XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

V8 Emblem

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 01:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default V8 Emblem

On a '99 XJR, does anyone know how the V8 emblems are attached to the B pillar trim? I'd like to remove mine, but don't know if they're attached with adhesive, or if there's some type of fastener beneath.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V8 Badges

Hi there, I recently replaced mine as they were starting to look worn out.

They are attached with an adhesive pad and the badge itself has two plastic clips, be brave (but gentle) just use your finger nail and apply slight downward pressure, you'll find that the badge will un-click, leaving the adhesive pad in place.

Hope this helps

Old 04-15-2009, 03:17 PM

Thank you for the reply. For clarification, once I remove the emblem an adhesive pad will remain on the moulding, right? Any idea if there's a hole in the B pillar trim beneath the adhesive pad? I'd like to leave the emblem off.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:39 AM
Default V8 Badges

Hi there.

It will leave the adhesive EITHER on the badge or on the piller.
The best advice to remove completely is to use a hairdryer or similar to soften the adhesive.

There are two (very small holes) hardly noticable once the badge is removed.

Out of interest, why would you want to remove these badges? it's a V8 - be proud!

Old 04-19-2009, 04:20 AM

Thanks again for your continued help.

Why leave them off? Well, I have a black XJR and I'm going for a clean, sinister look. When I bought it, it had chrome XK8 wheels. I've replaced those with black rims with a polished lip and I've tinted the windows. Now, I'm planning to black out all of the window mouldings like the European models. I'm considering having the B pillar mouldings done in carbon fiber. A set of lowering springs and my highway terror will be nearly complete.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

@ bigcat.

I'm interested to hear how you're going to get the chrome blacked out round the windows ? I'm originally from the UK and I remember when the XJRs came out there originally there were immediately recognisable by the blackened window surrounds. When I came here to the US and started looking for an XJR I was disappointed to see they had chrome.

I know the limited edition XJR 100s have the blackened surrounds and they just look fantastic.

If you get it done, it would be nice to learn how you did it and costs and results, etc.

I think you'd also need to do the chrome fender blades as I think they were blackened on the Euro XJRs too

Old 04-20-2009, 04:02 AM
Default V8 Badges

Certainly sounds like alot of work!

Not sure about the carbon fiber B posts though, perhaps it would be better to prime and paint these posts to match the colour of your Jag? would certainly make for a better overall appearence?

The same goes for the bumper (fender) chrome, How about removing the blades completely and filling and painting these to match?

Personally, I love the chrome on my Jag, but I can see your point on an XJR, it's UK counterpart looks mean and sinister without the chrome.

Are you looking to replace the grills with black mesh also??

Pictures would be good for before and after!

Best of luck!

Old 04-20-2009, 11:57 AM

Looking through Google Images, I can't find an XJR anywhere with the fender blades blackened. I'd be interested to see how they look. I think they'll be fine left chrome, to complement the chrome leaper and polished wheel lips.

As to the carbon fiber B pillar, I think you are right. Looking at the Euro cars, the B pillar is painted semi-fllat black, to blend with the rest of the window surrounds. It presents a more consistent appearance than what I had planned. I think I'll just paint mine as well.

As far as photos go, I'll be happy to post them. I posted a picture of the car in the New Memeber Area (I'll attach one here, as well). I want to wait until all of my little projects are complete before I show it again.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

You're right, I had a look on UK e-bay and the Euro XJRs still have chromed bumper blades, but I think for your sinister look blackening them also would look pretty good

Old 04-20-2009, 03:28 PM

I wonder how the fender blades and leaper would look in black chrome. I probably won't try it, but it might look good.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:02 AM
Default Your wheels

Bigcat,

I want your wheels!

Do you know what they are called? they are awesome!

Old 04-21-2009, 07:26 AM

They're factory wheels off of an XK8. They look good in the photos, but the chrome is peeling. That's why I decided to take them off. Someone on the forum was interested in them. If he doesn't want them, I was thinking that I might strip the chrome and powder coat them back to the original silver.