XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Upper 80's at red light, Amber CEL

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 09:08 PM
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Upper 80's at red light, Amber CEL

This is the first warm day we took the VDP out for a ride. We were at a red light and I put the transmission into neutral after engaging the parking brake. Sometime between that event and putting the car into Drive, the car threw an Amber CEL. The AC was running on recycle and once the CEL showed, it immediately shut off the recycle and went to normal AC. No loss of power at all... I couldn't notice any performance hindrance.

I don't have a scan tool, but considering the AutoEnginuity. Would the standard AutoEnginuity be sufficient for this, or would I have to buy the Jaguar add-on as well?

Old 05-14-2012, 04:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

It's pointless to buy AE without the Jag addition. A reasonable scan tool will give you the codes. Any specific warnings on the display, or just the light?

Old 05-14-2012, 06:23 AM

Ok. Would a normal OBDII scanner suffice for this? I don't see the point in buying an OBDII scan tool, then the AE w/ Jag add-on.

Just the amber CEL, no other warnings.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,804 Likes on 2,238 Posts

Just go to a local parts store and see if they can read/reset the code.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 308 Posts

A regular scanner will do, it does for me anyway. The Jag-specific stuff runs into big bucks. You need to be able to read the codes. Unless I am mistaken (which may be the case) a generic scanner will read all the codes, but the Jag-specific ones can only be deciphered by recourse to Jag documentation. BTW, be careful putting the tranny into neutral at a stop light and shifting into drive when it turns green. Repeated thumps will break your A drum and cause headaches.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by JimmyL
A regular scanner will do, it does for me anyway. The Jag-specific stuff runs into big bucks. You need to be able to read the codes. Unless I am mistaken (which may be the case) a generic scanner will read all the codes, but the Jag-specific ones can only be deciphered by recourse to Jag documentation. BTW, be careful putting the tranny into neutral at a stop light and shifting into drive when it turns green. Repeated thumps will break your A drum and cause headaches.
Thanks. I had the parking brake engaged before shifting to neutral and before shifting to drive to mitigate the thump. Perhaps this is not advised?

I have requested info from AE sales.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:40 PM
JWT
Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mechelement
Thanks. I had the parking brake engaged before shifting to neutral and before shifting to drive to mitigate the thump. Perhaps this is not advised?

I have requested info from AE sales.
Mechelement
If you have a PC laptop you might consider trying OBDCOM at a fraction of the cost. The service level is excellent. Mike who runs the company answers emails promptly which seems to be a novel approach. OBDCOM will read the P codes only, but they cover off the vast majority of common issues. This system has a lot of features, useful gauges etc, and has worked very well for me on my XJR, Ford Explorer, Ford Escape, Audi A6 and Honda CRV. AE will allow for scanning B & C codes (I think), but it is pretty pricey. For a first scanner this one is pretty good. Check out the website link below.

OBDCOM Diagnostic Systems for ALL vehicles

Old 05-16-2012, 07:33 AM

The OBDCOM looks interesting and I'm not ruling it out. I like that it's PC based. I'm currently in the mindset of buying one that has the capability of being expanded to read all Jag specific sensors, but after sifting through AE's website, I'm not sure whether or not that's possible with their OBDII Scan Tool. It seems as though you require the ST06 dongle to take advantage of the expansion pack. Is the AE ST06 dongle only available with the Proline purchase for $1,300 or is it the standard dongle that can't utilize all of the additional Jaguar expansion pack?

I've noticed AE's website doesn't list specifically what's included each kit in an itemized fashion. Then, when you read their FAQ page:

Which connector do I need for my vehicle? *
Currently, AutoEnginuity is selling only the ST06 ProLine connector. The ST05 OBDII, and the ST06 ProLine. The basic OBDII functionality, is the same on both connectors, but in Enhanced Mode, they both perform differently. First, the ST06 ProLine works with all enhanced support. The ST05 ODBII connector does not work with them all. If you are planning on adding an enhanced interface to your system, or do not own an AutoEnginuity system yet, and would like to know what you should order, or even if you own a system and do not know which connector to use for a specific manufacturer and would like to have a reference chart, please click on this link to find out more.
Notice the phrase I put into bold and underlined. It's not even a sentence, but seems to contradict the previous sentence. LOL. Does the standard scan tool come with the ST06 dongle or the ST05?

