XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Transmission slipping or lurching

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 08:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Transmission slipping or lurching

Hello all,

Developed a new problem that I noticed today. Car sat about an hour, I got in started it and put it in reverse and it did not move for a split second or so. I brought the engine up to about 1200 rpm and it caught and backed up. Proceeded down the road and stopped at a light for a minute or so, light turned green and it did the same thing. No movement when I let off the brake for a second or so and when I rev'd the motor a bit it caught and drove normally. It has done this twice since then.

Sounds and feels like a possible solenoid in the valve body or maybe a torque converter. No codes as yet.

Any insight or things to look for would appreciated.

Pat

Old 06-16-2009, 08:51 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Lots of info on here regarding Transmission issues on our beloved Jags... you issue sounds like it is time for a rebuild or replacement.

At least from what I have read. Not a Jag expert, and I did not sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:58 AM

sounds like time for a fluid chack or change at the very least....these are NOT sealed for life unless life means 100K. I just did a partial change and filter swop on my 02 XJR....VERY glad I did...no issues, but the fluid looked dirty and the oil pan needed cleaning. I changed out 5 liters of fluid and will be doing fluid only changes every 5000 miles at the same time I do the engine oil change for the next 3 times so that by 100K it'll be all good clean fluid. If you can do an engine oil change, it's not difficult and their are many postings on the board about this.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by joey4420
Lots of info on here regarding Transmission issues on our beloved Jags... you issue sounds like it is time for a rebuild or replacement.

At least from what I have read. Not a Jag expert, and I did not sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
I read everything I found on tranny issues on this site. Found a lot, but did not find much resolution. I have also read that the tranny flush is not recommended, if I am to believe what I read. I was hoping I may find something regarding a valve body issue such as a solenoid, etc.

But the drain, replace filter and refill till full sounds like my next step, thanks pjkbrit. I have done this several times on my truck so I know what to do. What is this procedure like for these trannys??

Thanks,
Pat

Old 06-16-2009, 11:27 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default It's pretty involved.

REMOVAL:

1.Raise the vehicle for access.
2.Drain the transmission fluid. NOTE: This procedure will not remove residual fluid from the torque converter. WARNING: TRANSMISSION FLUID MAY CAUSE SEVERE BURNS, ENSURE THAT ALL SAFETY PROCEDURES ARE OBSERVED AND THAT THE RECEPTACLE FOR WASTE HAS SUFFICIENT CAPACITY.
3.Carefully remove the drain plug and drain the transmission fluid.
4.Refit the drain plug and tighten to the specified torque figure. Use a new 0-ring.

INSTALLATION:

1.Remove the fluid level / filler plug.
2.Using a syringe dedicated to transmission fluid only (not used for any other type of oil or fluids), inject transmission fluid until it overflows from the plug orifice. CAUTION: It is essential that only the specified fluid is used. Wait until the flow of fluid has reduced to a trickle.
3.Fit, but do not tighten the plug.
4.Prepare PDU (at the base station).
1.Install the appropriate disk and switch ON.
2.Select the vehicle specification - ENTER.
3.From Engineering Tools select Toolbox - ENTER.
4.From Toolbox select Powertrain - ENTER.
5.Connect MPA and download cable to PDU and base station.
6.Select Data logger - ENTER.
7.Select Transmission - ENTER.
8.Disconnect download cable.
9.Connect MPA to PDU.
5.Connect PDU (at the vehicle).

1.Connect MPA cable to the vehicle diagnostic socket - ENTER.
2.Energize the vehicle ignition - ENTER.
3.From the menu select Transmission oil temperature (TOT) - ENTER.
4.Check that the fluid temperature is <30°C .
6.From above.
7.NOTE: Ensure that the TCM is connected and functioning correctly. Select Park and start the engine.
8.Cycle the gear selector.
•From P to D.
•From D to R.
•From R to P.
9.From below.
10.Adjust the transmission fluid level.

1.Remove the filler / level plug.
2.Inject fluid until it overflows from the plug orifice. CAUTION: The fluid temperature MUST NOT exceed 50°C . Wait for the flow of fluid to reduce to a trickle (for at least 1 minute).

11.Refit the filler / level plug and tighten to the specified torque figure.
12.Check for leaks and remove spilt fluid.
13.Shut down and disconnect PDU.REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION

Old 06-22-2009, 10:12 AM

Well, never got around to the fluid change since the gearbox is now barely working and throwing a transmission fault.

Can barely get her moving in first, then once it is moving it seems fine through the rest of the gears. After I had posted this it was running ok so I was going to accumulate the filter/fluid and go through the fluid and filter change. But then on Saturday it started slipping from at rest through first gear.

Called AAMCO this morning and they want about $4k for a rebuild and that's if there are no damaged hard parts. Anybody else use a different source for a reman or rebuilt gearbox?

I can handle the swap as I have done a couple transmission swaps before, but I was hoping not to have to fork over $4k for a AAMCO rebuild.

Pat

Old 06-22-2009, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can try Ebay. I know there are a few on there right now well under 4k with warranty.

Last edited by CROFA; 06-22-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by CROFA
You can try Ebay. I know there are a few on there right now well under 4k with warranty.
Thanks, I looked there earlier and I might just buy a reman'd tranny from a 1 stop transmissions. He has an 18 month warranty unlimited mileage. I need to find a new torque converter, don't want to use the old one as it has 130K on it.

I have noticed over the years that most of the vendors are on the east coast. Kinda sucks for shipping. You would think I could find something on the west coast possibly within driving distance to make life Cheaper.