XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Two quick alarm questons and NAV question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two quick alarm questons and NAV question.

Hi guys,
I have not posted on here in a while, but I decided to buy a one owner 2001 XJ8 and I have two questions on the alarm system:
1. Can the lock/unlock tone volume be raised? Its VERY difficult to hear unless its dead quiet around the car...
2. When you unlock the car with the key, the alarm starts beeping for about 10 seconds before the full alarm starts-similar to the old XJ40 my dad has. However, on my friends 2002 XJ8 it does not do this (it just unlocks without the beeping). Since this is not indicated in the manual I'm guessing the cars are programmed differently. Could somebody confirm this with their car?
3. Is the navigation system definitely installed if the radio head says "NAV"? When I push that button, nothing happens. Is the system just provisioned for it and not really equipped with it?
Thanks in advance, you guys were wonderful the last time in helping me out with the XJ6.

Andrew

Old 10-24-2010, 11:48 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by xj40driver
Hi guys,
I have not posted on here in a while, but I decided to buy a one owner 2001 XJ8 and I have two questions on the alarm system:
1. Can the lock/unlock tone volume be raised? Its VERY difficult to hear unless its dead quiet around the car...
2. When you unlock the car with the key, the alarm starts beeping for about 10 seconds before the full alarm starts-similar to the old XJ40 my dad has. However, on my friends 2002 XJ8 it does not do this (it just unlocks without the beeping). Since this is not indicated in the manual I'm guessing the cars are programmed differently. Could somebody confirm this with their car?
3. Is the navigation system definitely installed if the radio head says "NAV"? When I push that button, nothing happens. Is the system just provisioned for it and not really equipped with it?
Thanks in advance, you guys were wonderful the last time in helping me out with the XJ6.

Andrew
I'm no expert but I will give it a shot. You can find owners manuals here which may prove useful.

1. Unknown ( I have thought the very same thing?)
2. Sounds like your key is not programmed to the car so it thinks you are breaking in to your own car. Search the forum for the car key / fob programming procedures.
3. Check to see if the Nav unit is in the trunk. It will be on the left hand side and clearly labeled. If so check the owners manual, you may just need a Nav disc to get it to activate.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:03 PM

Hello!
I keep trying to open up the navigation manual from the jaguar website for my car, but firefox keeps crashing when it opens...? I looked in the trunk, it does have the disc player so I will look online for the disc. All of my four keys start the car (so I'm assuming they are all programmed correctly), I would just like to know why my car is programmed differently as to not disarm when unlocking with the key, while others do.

Thanks!

Old 10-24-2010, 01:24 PM

Try using IE for your browser to get the manuals. They are PDF's, so once you get them, just save them to your hard drive for future use. They don't have all years all manuals out there, but the 2000 through 2003 are all the same generally, so just gather them up in any of the years to get the ones you need.

As to the keys, do all of the keys set the alarm off or is it just one of them? If it is all of them, then there could be an issue with the switch at the door not sensing the key properly.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:47 PM

Thank you for the input, I will download IE and get the manuals.
They dont really set off the alarm, but sets off a series of beeps before the real alarm starts. (watch this video at 1:14, it does EXACTLY as this) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1xBUL2BvRk . This leads me to think my car is not programmed to USA, because my friends just unlocks. What happens when you unlock your xj8 with the key?

Andy

Old 10-24-2010, 02:16 PM

Thank you for the input, I will download IE and get the manuals.
They dont really set off the alarm, but sets off a series of beeps before the real alarm starts. (watch this video at 1:14, it does EXACTLY as this) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1xBUL2BvRk . This leads me to think my car is not programmed to USA, because my friends just unlocks. What happens when you unlock your xj8 with the key?

Andy
Very interesting, mine does not do what that X300 model does in the video, but rather it behaves as you have described by your friend's 2002 model. I have almost never used my key to unlock so I wasn't really aware of the possible behaviors. When you go to look for manuals, you might want to try the jaguar main site, not the USA site, and get manuals on ROW models to see if there is a different behavior than the North American models.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:22 PM

I looked at a UK manual, and it states if you unlock the vehicle with the key, the doors will unlock, and the full alarm will be delayed for 15 seconds while a "ticking" (beeping) sound takes place. So I guess my car is programmed to UK specifications. I wonder if my dealer can reprogram the car, because when I go skiing I never bring my entire key ring, only the master key taped to the inside of my jacket so I don't lose the other keys.

Andy

Old 10-24-2010, 04:18 PM

I looked at a UK manual, and it states if you unlock the vehicle with the key, the doors will unlock, and the full alarm will be delayed for 15 seconds while a "ticking" (beeping) sound takes place. So I guess my car is programmed to UK specifications. I wonder if my dealer can reprogram the car, because when I go skiing I never bring my entire key ring, only the master key taped to the inside of my jacket so I don't lose the other keys.

Andy
There you go, that explains the difference. I bet the dealer can reprogram it, if not, you just have to put your key in the ignition to disable the alarm before you do anything else. Not the complete end of the world.

At least you now no the difference.