 02:36 AM
|
Default Torque Spec for Crankshaft Main Bearing Caps?

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2001 Jaguar XJR that I recently pulled the motor out of the vehicle due to low compression and a leak down test which showed leakage (air) passing down the rings into the crankcase (oil pan). I have the motor torn down to the point where the pistons are still in the block), piston rod caps and crankshaft and crankshaft main bearing caps are also still intact.

Before I take the bolts off the crankshaft main bearings, would anyone know what the torque specifications are?

If not, would anyone know how to measure what they are currently torqued down to roughly or what do you advise I do best, etc? Only reason I ask is because I would like to remove the crankshaft main bearing caps to reseal that area around the crankshaft with new silicone since the old silicone looks to have disintegrated over time! In my opinion, it just makes no sense to leave it as is and then have oil leaking in that area again whether it's a small or large leak, etc.

I currently have two PDF documents on my computer that do not include the torque specifications for the bolts that I'm looking for. In the one PDF named (Jaguar Workshop Manual - XJ Series 1998 MY On) it just has the torque specifications for the piston rod bearing caps and the other one named (Vehicle Specification 07/2004) only shows the torque specifications for the V6 Gasoline Engine. No help from either two documents, etc.

Below I have included photos of the current state of the block and the photos of the documents I have referenced.

Any information from any engine builders, engine techs, mechanics, DIY guys, etc. Would greatly be appreciated!!

Thank you so much!!
What I was referring to about in my post - V6 Torque Specs!

What I was referring to about in my post - Piston Rod Bearing Caps Torque Spec!

Area where silicione is present from the factory and where oils seems to reside and the reason I want to remove those Crankshaft Main Bearing Caps!

Crankshaft Main Bearing Caps! Anyone know the specifications for these bolts, etc?

Old 05-11-2024 | 02:56 AM
Veteran Member

A torque wrench with the angular arrow helps on these bolts. "M" & "S" bolts yes?

Old 05-11-2024 | 04:03 AM
|

Thank you so much!!!

I do have both an angular arrow torque wrench and a digital torque wrench with angle measurements. However, I do believe that the correct way to torque them down is with the angular arrow torque wrench!

Yes, M & S bolts!

I will follow steps 3 & 4 and steps 5 & 6.

Also, can I reuse those bolts or must I buy new ones?

It does state that: Bed plate bolts must be center-punched after being completely torqued. Center punch bolts must never be reused!

What does that mean exactly?

I did see via your jaguar album, you too, built your motor as well. Anything important or crucial that I should know or be wary about during this process?

First time doing this type of work on this particular motor so I'm just trying to be cautious of what I'm doing or going to do to minimize any potential mistakes. Thankfully I'm very mechanically inclined!

Thank you for your response by the way, I greatly appreciate it!!!!

Old 05-11-2024 | 09:20 AM

You need to find and download my Jaguar Training Course 168 (Engine Repair Course Code 168.pdf) copy from when I worked at the dealer.

I had it copied from a 3 ring paper binder to .pdf so it could be used online.

Gus will have it on his website.