XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Tracking an XJ Sport: Some questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 03:50 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tracking an XJ Sport: Some questions

hey guys. So as my ownership progresses with my XJ Sport, the more I learn about the car the more I'm eager about tracking it just for fun and on occasion.

How many people have taken their Sports/Rs on tracks, bone stock? Is there anything I should take into consideration (other than the obvious, accelerated wear on rubber bits from the harder use)

I tracked my old Mercedes for ***** and giggles and of course, being an old Mercedes, it completely brushed it off and never had an issue with the car that was caused by tracking it.

I just replaced my transmission and I've learned that overall, once rebuilt, the ZF 5HP24s are pretty durable and reliable (also considering how they were used in BMW 540s and 740s). However, my transmission overheated while driving through heavy snow and was stuck in 3rd with a Gear Fault reading (it's been 100% fine ever since). Do these cars come with transmission coolers? Would it make sense to upgrade the cooler if it comes equipped?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I may have an opportunity to go for a track day in the warmer months.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:40 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

I have driven my XJR unreasonably hard on many occasions and it doesn't seem to have any problems. I did have it on a skidpad once and constantly drifted around it for about 3 minutes, so 4000-5000 rpms when only moving at around 15-20 mph, it went from normal temperature (1/2 on the indicator) to mid-way overheated (3/4 on the indicator). I am not exactly sure what you mean by "tracking" but if you are going to be moving at speed I don't think you will have any problems. I know the XJR has a transmission cooler, but I am not sure about an XJ sport, but I think it probably does. if anything I would go for a set of EBC brake pads, they are much better than the stock pads and have pretty close to no dust.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by JaguarXJR02
I have driven my XJR unreasonably hard on many occasions and it doesn't seem to have any problems. I did have it on a skidpad once and constantly drifted around it for about 3 minutes, so 4000-5000 rpms when only moving at around 15-20 mph, it went from normal temperature (1/2 on the indicator) to mid-way overheated (3/4 on the indicator). I am not exactly sure what you mean by "tracking" but if you are going to be moving at speed I don't think you will have any problems. I know the XJR has a transmission cooler, but I am not sure about an XJ sport, but I think it probably does. if anything I would go for a set of EBC brake pads, they are much better than the stock pads and have pretty close to no dust.

By tracking I mean by taking it to Lime Rock or NJ Motorsports Park or Monticello Raceway for an open track day where you can lap the car all day long for a fee.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

I have driven and do drive my 2001 XJ8 Fast and quickly. I love how the car handles-Can float around in a soothing manner in comfort mode & stick like glue in a nice firm manner in Sport. I find that it handles the bends OK, I have CATs suspension which helps when Sport mode is engaged. It doesn't like the rough stuff though, I try and avoid the pot holes etc but on loose stuff it can be tamed! :P My car is Stock apart from the Falken tyres I fitted in place of the Stupid Pirellis.

I haven't had it on a track, the roads by me are rural so its one big track LOL
Me & my Girlfriend are driving to Germany next year and I am hoping to get a lap around the Nurburgring. I won't be going for gold or anything but will have fun all the same!

Old 01-19-2011, 06:52 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by chinny4290
By tracking I mean by taking it to Lime Rock or NJ Motorsports Park or Monticello Raceway for an open track day where you can lap the car all day long for a fee.
where can I sign up to do that? that sounds awesome! I don't think you would have any problems with your car on an open course, auto crossing seems like it could be strenuous on the car however.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:52 PM

You have to either join their mailing list or check on their websites for when they're offering open track days. It's rare for NJMP or Monticello because they have or are exclusive clubs already...think lots of thousands of $ per year to be a member like you have to at certain country clubs. Which sucks because I can't afford that BS lol.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:42 AM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
I have driven and do drive my 2001 XJ8 Fast and quickly. I love how the car handles-Can float around in a soothing manner in comfort mode & stick like glue in a nice firm manner in Sport. I find that it handles the bends OK, I have CATs suspension which helps when Sport mode is engaged. It doesn't like the rough stuff though, I try and avoid the pot holes etc but on loose stuff it can be tamed! :P My car is Stock apart from the Falken tyres I fitted in place of the Stupid Pirellis.

I haven't had it on a track, the roads by me are rural so its one big track LOL
Me & my Girlfriend are driving to Germany next year and I am hoping to get a lap around the Nurburgring. I won't be going for gold or anything but will have fun all the same!
Your signature line. say that you have a 01 Sovereign.

That can't be correct, no Sovereign in the USA in 01.
As for the CATS, only the VDP Supercharged had it in 01 so, you don't have CATS either. ( obviously the above only apply to US specs cars)

Old 01-20-2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by luc
Your signature line. say that you have a 01 Sovereign.

That can't be correct, no Sovereign in the USA in 01.
As for the CATS, only the VDP Supercharged had it in 01 so, you don't have CATS either. ( obviously the above only apply to US specs cars)
The dude's from Liverpool man...home of the Beatles.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:43 PM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

I should have checked his location!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-20-2011, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by chinny4290
The dude's from Liverpool man...home of the Beatles.
Liverpool: Beatles & The Jaguar X-Type (Built here)

Yeah I have a UK Spec Sovereign but will sometimes call it an XJ8 for short. I do have CATs I know I have because the wires running into the suspension and the fact that it has the CATs Celtic Alloy wheels fitted. It is a good system, though I know some people have run into problems with it I like how the it reacts and works.