XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

UPDATE!! (as promised)

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

Happy days! I have a WAG theory that only 50% of the cars that break a timing chain hit the valves, but when a mechanic assumes and opens the cam cover, a new engine is a given.

Maybe a sticky titled BROKEN TIMING CHAIN? CHECK YOUR COMPRESSION is in order?

Old 11-12-2013, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by danielsand
I've read SEVERAL negative comments on this (and other) forum against ziptie method. All I can say is,....whoever came up with that is a genius. VERY logical, very straight forward, and even a "cave man" can do it.
I've done DOHC cams seized to the journals by just making sure to keep the bottom of the timing belt engaged with the crank sprocket and remaining sprockets on the other head using a bungee cord while the journals were "refurbished" using emery paper rolled on a deep socket as a mandrel. Obviously, *both* cams were out and detached from the belt.

This was after the dealer quoted $3500 for a used motor 15 years ago. No argument there, the cams were clearly seized. Just didn't want to spend the money. The same deal as on a Jaguar V8 ... steel cam on aluminum with no bearing shells.

All caused by popping the cotter pin on the oil pump pressure relief valve on a cold start on the coldest night of the year.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:34 AM
Received 283 Likes on 176 Posts

"Bungee cords" holding the primary? Now that's "McGyverism" at it's best! I'm glad that I am not the only one (been called "McGyver" many times in the service). People used to come to me for "solutions" to all kinds of technical problems involving veaponry, equipment, or tactics. I know what the "proper" procedure is (even in the case of a broken secondary chain on X308), but I am always looking for "shortcuts", either to save time, money, or back in the service,...lives, and equipment.

Every problem has a solution, and despite what the "purists" will tell you, every problem has more than one solution, and sometimes MANY. Which one is "right", and which one is "wrong" (how can "solution" be wrong in the first place?), it's up to the individual to decide.

I decided to fix my cat the way I did. It worked, she's running beautifully, and there are no issues. That makes this the "right" solution. If my timing was off afterwards (and I had to take it to the dealer for timing), this would've been "wrong" approach, but still the "right solution", because before my intervention, the car had to be towed to the shop, and even with off timing after the chain replacement, it was driveable.

Anyway,......I joined this forum precisely because of my passion to look for "unorthodox" solutions to some electrical, and mechanical problems with X308. I've learned a lot from all of you, and I hope I contributed a little as well.

The following users liked this post:
Platinum XJR (11-13-2013)
Old 11-13-2013, 10:50 AM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

Hi Daniel, I am happy you sorted out your car, I had a similar problem with a Ford Sierra years ago, broken cam belt with no valve damage at the end of the day and can understand your emotions.
What Range Rover do you have now? The L322 (2002-2006) , 4,4 l engine, have the 5HP24 gearbox, so a lot of common things.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by flay
Hi Daniel, I am happy you sorted out your car, I had a similar problem with a Ford Sierra years ago, broken cam belt with no valve damage at the end of the day and can understand your emotions.
What Range Rover do you have now? The L322 (2002-2006) , 4,4 l engine, have the 5HP24 gearbox, so a lot of common things.
Yup,.....that's why I opted for that one. L322 (2006) in Zambezi Silver, with all options, and 56K on the clock (59K now). This was purchased strictly as the "Traveling Flea Circus" (that's what we call our dogs, although they don't have any fleas) vehicle. Two GSDs and the Alaskan Malamute travel in style. Since we have to fold the back seats for them to fit, the "entertainment package" (DVDs in the headrests) is completely useless. Otherwise, they like to watch cartoons, don't ask me why. They are WELL trained dogs (GSDs are police academy "dropouts"), and they travel well.

Going out to the restaurant on the trip, is no problem. Leaving the three beasts in the RR,......you don't even have to lock it! I could only imagine the look on the potential thief's face, if he would be stupid enough to enter the vehicle. Dogs are sleeping in the back while we're driving, or if we are not in the car. Potential thief would NOT even see them (VERY dark tint!) until he/she opens the driver's door!

Old 11-13-2013, 02:10 PM

I have only one German Shepherd and I take him during Sunday walk in my LR Discovery (yes, it was not enough only one English car, then comes the Jag.), around the forests but he's always barking to everybody.
If you need any special part for the RR, I have a good parts source in the UK, he just re-imported some containers with new parts from UAE and have a lot of obsolete things(new engines, boxes,plus many other). He's Briton, I just met him about 5 years ago and becomes my no.1 part for spares, I can send you a link from his site.

danielsand (11-13-2013)
Old 11-13-2013, 03:33 PM

My dogs don't bark. Only if the situation calls for it, they let out that menacing deep growl. GSDs are male/female couple (girl is Gina/100lb. and Rommel/125lb), and the Alaskan is a girl (Natasha/135lb). They are BIG, and dangerous animals (with ME, they are just playfull puppies!).

