XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

USB Audio and Charge Jaguar XJR 100

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 05:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default USB Audio and Charge Jaguar XJR 100

Hi all, I know i've brought up a similar topic in the past but I was wondering if anyone has been able to rig a system to charge your iPhone and stream audio via usb without the use of a splitter of any sort??

Old 09-18-2019, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,797 Likes on 1,319 Posts

Since the iphone wasn't released until 2007, any addition of an interface will be a splice of some type. I recall somewhat recently someone had installed a 2.5mm or 3.5mm plug on their unit.

Old 09-18-2019, 10:01 PM

Definitely okay with a splice but I just want to be able to charge and stream my music at the same time

Old 09-19-2019, 05:01 AM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

I can't remember the specifics (I'm sure you can google it) but there's some kind of camera adapter you can get for iphones that will let you have usb charging and another for stereo output?
I think to get anything that's easy to use you'll be looking at replacing the stereo and getting something designed specifically to run with iphone though

Old 09-19-2019, 10:21 AM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts

I always just used a bluetooth FM transmitter that I left plugged in full time in the rear 12v outlet. Phone would pair when I got in the car, I would plug it in to a regular charger (though the transmitter did also have a USB port I could've used). Single plug into the phone for charging, and no modifications needed.

Aside from that though, I've seen companies on ebay and linked in other posts that will add a 3.5mm aux jack to a factory XJ8 stereo (might be year dependent though), which I believe tied into the CD circuit. You'd still have to use the iphone charging/headphone adapter plug though that allows you two connections. And as such would still need two cables - one for the aux jack from that adapter, and one to a charging source. Not sure how involved it would be to try to trace out which circuits on the lightning plug and USB cable would go to which to try to incorporate both into a single plug in the car.

Old 09-27-2019, 03:52 PM

I'm very bad when it comes to wiring and what not. I bought one of the cassette bluetooth receivers and that was horrendous. I'm assuming the best audio quality is going to be through the CD input.

Old 09-27-2019, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 887 Likes on 622 Posts

Buy one of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Cigar-P...EAAOSwdZJcgSY5.

I am using one and the sound is very good. they have two USB ports, connect to your device via Bluetooth and send out the audio as an FM signal to which you can tune your radio.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:00 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I found a AI-net/3.5mm Jack cable that is supposed to work.
Ordered one that will be delivered on monday. Will let you know if it works.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ZCDZ42?pf_rd_p=2d1ab404-3b11-4c97-b3db-48081e145e35&pf_rd_r=PZ9YHX52MFK048H3XK4T https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ZCDZ42?pf_rd_p=2d1ab404-3b11-4c97-b3db-48081e145e35&pf_rd_r=PZ9YHX52MFK048H3XK4T

There also cables advertised to plug in the CD port and convert to USB:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ai+net+usb&i=electronics&ref=nb_sb_noss https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ai+net+usb&i=electronics&ref=nb_sb_noss
Also: not sure if that would actually work. But I think the CD player is powered through the AI net cable. If so, it may be possible to convert to a USB charger.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:35 AM

Just finished replacing the CD charger with the aux input using the 1st cable in the above mentioned post.
Works without any problem. No need for butchering CD changers or creating your own cables as mentioned in other posts.
Just make sure your AI Net cable has a connection going backwards (and not sideways). Mine did and I had to destroy the housing. The AI Net socket in the radio is quite deep and doesnt allow sideway connectors.

My male 3.5 is now coming out under the midconsole on the passengers side. The cable is long enough to connect to my phone when attached to the air vent or simply laying on the passengers seat.
Very ease to guide it through but you have to feed behind the climate control unit (above the radio). The radio housing doesnt have enough space to squeeze a cable through.

It makes me feel more confident that the AI-Net USB cable (2nd link in previous post) should work too.
For the USB adapter maybe plug a simple USB cable in the adapter (or a USB cable that converts to whatever your phone requires) tand guide that through.

Old 09-30-2019, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by jonathanelewis
I'm very bad when it comes to wiring and what not. I bought one of the cassette bluetooth receivers and that was horrendous. I'm assuming the best audio quality is going to be through the CD input.
Wiring is realy very easy:

1. Put gear stick in drive. (turn on the handbrakes).
2. Remove the leather cover surrounding the gear stick. It should come right of.
3. Unbolt the metal housing surrounding the gear stick. There are 4x screws or bolts (in my case 7mm hex)
4. Lift the metal panel over the gear stick. (Gear must be in Neutral or Drive)
5. Lift of the wood inlay starting at the back of the gear stick. It is not bolted or screwed and should come of easily.
6. Remove the screws left and right from the radio unit. Dont drop them! You can leave the top screw above the climate control unit in.
7. Pull out the radio. Car must be in D to pull it out.
8. On the left bottom side of the radio is the AI Net cable from the CD changer. Unplug it.
9. Plug in the AI Net plug from your cable or adapter and test it. If you select CD it should say "No Control" and play music from your attached device.
If not: your AI Net plug may not be fully inserted (Plugs with sideway cables will not go in deep enough. Either open the plug or carefully break it with a plyer (as I did) and tape something around it.)
10. Feed your cable to anywhere you would like it to go.
In my case I pushed it between the radio unit and the leather of the console on the passenger side. It will come out on the passenger side at the bottom.
Easy with a 3.5mm jack and a USB cable. Anything larger may be difficult.
Then I pushed the cable up behind the climate control unit. Otherwise you will not be able to push the radio back in flush.
11. Push radio back in and test again.
12. Reverse steps 6 to 1.
Hope this explains it good enough. If not, let me know.

I found plenty of cables to go into the CD charger socket. Just google (Alpine) AI-Net and whatever you need on the other end.

Last edited by VivaJag; 09-30-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:15 AM
Banned
Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts

Get Bluetooth transmitter easy and cheap and works great.