XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Upgraded Media Player for x308?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2023, 07:03 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Upgraded Media Player for x308?

Hello all, does anyone have any idea/resources to swap out the head unit on the sound system? I wanna upgrade from the old button unit to something modern, touchscreen preferably. I saw someone here upgraded to a screen but I was unable to find the forum. Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Last edited by ericnunez; 11-28-2023 at 11:43 PM.
Old 11-29-2023, 01:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

In my opinion a digital screen would look out of place in a 308, however it is possible to add Bluetooth connectivity to the system via 3rd party components. There is a company in the UK that does this: https://jagdroid.org/jagdroid-bt/

If I decide to keep my XJR long term then this will be the system I’ll be installing as I’ll be able to use my iPhone to stream music.

The following users liked this post:
Addicted2boost (11-29-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 02:50 AM
Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts

There is really not much space behind the headunit. This makes selecting the unit more difficult.

Old 11-29-2023, 05:04 AM
Received 212 Likes on 122 Posts

I've tried three different solutions, first in my 2001 XJ8 then later in my Daimler Super V8. I'm in the UK so, besides wanting Bluetooth for streaming and handsfree calling, my priority was to get DAB (Digital Radio). I know you'll have different priorities in the US but I think my experience is still relevant.

First off, I purchased one of the many single DIN adaptor plates available on eBay and other retailers, and installed a single DIN head unit. I used this one after making sure it was shallow enough to fit behind the fascia - there was plenty of space for a unit of this size.
Amazon Amazon
. The quality of the unit and the bluetooth and handsfree options was excellent. I had to buy the appropriate wiring and steering control adaptors but they were an easy fit and enabled the electric aerial and steering wheel controls. There are a couple of options, depending on which head unit you have (amplified or non-amplified if I remember correctly), so make sure you get the right ones.

On the other hand, it looked dreadful so I decided to try other options. I decided to try out a cheap Chinese android unit and ordered a single DIN Joying unit: https://www.joyingauto.eu/joying-new...ar-stereo.html. The advantage of this unit (besides the fact that the 6.2" screen size fitted the available space perfectly) was that it had a detachable screen. This enabled me to put the actual unit itself behind the single DIN adaptor plate and then modify the plate to accommodate the screen which I then fixed to the plate with epoxy. Although the screen is rather out of keeping with the 308 as mentioned by @Stu 1986 , it actually looked better than the single DIN Alpine unit and besides giving me DAB, Bluetooth and HandsFree, it also enabled GPS Navigation and allowed me to have a permanent dashboard connected to a Bluetooth ODBII connector which was quite cool. I believe you can also buy an adaptor for US satellite radio but music apps connected through your phone's hotspot also work really well. I've attached a photo to give an idea of what the installed device looks like.

I then sold the XJ8 to buy @c16rkc 's Daimler SuperV8. I could live with the digital screen in the XJ8 but it would have felt completely out of place in the Daimler. Chris had already installed a Bluetooth connector (you can follow his great instructions at
) but it had three issues for me: first, you have to have a cassette in the drive to enable it and that results in some background noise; second, it is only for streaming so while I could stream Digital radio from my phone, I couldn't use Handsfree. At this point, I decided the best way forward was to install my old Pure 600 Highway. This connects to the radio via a spare FM frequency and gives me DAB, Handsfree and Bluetooth streaming. I know there are similar products available in the US and of all three options, I think this is best. It gives you all the functionality you need while not altering the standard fitment. Sure, there's no GPS but what are phone mounts for? The only issue I found was that finding a spare FM frequency can be tricky and often results in some interference. Fortunately, the Pure product also allows AUX in so I followed @Gopi Hira 's sticky and spliced and AUX port into the CD changer cable and connected through that - FM frequency problems are no longer an issue now.

I hope this helps. I did love the modern feel of the android head unit but then realised that one of the reasons I drive old cars is because modern touchscreens are awful in cars for reasons of usability and safety. I feel I now have the best of all worlds - proper buttons with modern convenience...

One of the nice things about the Joying unit is that you can match the button lighting to the standard Jag lighting colours...

The Pure Controller when I was still connecting through the FM frequency.

ericnunez (11-29-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 05:43 AM

Oh, and I forgot that the Joying unit also enables wireless CarPlay and Android Auto.

ericnunez (11-29-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 05:53 AM
Received 264 Likes on 157 Posts

Do those pure things work properly?

I've tried a could of DAB add-ons like that over the years & none of them got a good enough signal to listen too.

Old 11-29-2023, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Hooli
Do those pure things work properly?

I've tried a could of DAB add-ons like that over the years & none of them got a good enough signal to listen too.
I've got two of the Pure devices in the Daimler and my old Volvo and they work perfectly. I think it's all about getting the aerial right - you can use a stick on or the standard antenna with a powered splitter. In the Daimler I've got a stick on aerial tucked away at the bottom of the rear window with an extension hacked into the standard Pure powered connector and in my '82 XJ6, I've got a blaupunkt digital radio with a powered splitter connected to the standard aerial and that also works fine. I've been all over the country in all three cars and never lost signal except in those areas which simply aren't served by DAB. Do you have digital over there in Yorkshire?

I can share my little hack for the Pure aerial if it helps.

