XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Trans whine at shift points

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 07:57 PM
Received 59 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Trans whine at shift points

Hi everyone, although my '98 VDP's transmission shifted perfectly and made no unusual noises with 74K on the clock, after reading the many posts on this forum regarding "A" drum failure, I decided to take the recommended preventative course of action by installing the TransGo kit, this week. Since the installation I've noticed that at the shift points there appears to be an unfamiliar whine, for example as it shifts from 1st to 2nd the noise occurs, also from 2nd to 3rd, possibly throughout the gears, but as the road noise increases with speed, I can't hear it anymore. It only occurs at the shift point. It does it about 50%-70% of the time. The noise is not really loud, but at low speed, it is noticeable. I did stop by the garage I took it to and had the mechanic drive it around the block a couple of times. He could hear it, but was at a loss to an explanation. He assured me it was filled with approx. 5 quarts of the correct transmission fluid to the correct level. I must add the transmission still shifts perfectly in both normal and sport mode. The mechanic wondered if it's normal for this mod, to make the noise. I'd also like to add the noise is only when I'm driving, revving motor whilst in park or neutral does not cause it to happen. No fault codes are present. Has anyone else who have had this TranGo kit installed had a similar experience?
Clive

Last edited by cliveb; 05-04-2018 at 08:11 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-07-2020, 01:04 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What you have sounds like what my '03 XJ8 has. It happens most on harder acceleration, and most when the trans is colder. When it fully heats up, and/or the accelerations is more gentle, there is no whine. As you note it happens on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts, but not on the others. I can downshift from 5 to 3, run hard, hit the 3-4 and 4-5 shifts, and no noise. But downshift to 2, and hit the 2-3, there it is. Leads me to wonder if it isn't specific to a certain shaft in the trans?

Mine sounds more like there is a bit of loose thin sheet metal, or a bearing is wobbly. It's a high pitched buzzy wheeeezzsh sound. Mine came on when I had the fluid replaced, and I did not have the TransGo kit installed - they say the German version of the ZF doesn't need it... Not sure. Shifts are tight, no slip. Been that way for 30K miles, and the car now has right at 150K on it. As the fluid has gotten older, i notice it's not as pronounced as before, so I also wonder if it doesn't have to do with the volume of clutch wear particles in the fluid?

The following users liked this post:
Don B (06-08-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 12:03 PM
Banned
Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts

hopefully it's just low fluid make sure the fluid mention lt71141

Don B (06-08-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 10:33 AM
Received 13,379 Likes on 6,595 Posts

What fluid did your mechanic use to top up your transmission after installing the Trans-go kit? The only fluids we know to be correct for use in the ZF 5HP24 are:

ZF Lifeguard 5
ESSO LT 71141
Febi Automatikgetriebeol (ATF) Nr. 29738
VW/Audi G 052 162 A2
Pentosin ATF 1
Ravenol ATF 4/5 HP

Valvoline and other third-party fluid makers offer products they claim are suitable, but research has shown that their chemical properties differ significantly from the above fluids.

Also, did your mechanic follow the procedure for setting the fluid level at the correct temperature of 40 degrees Centigrade? If the transmission fluid is too cold or too hot when the fill plug is reinstalled, the fluid level will be incorrect. Here's one reference for the proper procedure:

ZF 5HP24 Fluid Level Procedures

It's best to read the transmission fluid temperature via a diagnostic scan tool. If an infrared thermometer is used, it should be aimed at the fluid draining out of the fill hole, not at the pan, which acts like a heat sink, leading to false low temperature readings.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 06-08-2020 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:53 PM

Maybe you know ... or can suggest who might, Don...

On the ZF in question, is there anything internal to the trans specific to only the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts, and no others?? A particular shaft, a common gear, a particular set of valves or bearings?

This noise we talk about - it is only on those 2 shifts, it is not there on 3-4 or 4-5, it does not happen on downshifts. It happens in that "relaxed" interval as the shift itself is occurring and the motor is winding down its rpm to match, This is such a specific noise at such a specific place I can't help but wonder if there isn't a specific component unique to those shifts.

My tech is thinking it's really the secondary tensioners, but this noise happened precisely after the trans fluid was replaced. Not saying he's wrong, but the timing is far too coincidental. Plus in 30K miles it hasn't changed or lunched the engine... I'm about to take the car in to have the trans serviced/rebuilt anyway - at 150K it's probably time. (Then also to have the ABS module re-soldered and the shop look at the tensioners and anything else that may need attention). Just want to be able to guide the guy into checking any specific component that you think might be involved.

Thanks - any and all education is very much appreciated.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:28 AM

The filter in the transmission sump pan has an "O" ring seal perhaps it's split or not sealing correctly, causing the fluid to cavitate?
Or possibly the trans fluid level is low. I took mine to 3 different shops who all said the level was OK, I had my doubts because the level checking procedure is so complicated. I ended up buying the "Dip-Stick" conversion and was able to install it myself and able to top it off to the line on the stick, noise went away.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ersion-219228/

Don B (06-18-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 10:54 AM

Please advise how difficult it was to install. Thanks!! I'd rather go that route first than tear the thing down.

OK, edit here - I read your full post - very thorough - thanks. I think my knuckles can take that chore. Shame to have to cop up so many tools to do the work.

Last edited by ErathSawduster; 06-18-2020 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:00 AM

Click on the link in my previous post and you'll find a step by step account of how I did it in my driveway.
Complete the tools I used.

http://meurosport.com/5HP24_Dip_Stick.php

Last edited by cliveb; 06-18-2020 at 11:02 AM. Reason: More information
Old 06-18-2020, 11:11 AM

Indeed Sir. I was too quick on the reply. Superb write-up. Thanks!

Old 07-10-2020, 04:52 PM

RESOLUTION!!

It was low fluid, as many of you all noted. I followed Cliveb's advice, got the dipstick kit. I had a funny feeling the install wouldn't be easy, and took the car to a local mechanic who is well regarded. He dropped the exhaust on the right side to avoid cutting up one of his wrenches. Tube had to be bent a bit to fit around all the other parts, and he topped off the trans with about 1/2 quart of fluid. The whine is GONE! There is still a bit of "grnn-grnntt" going uphill gently at 40 in 5th gear, but it, too, is much reduced.

Thanks to all for their insight and advice!!

The following 2 users liked this post by ErathSawduster:
cliveb (07-10-2020), Don B (07-10-2020)