XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Transmission Work? Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015 | 01:02 AM
|
Default Transmission Work? Problem?

Hi all,

I am dropping my transmission because my main seal is busted. I did part of the job and will continue to complete it this upcoming weekend. However, I will need your expert guidance to continue to complete the job. I followed the JTIS21 posted by jimlombardi - https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...l-44.20.01.pdf
However, I am stuck at page 10. I have no idea how I can rotate the crankshaft to have access to the 3 bolts that secures the torque converter to the drive plate. I've researched a bit and read that rotation of the crankshaft may be done by where the car is turned to on position and while placing it in neutral or drive and turning the wheel will rotate the crankshaft (not jaguar specified in my reading/research). However, as I tried it on my jag today, there was no rotation at where the 3 bolts hold the torque converter to the drive plate. So I cannot access the 3 bolts.

My questions are: #1... Did I hurt or could I have ruined my transmission because in order to put it in neutral/drive I did end up having to reconnect my battery in order to shift it in to neutral/drive? (Keep in mind, I've already drained the transmission oil; and while having it in gear, I see the GEAR FAULT and TRANSMISSION HIGH TEMPERATURE warning light come...NOTE: the car was never cranked/started at this point). Is this something to worry about? #2... How do I rotate the crankshaft safely without harming the transmission? (Keeping my fingers crossed that I haven't already harmed it from what I did in my earlier description). #3... After rotating the crankshaft to access bolt, how do I hold it to prevent movement so I can't remove them. #4... Once these bolts are removed and after the reinstallation of the transmission, would I have to get it to Top Dead Center, and if so, how?

Please give me your expert guidance/advise on what to do and how to do it. Also, do me a favor and please dumb it down I bit with detail descriptions so I can grasp it as I am a newbie and this is my first time doing this job. Thanks much to all in advance