XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Tough time filling up gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 11:10 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is not just a self image....I have that image of you too....those responses got me.....I think you know what your talking about.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:52 AM
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Point one: This statement by SoTxXjr is correct:

"CCV should only close when leak test is being performed."

Point two: This statement by me is incorrect:

" And you'll get the evap leak codes in situations when the engine is running and the CCV is not completely closed."

It should read: "And you'll get the evap leak codes in situations when the leak test is being performed with the engine running and the CCV is not completely closed".

Precedent for the CCV valve failure causing the slow refueling symptoms, independent of my own experiences with this issue, can be found here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...annister+valve

http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/jag...8111501-1.html

Here is a bulletin addressing the subject which I just now found, and does not appear on the Technical Bulletin CD that I have:

http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/jag...7359134-1.html

One of many supporting anecdotal posts of gross emission leak flagged when the CCV sticks open:

http://forums.jag-lovers.org/av.php?1086661i25

SoTxXjr, to the best of my knowledge, your following statement is correct in its entirety:

"JTO - if the refueling problem happens as a result of CCV failing in closed position, then there should be no emissions leak codes register because there is no leak. If fails while open, there could be a leak code, but operations should be normal, including fueling."

And in the real world, sometimes the valve sticks closed and you get no code, but you can't fuel your car. And sometimes the valve gets stuck closed, but has already set an emission leak DTC because it previously was not closing completely: the failure was progressive. And sometimes the valve sticks open and flags a DTC, but never sticks closed to cause the slow refueling symptom.

Even though I suggested in post #6 of this thread that the CCV should be tested before condemning it, personal and anecdotal case histories support my conclusion that the slow fueling problem is most likely caused by a failed CCV valve. That's my testimony, dispute it as you wish or wait for the factual verdict.

The following users liked this post:
prarieboy (11-28-2011)
Old 08-19-2009, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No disputes. Just curiosity. I had a similar problem too, so I am always "learning me something" too. Thanks for providing all the background info. I'll take a look.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:06 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

To clarify the history of this a bit....

For the past few months I have been getting a P0455 (major leak) code flagged when the ECM performs the test (which basically is performed driving it at a steady 60 MPH for 15-20 minutes). During this time I have had absolutely no problem refuelling the car.

In the past few weeks I started developing problem refuelling (as I have described). During this time the code the system starting flagging was P0442? (small leak), which I was kind of excited about. I thought maybe the gas cap was causing the issue.

So what looks like happend is the CCV valve was stuck open for a long time causing the major leak code flagged when the test was performed and now after the solenoid has been pushing on it for a while it finally clicked to nearly closed (giving me the small leak). Of course it could actually be fully closed and I have a leak somewhere.

Also note that the car sat in someone elses garage for about 6 months without being run.

For $60 and hopefully not a colossal effort I will swap it out. After that, if the problem isn't resolved I fork out the $$$ to have the dealer look at it.

I do have what looks like a metal vent line coming from the gas tank to the top of the filler neck. It appears the vent line is "opened" when the little circular shut off tab is pushed in by the fuel nozzle. But I don't know. Given the sudden change in from no fueling problem to a fueling problem the CCV seems to be the culprit.

Thanks for all the help....

Old 08-19-2009, 09:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the problem is actually the rising gas problems. your XJ is relatively insecure about the issue and that makes it timid. you need to spend some quality time together. i suggest that you go buy some beer after work, and sit outside with the car for quality time.

i think you'll find everything will me much better with filling up and you may see as much as 40 mpg if you make a routine out of it.

Last edited by Namor; 08-19-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:33 PM

Thank you Namor, sound advice for us all.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:56 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

A phsychological approach for sure Namor. If that doesn't succeed (as often happens in these sessions), replace the CCV as you had planned. When mine was throwing codes (for small evap leak) my vent tube had corroded on the inside and dropped pieces into the CCV. Can't see it, but if that is occurring also, the new CCV will also, in time, have problems closing.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:48 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Update....