Old 05-16-2012, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by mechelement
I received an email from Bill at AutoEnginuity, spoke with Bill on the phone and then spoke with another tech. Bill was very informative as was the other tech. I cannot remember the other tech's name, but he literally walked me through every option they offer and answered all of my questions.

I read through this entire thread and have seen some claims pertaining to to the AE without any explanation. I asked specific questions to the techs today to further understand... To clarify:

All new AE's come with the ST06 interface. Proline ST06 is now the standard interface. In other words, even if you buy the standard scan tool setup, it still utilizes the ST06 interface, just like the Proline series.

AE now utilizes a dongle for security. They were hacked in China and implemented the dongle to mitigate further hacks.

Jaguar X308's utilize pin #9 as a 12V power source. AE had to make a decision whether to limit their interface's capability and allow the 12V through pin #9 or to provide support for Mercedes. Thus, they chose the latter. Unfortunately, this makes the interface useless for X308's unless the Jaguar enhancement module is used.

The ST06 interface combined with the Jaguar enhancement module will permit monitoring and control of the X308's sensors, computers, etc.

The ST05 interface does not work well with X308's and will have issues. Many people reporting issues with their AE communicating with their X308 have the ST05 interface.

Many people reporting issues with their AE communicating with their X308 and have the ST06, may not have the Jaguar enhancement module and/or are not following the instructions.

You can purchase a bundle Ford package (which includes the ST06 interface, Ford enhancement module and standard scan tool software) and the Jaguar enhancement module for nearly the same price as the regular scan tool plus the Jaguar enhancement module.

If you ever experience an issue with synching your AE program and interface to your car, you can call the AE techs and they will assist you. They will walk you through diagnosis issues, etc. All you have to do is call them.
From: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...*-33347/page5/

The Ford bundle pack + Jag enhancement module is most interesting since we own an F350 PSD.

Last edited by mechelement; 05-16-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:22 PM
JWT
Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts

For what it's worth... $89.00 vs upward to $1300.00 you don't have a lot to lose with OBDCOM. One thing for sure, it connects every time. If you check some old posts you may find at least one member who struggled considerably trying to get AE to connect. I am pretty sure there are some Jag specific codes in the OBDCOM software.

No... I am not on commission with OBDCOM... ha ha!

Old 05-21-2012, 10:04 PM

I finally got a scan tool - AE Ford bundle pack + Jaguar enhancement. I bought it through RiffRaff Diesel Performance and saved $70.00 when compared to AE direct.

I performed a full scan and these were the DTCs:

P0456
P1260
U1135
B1202
U1260

I could only find the P-codes in JTIS.

P0456:
  • Fuel cap seal defective
  • EVAP system leak (canister damage, pipework damage)
  • EVAPP valve to ECM drive circuit: open circuit, short circuit, high resistance
  • EVAPP valve power supply circuit: open circuit
  • EVAPP valve to engine purge pipe damaged / blocked / leaking
  • EVAPP valve operating vacuum hose leak / blockage
  • EVAPP valve failure
  • Fuel tank leak

Before the car threw an amber CEL, my wife refueled the car. I noticed there was a recall for the gas cap. I checked ours and it isn't the click type cap. No gas smell from the car, no leaks from the tank.

P1260:

• KTM to ECM circuit: short circuit, high resistance or open circuit
  • Loss of ignition switched power supply to the ECM PIN EM82-09 for greater than 16 milliseconds
  • KTM failure
  • Security system incorrectly configured (KTM / ECM)

It appears as though I have an issue with the security system. Anyone else throw this code before?

Anyone know what the other codes are?

I was unable to clear U1135. It said I had to cycle the key. That didn't work. All others cleared.

EDIT: The car recently had its fuel pump replaced. Literally a month before I bought it. Not sure if that has anything to do with any of the codes.

Last edited by mechelement; 06-08-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:37 AM
Default Update

After cleaning and lubing the gas cap and filler neck, the car has run great w/o issue and no more CEL. We did drive it while it was in the mid 80s last weekend w/o issue. Evidently the PO never had an issue with the gas cap and didn't bother getting the recommended click type, via service bulletin.

I still have no clue what those other codes refer to.