The link for RR parts would help, of course. Thank you. I joined the RR forum, and I'm reading EVERYTHING (just like I did when I came here). British vehicles have bad reputation, but I am willing to work on them, as a confirmed DIY type. There is probably no car brand on the planet, that I didn't own/work on at one time (even Soviet Lada's, East German Wartburg, Trabant, NSU Prinz, many FIATs, Renault, Citroen, etc.) My girlfriend at the time (I lived in Europe for 30+ years on and off) owned Wauxhall Viva, and I worked on that too. Also Hillman Hunter, and Austin.

Bad reputation nothwithstanding, there is no other luxury brand (talking about "high end" Brits!), that appeals to me. As quirky as the Brits are (no ofense to our friends in Britain!), they make cars with STYLE and FLAIR. I owned every German brand in the past too (still have two), and they are very "Teutonic" (like people in general,....dry, bland, and with no sense of style and humor!). As a 50% German and 50% Austrian (in my book, one and the same!), I can make that statement without offending anyone I hope?

I looked into your Disco as a dog hauler too, but I decided on L322 because it offers more "luxury", and the same off road capability. For now,....I'm happy with the vehicles I have. Will I get bored, and look for something else? Of course. I change cars more often than women, and I get tired of looking at the same dashboard all the time.

The X308 dash is the one I could never get tired off! And having as many vehicles as I do, I rarely drive the same thing two consecutive days.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:18 AM

I don't know if you ever repaired a Dacia , our national car, typical car to be repaired on the side of the road or around the block. Moskvich was my father's car, I repaired its gearbox when I was 14 (under surveillance of course).
If you need some hard to find RR parts you can try Home > Britcar (UK) Ltd , ask for Duncan, the owner (I am Flavius by the way, he offered me very good prices and services ) , on the site they don't have too many but they have big stock and next day delivery from LR.

danielsand (11-14-2013)
Old 11-14-2013, 01:59 PM

Dacia is actually a Renault made in Romania under French licence. Some were copies of the Renault, and some were copies of Simca. (one of my girlfriends owned Simca 1000, and I am REALLY familiar with that one!!). I never worked on one, but I drove them, .....I also drove Moskvitch, and ZIL (Zhiguli), and LADA, but never worked on them. In the 60s, early 70s, I lived in Belgrade, Yugoslavia, and those cars were everywhere. I also worked on Peugeot 404, and 504! How about Skoda? Ever worked on one of them?

During my times in Belgrade, I also visited Bucharest several times. Since the gas was VERY expensive in Belgrade, we drove either to Hungary, or Romania to fill our tanks.

Warthburg was my favorite to work on (two stroke!), because it was so similar to my motorcycle at the time (I rode Jawa, CZ, and MZ at that time,....all two strokes!).

Ahh,......it would be good to be young again!

Old 11-14-2013, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 896 Likes on 734 Posts

" . . . It would be good to be young again."

^^^k, let's not go there!

Old 11-14-2013, 03:24 PM

Yes, Renault (8 and 12) all the way... they helped us making the factory in Romania in the 60's, but the big chief got angry a few years later and they had to leave the country. After '89 changes, the french guys returned in the 90's and now the new car is a real success in Europe.

If you intend to visit Romania again, just let me know (I like taking my father to Berlin every few years to remember his visit in the 70's), it's a peaceful country, no need for Colt or Glock.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by flay
Yes, Renault (8 and 12) all the way... they helped us making the factory in Romania in the 60's, but the big chief got angry a few years later and they had to leave the country. After '89 changes, the french guys returned in the 90's and now the new car is a real success in Europe.

If you intend to visit Romania again, just let me know (I like taking my father to Berlin every few years to remember his visit in the 70's), it's a peaceful country, no need for Colt or Glock.
I know. Romanian people are nice (so are the girls!). Back in a day, we were transporting arms to Croatian rebels, and my transport got caught by the local police in Austria. Did some "time" with Romanians in Klagenfurt. Good people. Straight. It took over six weeks for the US government to secure our release ("The Storm" was raging in Croatia, and we, the Americans, planned and supplied it). It's history now, but I have scars to remind me.

Funny,.....since I speak fluent Italian (among other languages), I found out (in Klagenfurt), that I can understand Romanian pretty well. They understood me well too. Good times.