XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Transmission Failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 06:10 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually bought it here from a fellow member who had it as spare and then sold the Jag,it had 50k miles on it,it works very well.

The following users liked this post:
OldMike (11-01-2013)
Old 11-02-2013, 09:16 AM
Received 8,238 Likes on 4,968 Posts

I buy the ones from 'transpartstech' on eBay.

The first one I ordered I talked to a guy named Oliver and asked 'What if I don't replace the valve body for the over pressure???'
and he told me that the reinforced drum they sold 'would NOT fail in that way.' He said that something else might break but not the end of the drum.

I think the warranty was 5 years or something like that.

Maybe I'm just lucky but I just replace the forward drum, gaskets, filter and fluid.

I've done 3 this way and they are all shifting normally.

bob gauff

The following users liked this post:
MidwestJag (11-02-2013)
Old 11-02-2013, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

I told the transmission mechanic that I am going to do the most cost-effective repair that is possible and smart -- emphasis on cost-effect and not on expedient. If it takes longer to find the right used or rebuilt parts, so be it, we'll proceed that way. He seemed to understand. Therefore, depending on what he tells me on Monday, I might be in the market for a used transmission, but for now I'm holding my breath and hoping it's something he can repair/rebuild himself.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:08 PM
Received 8,238 Likes on 4,968 Posts

When the forward drum is suspected I usually start by pulling the pan and filter.
If the pan has normal debris and the fluid is not BURNT BLACK then I take the next step to inspect the drum.

Remove the gearbox and insert it into a small diameter oil drum 'tail-first' with the bellhousing UP.

Remove the bellhousing and pump as an assy to access the drum.
If the drum is faulty and the clutch pack is OK then the replacement begins......

Just a new drum with the original clutchpack will bring the gearbox back to normal operation if that is the only fault.

I do give the customer the option of taking the gearbox to a proper rebuild shop or installing a good used trans but most people take the repair and go on with their lives.

bob gauff

Old 11-02-2013, 08:12 PM
Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

I spent $1,400 at Jaguar on my transmission. They replaced a wire harness and the solenoid problem came back. A local transmission shop ended up doing the rebuild about 1 1/2 years ago for $2,500. Jaguar is no worse than other dealerships. I couldn't afford Chevrolet either. I think all transmission shops don't like to talk $$ until the transmission is in pieces and on the bench. I hate writing blank checks too. Hopefully you can find a shop you trust. Once it is done, you will good for another 100,000 miles. Life WILL be better when this is behind you.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member

Actually, I have no huge complaints about the way I was treated at the dealership -- other than the fact that I take exception to some of the things they claim that I need.

I read the list to a friend of mine who has no clue how to work on cars and he said that if it was him, he'd probably have had them do all the work they recommended. That's how they make their money, I guess.

I don't mind giving them $150 for their estimate, it gives me a list of things that I can look at myself. As for their prices, I don't begrudge them for charging what they do, nor do I blame them for wanting to do the work with the proviso that once they get the transmission torn apart the cost could go up.

I was treated with respect and never felt like they were trying to get me to do something I wasn't willing to do.

When I balked at the estimate, they asked me what they could do to get my business - when I told them they could fix my transmission for 1/2 the cost of their estimate, the guy never really responded other than to chuckle a little (with me, not at me!). They kept the car for an extra day while I looked around for a transmission shop, and released my car to me immediately upon my request.

All in all, it was a very pleasant experience. I went to the dealership's website to drop them a note about my good experience, but they have no way to do so on their site!

It's too bad, I do like to give credit where credit is due and I truly believe that Alan Wolfson, the service guy that I dealt with, deserves credit!

Mike

Last edited by JimC64; 11-04-2013 at 08:07 PM. Reason: LINE BREAKS ADDED!!
Old 11-04-2013, 05:58 AM
Veteran Member

So there's a member here selling his '98 XJ that has 45k miles on it but the tensioners are shot. $2,500 is all he's asking. I would be interested if he was here in FL not all the way up north in NY!

Today is the day I expect to hear from the transmission shop -- cross your fingers for me!

I spent the weekend looking for another ride (I need a second/third/fourth?) car! I have one car in Wisconsin - it just sits there on a battery tender waiting for me to show! I have my XJ8 and recently I've acquired an S-Type --- both Jags are now in the shop!

I'd like to get something a little off the charts for a small amount of money, even something as odd-ball as an 80's vintage Camaro or Firebird.

