XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Transmission Failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 02:15 PM
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
I just talked to the trans shop and now I'm talking to the other guy to decide my next move. I could just take it to the other guy directly, but I didn't get the impression that it was going to save me any money doing it that way.

BTW Is it unreasonable to request/require all replaced parts to be returned to me if they do a rebuild? Or, am I just asking the trans rebuilder to give me old parts he has lying around the shop?
This idea has been touted as protection from dishonest mechanics. I'm sure plenty of folks have been handed stuff that didn't come from their car and even more stuff that was perfectly fine.
If you ask for old parts be sure you can identify them and will know the difference between good and bad.
If you don't trust your mechanic find another one.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

Basically, I don't trust any mechanic I haven't used before, and I know of no one who has used a transmission mechanic in this area, so I'm kind of stuck using someone I don't know or trust! Bad situation? Yes, but you kind of get used to it in South Florida.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,804 Likes on 2,238 Posts

If they don't want to show you the parts you should be suspicious. But as you say, how would you know they came from your car?

Old 11-08-2013, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member

I'm going to ask to see the parts BEFORE they start the work -- I want to know that they're not charging me for a "full" rebuild if I only need the A-drum replaced, for example. If I ask to see the parts, maybe they'd be less inclined to out and out lie to me, but maybe not!

Whatever happens, it's covered for a year - parts and labor -- for a couple thousand, it's worth it, for much more than that, it's not worth it. So, I'm going to go forward with having the guy take it out and bring it to the trans shop. Hopefully he'll do that Monday (unless he's closed for the holiday, then Tuesday it'll have to be!). I'll keep you all up-to-date.

Wish this was a learning opportunity -- would love to learn how to tear into a transmission -- but I'm just not about to undertake something like that without friendly and expert assistance, which I don't have in person.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,622 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi Old Mike
I found this recommended Transmission Repair shop for BMW ZF transmissions (http://www.noreverse.org/repair.html):
Orlando, Florida
About 170 miles from West Palm:

Florida Transmission Repair - 407-737-0115 website
We have been able to fix these lower mileage units for around
$1400-$1600.00 Of course these are units with all forward gears ok and
no codes, just labor to remove the transmission, replace the d/g drum and
clutches, replace all the necessary seals, gaskets, filter, and fluid.
Ask for Tim

Maybe you have AAA+ auto club membership that provides free towing?

Jim Lombardi

Old 11-09-2013, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member

Also found Jag Repair shop in Pompano Beach - Jaguar Repair by Jag Repairs in Pompano Beach, FL | JagShops.com

Here is their website costly repairs - ourwork

Jim Lombardi

The following users liked this post:
OldMike (11-09-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member

Unfortunately, Pompano is not near where I live -- I do appreciate you finding it for me, though.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member

Old Mike
Jag Repair shop in Pompano Beach - Looks like it is only 38 miles from West Palm Jaguar dealership.

I had to bring my transmission from Cheshire CT to Old Saybrook CT - 49 miles. That was 3 years (Eriksson Industries) did the transmission rebuild (Updated Forward Disk, Updated Valve Body, they rebuilt the Torque Converter and filled transmission with ZF transmission fuild). Their total was $2433 and my mechanic removed/installed transmission $550 plus 3 more bottles of transmission fluid $60.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 11-10-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:17 AM
Veteran Member

Jim -- don't get me wrong, I do appreciate you checking into that for me, but I'm not going to Pompano, not for this and not for anything else - personal reasons, I guess.

I've slept on it for a while now and have narrowed my options down. I am either going to let this kid take my transmission out and take it to the transmission guy for diagnostics (as I stated in a previous post), or I'm going to take it to my local/trusted mechanic and have him drop it and I'll source the rebuild or find a used one for him to put back in.

It's Sunday, I don't have to make that decision today, and tomorrow is a holiday, I might not be able to make that decision until Tuesday! I'll be worring about other stuff today!

Question: Can you find metal in the transmission fluid without taking the filter pan off?

Old 11-10-2013, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,804 Likes on 2,238 Posts

Yes you can find metal without taking the pan off. The four magnets in the bottom of the pan are there to grab steel bits, but there can still be both steel and other metals suspended in the fluid. Just remove the drain plug and examine the fluid.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks, I was actually second-guessing the mechanic who told me there was metal in the fluid since I'm sure he didn't take the pan off.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 869 Likes on 716 Posts

While examining the options, a large piece of the price includes removal and reinstalling the transmission -- a lot of wrenching. Let me suggest that the kid with the car now is probably very efficient at R&R transmissions instead of your tech, whereas his subcontractor specializes rebuilding ZF boxes: shorten the labor saves more money.

OldMike (11-10-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member

Jim - thanks for that post, it's probably what I've been thinking all along but needed a nudge in the right direction.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member

After the long weekend, I decided to let the kid who has my car take the transmission out and let the transmission shop give me a detailed estimate. I probably won't know anything until the end of the week or early next week.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:30 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

If possible please to post a picture with the green plate from the gearbox (when you will see it removed), I am curious what series it is.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by flay
If possible please to post a picture with the green plate from the gearbox (when you will see it removed), I am curious what series it is.
I don't think I'll be there when it's being removed, but if I am, could you please be a little more specific? I might be able to ask the mechanic to take a photo or make a note of what it says, but I want to be able to ask him specifically.

Thanks.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:14 PM
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Jhartz
While examining the options, a large piece of the price includes removal and reinstalling the transmission -- a lot of wrenching. Let me suggest that the kid with the car now is probably very efficient at R&R transmissions instead of your tech, whereas his subcontractor specializes rebuilding ZF boxes: shorten the labor saves more money.
Chances are flat rate time will prevail anyway, unless of course the job runs over. An experienced R&R man at a trans shop will have it done twice over before a general mechanic who does varied jobs has reckoned what tools he needs. I've personally witnessed my old MB go on the lift and have the trans on the bench forty minutes later.
I'd have the trans shop do the R&R, also less chance to eat labor on a warranty repair if ever needed.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:24 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
I don't think I'll be there when it's being removed, but if I am, could you please be a little more specific? I might be able to ask the mechanic to take a photo or make a note of what it says, but I want to be able to ask him specifically.

Thanks.
It's the plate on the left part of the gearbox.

Attached Thumbnails Transmission Failure-modelnumber.jpg  
OldMike (11-13-2013)
Old 11-13-2013, 05:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by flay
It's the plate on the left part of the gearbox.
Thanks, I'll do my best to get a photo of it.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member

The mechanic who will be removing the transmission tomorrow has agreed to email me a photo of the green plate as soon as he takes it out. I should have it tomorrow sometime.

Quick Reply: Transmission Failure