XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Two dumb questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Two dumb questions

Have a 98 VDP and have done a lot of upgrades to it, I have been reading the threads and many have had trouble with there subwoofer in the Harmon Kardon up graded sound system. I to need to up grade my subwoofer, but the rest of the sound system is very good and I am not a rap lover just want a little base. Have removed the sub and ran wires into the trunk. The out put is very low and will not drive just any old speaker so thought I would get a bazooka with a double low input and mount it in the trunk.Needed some input on this. next question is how do I get my jag from my wife??

Old 10-06-2010, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

@deerebill

If you have the sub out you will already have noticed the problem..... there is very little clearance between the top of the fuel tank and the parcel shelf, so you really can't get a large sub in. I have seen cars with subs mounted in enclosures on the right hand side of the trunk but I have always been puzzled as to how the sounds could get into the cabin, as I think it has to travel through the air, and the only air hole is the hole in the shelf for the sub.

By the way, you mentioned you have the "upgraded Harmon Kardon" system in your car.... actually it's the other way around. The Harmon Kardon system was the standard system and the Alpine system was the upgraded system. According to the wiring diagrams the Harmon Kardon system doesn't have an extra amp and subwoofer.... is it possible someone has already been fiddling with your car ?

Old 10-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had thought that I read some were that if you had a sub mounted on the rear shelf it was upgraded but maybe I am wrong.Anyway I removed the sub from my car and extended the four wires into the trunk thinking that I could install a bazooka style sub with the opening towards the opening that is there.Question is will the output of my system drive a sub with a amp that has double low input.Thanks
Bill

Old 10-07-2010, 01:44 PM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by SARC
@deerebill

By the way, you mentioned you have the "upgraded Harmon Kardon" system in your car.... actually it's the other way around. The Harmon Kardon system was the standard system and the Alpine system was the upgraded system. According to the wiring diagrams the Harmon Kardon system doesn't have an extra amp and subwoofer.... is it possible someone has already been fiddling with your car ?
WRONG, the Xj8, in both "regular" and premium sound sytem used HK up to the 99 MY and Alpine from 2000 MY

Old 10-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

@luc

I stand corrected, thanks. I've done quite a bit on the audio systems on these cars and its all starting to blur together :-)

Old 10-12-2010, 01:51 PM
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

On the "How do I get the Jag from your wife" question: 1) Develop any repeating and annoying problem -- like battery drain -- such that she has to call Triple A more than once to have the car jumped. 2) Wait for the ignition switch to wear out such that it requires extra effort to turn it hard enough to actually start the car to compound the problem. (If you can't wait, I have been thinking about replacing mine and could provide the worn out part.)

Ironically, after I traded my 99 BMW 323 convertible with her, the Jag has not since had a problem with battery drain. The ignition switch continues to act up occasionally, but that hasn't been a problem for me.