XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Transmission Gear Selector Broke Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Rae
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Transmission Gear Selector Broke Help

Ok, so the 21 yr old took it upon himself to change the oil & filter last weekend. For which, I'm a proud father. However, he had trouble getting the car on and off the ramps by himself and ended up forcing the gear selector, breaking parts in the process.
- The easy one..., he broke the selector indicator disc, I have this out and it has a part number on it (LJA 6195 BF).
- The not so easy....he also broke part of the box (if you will) immediately below the gear selector. This box is nylon/plastic, 3 sided, right side has shift cable bracket mounted to it, along with a couple of switches, the opposite side had a connection/pivot point for a solonoid/actuator (?), that is now broken out, requiring the replacement of this "box".
It would appear that after removal of the center console, I should be able to access all that is needed from the top. Is this so?
Milion dollar questions at this point, what's the 3 sided box called & will I be able to buy this alone, along with the selector indicator disc? Jag Dealer, I presume. Am I on the right track here? Is there a gear shifter assembly available that would include all above that I should be looking for instead?
Or, should I tow to dealer and let them fix. I have the time to attack, and the patience, as he has other transportation. Any assistance or advice would be appreciated. If I don't reply back for a while, it's not for lack of paying attention, I'm on here almost daily. I just suspect that this will be a long term evolution, weather & money driven.
Update:
OK, so I asked before thinking of e-bay. Found several shifter assemblies on e-bay $150 average. Question as to completing repairs entirely from top remains. Looks as if shift cable could be disconnected from shifter and reconnected without touching lower connections....thoughts?
Thanks for reading.
Ralph

Last edited by Rae; 10-17-2010 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Update
Old 10-18-2010, 09:31 PM
Rae
Default Update

After some research I've figured out the following. Part number listed above is for the entire upper module with faceplate, sold by Jag for $247.50 although they are on indefinite back order. Found some on e-bay with or without lower shifter assembly. Without $50 range, with $104 plus. Oddly enough you can buy the "box" (housing) I mentioned also from Jag for $34.70, seemed fair enough. Just swap the guts out... Plan to purchase from Jaguar, and scroung e-bay for upper parts needed. Maybe someone else out there can learn from this.
Ralph

Old 10-18-2010, 10:42 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

I would suggest your local (or not so local) junkyard/recycler - probably a part that is not in high demand, so any appropriate vehicle on the lot should still have the whole package.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:14 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm yr and model would be NICE

Old 10-19-2010, 07:49 PM
Rae
Default I'm an Idiot

Brutal: My apologies. I know better. 99 XJ8

QuadManiac: You're correct with the salvage/junkyard option. I know of one xj8 same yr & color even, in my area, that I've robbed parts from before. I'll give them a call. They are not a u-pick it lot for this type of auto, and I guess I have reservations about them damaging in the removal process. I have the same risk though on e-bay where there are a few to be had from salvage yards.

As far as the problem goes, I guess I've got it figured out as mentioned above, with the only thing left to do, is to get off my tail & purchase items in the most cost effective manner. I do appreciate the feedback from both of you.

Brutal, if swapping out the entire assembly or swapping guts from broken box to newer box is not as cut and dry as it appears, by all means please throw up a flag.
Thank you,
Ralph

Old 01-30-2011, 04:44 PM
Rae
Default Fixed finally!

In an effort to close out this thread. I have corrected my poblem. Purchased a used gear shift assembly and installed. Original problem of shift interlock not working was still present, as expected. Did a search, and came across a thread by rahiggins from 1-28-2009, in the General Tech Section. Exact symptoms as mine, discussed fuses for body processor module being bad as his problem. Turns out, same was true for me, found the bad fuse & replaced. And life is good. Once agan this forum has come through for me! My sincere thanks to those of you that continue to read and post replies in an effort to keep our fine vehicles on the road.
Ralph
99xj8

Old 01-30-2011, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

Rae,

If you post some pics, that would be great. If in the end, you have extra pieces, post those too. I am looking for a replacement black faceplate, that has all the gear positions on it. Mine doesn't light up, plus it has a big crack in it, as seen below.

Attached Thumbnails Transmission Gear Selector Broke Help-img00297-20110130-1747.jpg  
Old 01-30-2011, 08:07 PM
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

These shifter parts and bezels are on FleaBay all the time. I bought a complete unit for my XJ8 last fall.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:17 PM
Rae

Rob,
Sorry for the late reply. I thought I was out of the woods on this one. Worked for 4 days, then continued to blow #7 fuse left heelboard. With regards to your request for pics. The odds of me getting pics posted are slim to none, illiterate when it comes to this topic. The faceplate that came with used unit, had paint drips on it, and in an effort to remove paint, I ended up making it worse than my original (which is also cracked, though at lower edge). My original also did not light up. However, my Son said someone on e-bay was offering a service to place led bulbs on the circuit board. If you would care to pm me, after I'm up and running, I would be more than willing to send you the bezel (looks worse than yours though), or the circuit board if you can find the source to fix. I feel bad that I can't be of any more help. I'll follow up with my Son, and post info if it pans out.
Ralph