I replaced the CCV valve and that solved the problem! Excellent remote diagnosis JagTech!

I knew it was going to be problem when I took it off. I tried blowing thru the port and it was highly restricted. The valve is seized in some hybrid closed/open state.

So all is well for now, at least I can put gasoline in it. I hope it will also resolve my P04XX codes I've been getting.

Thanks again so much....

Old 08-22-2009, 02:21 PM

Greetings Ron,

Thanks for checking back in, glad I could help you out. I think if you clear your fault codes you'll find that you got a two-for-one fix.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Tough time filling up tank

Originally Posted by JagtechOhio
Yes, I sit here and type out excruciatingly long and detailed responses to questions because I don't have a clue what I am talking about and only want to create a mythical self-image of expertise.
JTO-you get me to laughout loud,thanks for your quick wit,I am finally getting it!

Old 08-22-2009, 06:25 PM

Thanks for that Eagle, if you want a good laugh try out SoTxXjr's latest contributions. Funner is gooder.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:13 AM

But, bear in mind as you read that, while the posts may (arguably) be humorous, the poster: (1) has been crying himself to sleep for two months in a pool of tears, drool, and BBQ sauce; (2) is currently commuting via his father-in-law's horribly under-powered Chevy hunting truck, complete with a back seat full of antlers and a refreshing aroma of ranch sweat, protein feed, and dead deer; (3) is getting evil looks from the neighbors because of the overgrown lawn, piles of laundry leaking out the second floor windows, and early morning wake up calls from an impact wrench and residual cries of anguish; (4) has not slept a full night in three months on account of the new twins, the little blessings that they are notwithstanding; and, (5) has at least five clients who think their problems should take precedent over my beloved jag simply for the reason that "that's what they pay me for." And I haven't even gotten into the wife's anger and threats of divorce or that I can't stop singing my hyperactive 3 1/2 year old's "little Mermaid" songs in what can only be described as a vocal tribute to Sinatra's duet with both Sleepy and Grumpy dwarfs. My biggest problem is that if the wife does leave me over the jag problems, how will I get to work to provide some half-*** service to my clients to pay for the jag repairs or the increasingly more likely next jag purchase?

Strange as it is, I am considering what my next jag will be. Even stranger, I am apparently sleeping better than JTO. Seriously, get off the forum once in awhile and go to bed!

Old 08-24-2009, 11:29 AM

Sound advice, councillor. Where do I send the check..."Under the Sea"?

Old 09-14-2009, 12:52 PM

I had the same problem with my 2000 xj8. I removed the solenoid valve attached to the square box under the right rear wheel. Simple process. I worked the valve back and forth with the aid of a screw driver pushing it either way. A bit of wd40 and it started moving freely. A drop of tranny fluid for future lube and now I can fill my gas tank. I will repost if this fix is only temporary.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:30 PM

JTO -
How much of your original response would apply yo a 2001 XJR? Same problem, slightly different car.

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Old 04-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Interesting. I have had this problem with the X350 as well!

Old 04-25-2011, 04:31 PM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Same Problem, Same Solution

UPDATE: disconnected the battery (negative terminal) for about 30 minutes, and when I reconnected and started her up, no more "Check Engine" light.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Was having the above described difficultes filling the gas tank of my '98 VDP (144K miles), couldn't get more than a few seconds of fill before splash back etc. Removed the CCV cleaned and reinstalled, no dice. Found a good used on one eBay for about $25, installed it (required Torx T30 bit), gas filling problem resolved.

Only question now is will my "Check Engine" light (which came on when I removed the old CCV) turn itself off eventually, or do I need to disconnect the battery or have my mechanic clear the codes manually?

Thanks,

Ian

Last edited by inertian; 04-25-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

I love it when folks re-hash old JTO threads. I sure do miss him!