XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Upgrading stereo, what head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 07:40 PM
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Upgrading stereo, what head unit?

Hi, I just purchased a new to me, 2000 XJR. I've already ordered a single din stereo bezel so I can replace the radio with something that has more modern features, like Bluetooth for phone calls, navigation, and playing media.
Unfortunately I just hate almost all aftermarket stereos. Buttons are always too tiny, too many useless features and awful back lit illumination. Seriously, why do all after market radios have to look like a prop from the movie Tron!?!

Has anyone found a good looking single din radio that matches the aesthetics of the interior of our cars? Or at the very least one that doesn't look completely out of place or doesn't call too much attention to itself?

Old 07-06-2016, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

If you want high quality sound, get a Pioneer DEH-80PRS. Seems to be pretty popular with a lot of car audio guys. Can't say from experience but the specs seem to be good quality. The appearance though...

There was some radio manufacturer which made OEM radios for Ferrari and other high end auto companies, whose head unit someone here used, can't remember the company though. Seemed to fit in a bit more with Jag interior styling.

Just scrolling through SonicElectronix, I noticed some of the new Kenwood units look a bit more subdued.
Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X998 Single DIN Bluetooth CD/USB/MP3 Car Stereo With HD Radio, Aux Input and AM/FM Tuner

Naturally, the cleanest looking unit was some $1500 Sony, which was basically a big volume knob, small display, and that was it.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:31 PM

Honestly I don't need a super high end radio, I'm not an audiophile, I just need to be able to hear it. $1500 on a head unit would be wasted on someone like me. I just want something that looks subtle, I don't want to feel like there is a rave going on in my car every time I turn on the stereo.

That Kenwood is not too bad.

I also found this, Eonon M1003 | 1 Din Holder
it has a flip out phone/tablet holder, which might be good for me since I use my phone for media and navigation anyway. I'm wondering if the flip up part might get in the way of the hvac controls.

Speaking of controls I would be great if the phone and stereo controls on the steering wheel could work with the after market head unit.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:42 PM

Sorry new to these forums, I just saw there is and audio/video section, perhaps the mods could move this thread there for me?

Old 07-06-2016, 09:48 PM

Oh, one more question, what wattage are the speakers in these cars? I don't want to get something outputting too high a wattage and blow the speakers, or something too low and end up having to crank the volume.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,794 Likes on 1,316 Posts

I have an older Kenwood Excelon KDC X592, I pulled out of my other vehicle just a couple months ago. If your interested, just pm me....I'll get you pics also.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:35 PM
Veteran Member

If you're powering the door speakers off the head unit outputs, I doubt you'll blow them. There may be a way to use the head unit coax outputs to feed sound to the factory amp, I'd search around on the forums to see if people have done that before.

Haven't heard of Eonon before, the wording and ad style makes it seem like some chinese special electronics. Kind of a roll of the dice on that. Amazon reviews for Eonon seem kind of iffy as well.

The Pioneer is actually pretty close in price, and looks, to that Kenwood.
Pioneer DEH-80PRS Audiophile CD/MP3/USB Car Stereo w/ Bluetooth

The used Excelon may be a good choice as well, the Excelon is Kenwood's higher end line, comes with much higher quality electronics. Have a kdc-x797 I've run for the past few years and been very happy with.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,020 Likes on 741 Posts

Went w/ Kenwood DPX501BT in mine, it's awesome bang for the buck.

There is an adapter that will make the steering wheel controls function w/ after market HU's , cost me $19.99 if I recall accurately.

Last edited by King Charles; 07-07-2016 at 12:41 AM.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by nilanium
If you're powering the door speakers off the head unit outputs, I doubt you'll blow them. There may be a way to use the head unit coax outputs to feed sound to the factory amp, I'd search around on the forums to see if people have done that before..
Being the amp, cd and HU are integrated, I eliminated the whole system and put in my own, but retained the wires going to the speakers. It was much easier from my aspect to go that route. I then replaced the door speakers with Rockford Fosgates, I think King Charles did the same on his door speakers, didn't you KC?

Old 07-07-2016, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Highhorse
I then replaced the door speakers with Rockford Fosgates, I think King Charles did the same on his door speakers, didn't you KC?
Indeed, I went w/ Rockford Fosgate P165 6.5" front & back.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by King Charles
Went w/ Kenwood DPX501BT in mine, it's awesome bang for the buck.

There is an adapter that will make the steering wheel controls function w/ after market HU's , cost me $19.99 if I recall accurately.
Everything I've read so far seemed to suggest it was really difficult to fit a double din stereo into the dash, that's why I went with the single din bezel.

What was this adapter you used?

Old 07-07-2016, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member

They're easily available I don't recall my exact one I do know it was readily available though.

Find what fits your car - Crutchfield

Old 07-07-2016, 05:36 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by nilanium
There was some radio manufacturer which made OEM radios for Ferrari and other high end auto companies, whose head unit someone here used, can't remember the company though. Seemed to fit in a bit more with Jag interior styling.
Ferrari has used Becker, Sony, Alpine, and Bose.

Not sure which you are referring to here, though.

Best,
dsd

Old 07-07-2016, 08:46 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've used the install kits from Crutchfield- along with some of their head units (which can be had for pretty decent prices, I might add)- many of them come with a gadget that allows the use of the steering wheel controls- for the DIY'er- very clear instructions and wiring diagrams and GREAT support staff who actually live int the USA and speak English as their native tongue....

Old 07-07-2016, 10:39 PM

I was thinking this afternoon, that to achieve a look that doesnt look like an aftermarket radio, maybe I should look at stock head units from other OEMs. Ford stuff might even plug and play with these area jags right? I've noticed on of the plug at the back of my radio has a Ford logo on it.
Still very few cars come with single DIN radios these days so finding a single din one with modern features might be tough. Any suggestions?

Old 07-08-2016, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member

Actually some Lincoln parts do cross reference, like the tensioner kit. I went into my local Ford parts shop and asked them about a couple items, ...seeing if Fords was cheaper. They popped right into the computer to check, but what I needed wasn't a match.
Albeit it may say Ford on it, it still may only be a Jag part. Ford redesigned the Jag electronics, so they may have simply used the connector without putting the Jag logo on it.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dsd
Ferrari has used Becker, Sony, Alpine, and Bose.

Not sure which you are referring to here, though.

Best,
dsd

Becker was the one.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:36 PM
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Everything I've read so far seemed to suggest it was really difficult to fit a double din stereo into the dash, that's why I went with the single din bezel.

King Charles I'm guessing he wants to know how you got it to fit in the dash. Did you cut some brackets? I'm also curious. Was the a harness for it to wire into the original stereo?

Old 07-08-2016, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by larney

King Charles I'm guessing he wants to know how you got it to fit in the dash. Did you cut some brackets? I'm also curious. Was the a harness for it to wire into the original stereo?
I had it professionally installed & my bill reflected that it wasn't too difficult of an install lol.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member

You can find single dins with a double din face, its the fascia that's the fun part. Here's a recent link for a post of mine...https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-piece-165345/ ....perhaps you can come up with a customized version for your vehicle?
Don't be afraid to open the stereo bucket, its pretty simple if you just want to get an idea of what's in the way.

Quick Reply: Upgrading stereo, what head unit?