XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Tune up ? 03 xj8

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 06:59 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Tune up ? 03 xj8

Ok I have 68k miles on my new to me xj8, and I know after speaking the to previous Maintenance shop that it is due for service, i.e. plugs, fuel filter and such.

I figure I will stick with stock plugs (I am very happy with the way the car drives), I also know that some plugs just don't live up to the advertisements.

I also know I should change the fuel filter, I have a downloaded version of the JTIS (dang I hope there is a better service manual out there and yes I am willing to pay for it as long as a Jaguar mechanic says it is worth the money... anyways where in the world is the fuel filter located?

I also want to change the transmission fluid (yes I have read almost every post on doing this and will opt for the long and slow route of draining and adding so as not to change all the fluid at once.

How about the rear differential fluid? What is the recommend weight of the oil and is this hard to change or just like any other vehicle out there (top plug to fill and bottom to drain)?

Other than air filter then is there anything else that will need to be done? I also plan to have the injectors clean out, but figure I will have to take it somewhere for that since I do not own the proper tools for this job.

I know a long post, but hey how else will I learn if I don't ask.

P.S. in the Land Rover community we have a RAVE CD that is basically the Land Rover Repair manual on disk (I love this tool), what is the best option for the Jaguar?

Old 12-02-2008, 07:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Tune up ? 03 xj8

I'll answer what I know, and leave the rest to others.

I'd stick with stock plugs on a stock car.

Fuel filter - assuming it's like my '01 XJR, it's above the driver's side rear suspension, not far from where the fuel line goes into the trunk. Have fun with that one. I just did! It's not that bad, but harder than a fuel filter should be. Just a little awkward getting to.

P.S. I don't know what is up with the apostrophes. I tried to edit them, and they got worse!

Old 12-02-2008, 07:12 AM

I Was figuring stock plugs, so thanks for the confirmation. Fuel filter sounds as fun as my Land Rover it was rusted on and took almost an hour to get it off after disconnecting one end.

Thanks for the reply, was starting to wonder if anyone was going to reply.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

coolant flush, clean the MAF and throttle body - let me know if you find a better manual than JTIS - I would like a better one as well.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:44 PM

I was think Coolant flush as well, shouldn't I also change the hoses? Cleaning the MAF is not a bad idea. I have read good things and bad about cleaning the Throttle body.. If you mean the butterfly, then no issue what else on it would need cleaned. I am presuming people that I have read saying not to clean the throttle body must be cleaning something other than the butterfly...

Old 12-03-2008, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 308 Posts

Joey, it sounds like we have quite a bit in common. You have some good ideas there also. As far as manuals go, it seems like the JTIS and Alldata.com are the only decent options. Alldata charges per yearly subscription. I signed up for it, I can't recall the price, something like $25. Then it gets cheaper the next year. No affiliation - but I think it's pretty decent. I have a new fuel filter layingon the shelf, and I am planning to do a tranny fluid swap too, but I think I'll wait until I have some time and the temp goes up ! Good luck.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:09 PM

JimmyL, scary how people can be drawn to British Vehicles... I love my Rover, and my Jag. As I say on the Rover forum I frequent Owning a British Vehicle is like adopting a child some days are good, some days are bad, but once you have one you can never get them out of your lives.

If you ever have Rover questions your welcome to stop by http://www.landroverworld.org/ I will be the guy with a ton of posts answering 90% of the Discovery questions.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:23 AM

Another question, what type of plugs (can of worms) does everyone recommend, and is there any to avoid?