XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Transmission Problem - Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 12:39 PM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Transmission Problem - Advice?

Have 126,000 miles on my '98 VDP, started have transmission problems Saturday. Did about 50 mostly highway miles early in the day, everything was fine. Went to take the car out in the afternoon, the "kick" that I usually get when shifting into Reverse was not there. Had to apply gas to back out of my driveway, usually idle takes it right out. Drovea short distance, felt the transmission slipping and catching, got a "Transmission Fault" error code, pulled over and shut down. Waited a few minutes then restarted the car, hoping this was just a random electical gremlin that would exorcise itself. No such luck. Car would barely move while the engine rpms climbed; the error code came back on, then the transmission seemed to lock into a lower gear and I was able to drive it back home.[/align][/align]That night I started the car to see if it would be driveable to get it checked out the next day. Reverse was now behaving normally, but I could barely get the car to pull back into my driveway. "Transmission Fault" code and "Check Engine" light came on.[/align][/align]I know worst case I am looking at a replacement transmission; is there a best case scenario? Any simple things I can check out myself (belts, hoses, fluids) before I have the car towed somewhere? And if I do need a transmission, any advice where to find one at a good price? Are any of the major transmission repair chains worth visiting? Or maybe someone can recommend a good local mechanic I can bring the car to (I live in Suffolk County, Long Island,NY). [/align][/align]BTW, what kind of costs am Ilooking at here?[/align][/align]Thanks.[/align]

Old 12-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Transmission Problem - Advice?

inertian, I am experiencing the same problem with the transmission on my XJ8 that you had. Did you find the cause of the problem, if so could you share it with me.

Thanks,

Old 12-10-2008, 04:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had that problem with my '98. The Mechanics told me that there was a faulty part in the transmission, and that it breaks apart. then the gears begin to fall out, and causes the tran to slip. after they re built it they showed me the broken pieces of metal. i wouldn't goto any of the big trans chains. i was charged about 2k. ill post up pics of the part so you can see it.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm sure there are folks that will differ but Aamco has been the best transmission rebuilder I have found and their warranty is national. They replaced the transmission in a Lincoln for me several years ago ($2300 plus Ford kicked in some warranty money) but who knows if they can do a Jaguar.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:49 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

they can do Jags, we send ours when customers cant afford or dont want to pay for a factory built one. And unless hard parts are damaged, the avg is about $2500