Hooli (11-30-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 741 Posts

I run a Kenwood DPX501BT going on 9 years now in mine. it has bluetooth,satt.,usb, hands free etc. Also looks like it belongs w/ no major hacking of the dash for fitting so I can easily go back OEM. Really good bang for the buck, even more so now years later w/ the price drop.

Last edited by King Charles; 11-29-2023 at 10:50 AM.
ericnunez (11-29-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

I've been tempted in the past, with some elegant solutions on this forum, but just cannot do it. Everything else from the head unit back has been updated, but it just has to stay ( it's the same as the Aston Martin Vanquish of the same era).
A simple Bluetooth kit and a smart phone gives you everything mentioned like hands free calls navigation streaming media...

Old 11-30-2023, 04:02 AM
Received 264 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by markdpeter
I've got two of the Pure devices in the Daimler and my old Volvo and they work perfectly. I think it's all about getting the aerial right - you can use a stick on or the standard antenna with a powered splitter. In the Daimler I've got a stick on aerial tucked away at the bottom of the rear window with an extension hacked into the standard Pure powered connector and in my '82 XJ6, I've got a blaupunkt digital radio with a powered splitter connected to the standard aerial and that also works fine. I've been all over the country in all three cars and never lost signal except in those areas which simply aren't served by DAB. Do you have digital over there in Yorkshire?

I can share my little hack for the Pure aerial if it helps.
Cheers.

It wasn't a Pure I tried, can't remember what it was though. I always got a nasty whistle & crackles, like in the good old days when you needed to put a suppressor on the alternator. I'll have a look though the Pure range & ponder things after your reply.

Thanks,

ericnunez (11-30-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 11:05 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by markdpeter
I've tried three different solutions, first in my 2001 XJ8 then later in my Daimler Super V8. I'm in the UK so, besides wanting Bluetooth for streaming and handsfree calling, my priority was to get DAB (Digital Radio). I know you'll have different priorities in the US but I think my experience is still relevant.

First off, I purchased one of the many single DIN adaptor plates available on eBay and other retailers, and installed a single DIN head unit. I used this one after making sure it was shallow enough to fit behind the fascia - there was plenty of space for a unit of this size. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. The quality of the unit and the bluetooth and handsfree options was excellent. I had to buy the appropriate wiring and steering control adaptors but they were an easy fit and enabled the electric aerial and steering wheel controls. There are a couple of options, depending on which head unit you have (amplified or non-amplified if I remember correctly), so make sure you get the right ones.

On the other hand, it looked dreadful so I decided to try other options. I decided to try out a cheap Chinese android unit and ordered a single DIN Joying unit: https://www.joyingauto.eu/joying-new...ar-stereo.html. The advantage of this unit (besides the fact that the 6.2" screen size fitted the available space perfectly) was that it had a detachable screen. This enabled me to put the actual unit itself behind the single DIN adaptor plate and then modify the plate to accommodate the screen which I then fixed to the plate with epoxy. Although the screen is rather out of keeping with the 308 as mentioned by @Stu 1986 , it actually looked better than the single DIN Alpine unit and besides giving me DAB, Bluetooth and HandsFree, it also enabled GPS Navigation and allowed me to have a permanent dashboard connected to a Bluetooth ODBII connector which was quite cool. I believe you can also buy an adaptor for US satellite radio but music apps connected through your phone's hotspot also work really well. I've attached a photo to give an idea of what the installed device looks like.

I then sold the XJ8 to buy @c16rkc 's Daimler SuperV8. I could live with the digital screen in the XJ8 but it would have felt completely out of place in the Daimler. Chris had already installed a Bluetooth connector (you can follow his great instructions at https://youtu.be/-JtaaZJVgho?si=Z75mMT1lTmAB4BCC) but it had three issues for me: first, you have to have a cassette in the drive to enable it and that results in some background noise; second, it is only for streaming so while I could stream Digital radio from my phone, I couldn't use Handsfree. At this point, I decided the best way forward was to install my old Pure 600 Highway. This connects to the radio via a spare FM frequency and gives me DAB, Handsfree and Bluetooth streaming. I know there are similar products available in the US and of all three options, I think this is best. It gives you all the functionality you need while not altering the standard fitment. Sure, there's no GPS but what are phone mounts for? The only issue I found was that finding a spare FM frequency can be tricky and often results in some interference. Fortunately, the Pure product also allows AUX in so I followed @Gopi Hira 's sticky and spliced and AUX port into the CD changer cable and connected through that - FM frequency problems are no longer an issue now.

I hope this helps. I did love the modern feel of the android head unit but then realised that one of the reasons I drive old cars is because modern touchscreens are awful in cars for reasons of usability and safety. I feel I now have the best of all worlds - proper buttons with modern convenience...

One of the nice things about the Joying unit is that you can match the button lighting to the standard Jag lighting colours...

The Pure Controller when I was still connecting through the FM frequency.
Just came here to say this is amazing information. Thank you so much for your long and detailed response!

Old 11-30-2023, 09:23 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wired a $20 Bluetooth dongle to the CD player AI net cable and the quality is great. You don’t get wireless calling and I haven’t found one that will allow me to integrate the steering wheel controls.

I also added an on / Off toggle switch in the trunk, because the Bluetooth dongle will time out sometimes and needs to be turned on/ off.

The following 2 users liked this post by 02VDPMiami:
ericnunez (12-01-2023), nilanium (12-02-2023)