Ok, I'm just rambling...I'll let you all know what the transmission guy says.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:46 AM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Mike:
Trouble is, just putting in a tranny from a '98 doesn't solve a) the valvebody wear and b) the weak a-drum. I have been much bolstered by what Bob has said about his successful a-drum replacements. My concern for you, though, is that you have a '03 - on which that a-drum issue was supposed to be resolved. You may be looking for an all out rebuild OR replacement. But if it were me I'd be looking for a lower miles '02 or '03 to swap out if it came to that.

Looking forward to hearing what the transmission show has to say.

Scott

Old 11-04-2013, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member

Still no word from the transmission shop, I was too busy today to really think about it. The good news is my S-Type is back on the road so I can return the rental car and drive the S-Type while I wait for the return of my XJ8.

Wish I had enough money to get a new XFR!!!! Love that new commercial!

Old 11-04-2013, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 894 Likes on 732 Posts

New Range Rover Sport would be my choice

Old 11-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jhartz
New Range Rover Sport would be my choice
Good choice!

Old 11-05-2013, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member

So, I spoke with the transmission shop and he told me that when he started it up it drove just fine - he said he drove it 10 miles before it acted up. He has it in the air right now and will get back to me soon.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

Is it possible the fluid is low? Any changes recently like a radiator swap etc that would drain some fluid? Have him try a drain and replace the filter- maybe that will hold it off for awhile.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:54 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bob what do you do about the a-drum o ring and the two other little seals on the input shaft itself, do you have to buy the whole $160.00 seal kit to get these 3 little pieces or is there anywhere to get them separately? Also I heard the BH to Case gasket can be reused? thx JJ

Old 11-05-2013, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member

The transmission guy got back to me with an estimate -- $2,074.85 for a rebuilt transmission, including labor, tax, etc. (i.e. out the door).

I asked for more information and this is what I got:

Found: Faults P0733 Gear incorrect ratio.
Checked fluid level. Level within sec. Found
metal particles in fluid. Found internal failure
of transmission.

Other option: Replace transmission with used 85K
(used 3 month warranty)

The difference in price? FIFTY DOLLARS!

His charges are:

Rebuilt transmission (sublet) $1,250
Fluid $89.91
Labor rate $617.50
Sales tax $117.44
TOTAL $2,074.85

His alternative option (used transmission) was the same except the transmission is $1,200.00.

Now here I sit pondering my next step. I got my other Jaguar back so at least I am back to driving my own car rather than a rental, so I'm not in any hurry, but I don't want to get hosed, either!

What are your thoughts on this estimate? I know nothing about transmissions, so any advice is welcome. Thanks!

Old 11-05-2013, 05:03 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Mike:
I am frankly shocked by a rebuilt transmission for only $1250. Can that be right? And a whole replacement for only 2K? As I said in a previous post, an independent tranny shop recently quoted me $4300 for the same work - which is more or less what I was expecting. What is the warranty on the rebuild?

Scott

Old 11-05-2013, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member

I didn't ask about the warranty, will do that tomorrow -- I didn't have time to talk to him about it when he called, I just asked for the estimate to be emailed to me.

My online search shows me that $1,250 for a rebuilt transmission is a pretty good price. But I'm checking with another local transmission shop tomorrow.

All in all, I don't think $2k is all that bad, especially if there's a warranty (1 year would be good) since I should be good to go for a few more years. I'll probably have him do it, but I have some questions about it first.

What I posted above is all the information that I have right now. Not enough to make a decision, but enough to mull it over for tonight.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

What EXACTLY is included in the rebuild? Is it $1250 to replace just the soft parts? (clutch packs etc.) The A-drum is $250 wholesale.... The master rebuilt kit is $500 I think... Rebuilt valve body $350 minimum...other odds and ends included they are looking at $1200 before labor. I'll wager if you ask for a specific breakdown of what they are replacing for that price your eyes will be opened. If I am wrong, get that guys phone number because he is going to be very busy at that price.

I can almost hear it now.... "Well, when they opened it up they found some broken parts and it looks like it's gonna be about $4K for the rebuild. I feel bad so I will knock $25 off the labor."

Old 11-05-2013, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dsnyder586
I can almost hear it now.... "Well, when they opened it up they found some broken parts and it looks like it's gonna be about $4K for the rebuild. I feel bad so I will knock $25 off the labor."
I sincerely hope you're wrong, but that is exactly what I thought the Jaguar dealership was going to do, that's why I took the car to this transmission shop, and I explained that to him. I'm going to get a better explanation.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:10 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

I think that the shop knows the 250 $ A drum trick and this is what he is going to invest as new part to pass the warranty period (I don't know the shop so I may be wrong).
No valve body included probably. I would try it with my mechanic in a week-end with minimum investment (A drum and some seals) for a total of 500.

Quick Reply: Transmission Failure