XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Transmission????

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 10:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission????

Good morning all! This is my second post, thought I'd try again. My last one didn't get much response...I think I have two separate issues but I'll list both here in case they are connected. For the last couple of weeks, my XJ8 will kind of sputter when idling. It doesn't stall out and it's been shifting and running fine otherwise. I drove to work and back Thursday with no issues except the sputtering here and there. Friday morning I went to leave for work, backed out of my driveway, put the car in drive. The car didn't move. It reverses fine, but when in drive it will only move forward very slowly, like its in neutral. If you really give it alot of gas, it will go about 5 miles an hour. So I managed to get it back in my driveway, but that's it. Like I said, never had an issue with this. No warning signs like sluggish shifting or anything. Other than the sputtering occasionally this car has run like a dream. Is there a sensor or something that could be the culprit, or does anyone have any ideas? Also, if you can tell me what that sputtering is that would be great. Mainly want to get it going forward first. Thanks. Oh, with the sputtering, I get the abs/asc not available and occasionally restricted performance light.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:21 AM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Good evening to you Tom. I'm sorry to hear that you also have issues with your transmission... listing back the last few pages with threads about XJ8 it seems that the gearbox problems are new hit around here.

About the sputtering - I had something similar... I would describe it more like whine, but I guess it could be the same. After all the research I did it appears that the main reasons for "strange noises" from the transmission is the low oil level. The same low level could be a reason for the problem with "no running forward".

BUT!!!! Here comes the bad old news... All that I told you could be surely your issue if it wasn't XJ8 with ZF 5HP24 transmission. If you have a good search in the forum you'll surely find a bunch of topics describing the so famous A-DRUM problem. And I really believe that this is what's failing in your car. That's why it's VERY IMPORTANT - NOT TO USE THE CAR until you check it's condition, because soon all your symptoms could bring to a total transmission brake down.

To insure you that your complaints are following to the A-drum I'm attaching a pdf I found last year while searching answers about my own problems with the gearbox. It's a technical report about A-drum failure.

Another good idea is to have a look at this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...y-money-27985/ There you can see good description of the issue as well as photos and many many advices.

If you need more information about ZF full repair guide, manual about removing and disassembling the transmission - just let me know.

Hope this is helpful for you... And I wish you to have your cat back on the road as soon as possible!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
BMW ZF5HP24.pdf (90.8 KB, 154 views)
The following users liked this post:
TomDecker (01-21-2012)
Old 01-22-2012, 01:28 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Try cleaning the TPS connector pins - sputtering and idle speed issues can often be traced back to dirty/corroded Throttle Position Sensor connector pins.

This will cause the restricted performance mode which can seem like a tranny problem, but really isn't. The ABS/TRAC and other errors occur also when this happens - my guess is the CPU in the ECM gets bogged down dealing with invalid TPS data and causes CAN BUS communication back-ups - everything goes haywire.

Last edited by QuadManiac; 01-22-2012 at 01:32 AM.