XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

V8 Growl desperately needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017 | 06:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim
Fit them after the silencers before the rear axle. Will be a pita but that should give you a decent growl without setting car alarms off. If you do it before the middle silencers it'll just be really loud.
OK, noted the advise.
I remember there is indeed not a whole lot of space around the axle, and it might be challenging to find a proper exhaust flow for the hot gases.
Will have to check if those valves are in.

Old 04-17-2017 | 06:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
I think if you fit them after the centre box, but before the middle boxes you'll get a decent sound. Sadly cut outs aren't an option for me as in the UK it's an MOT fail if you have them fitted I've been told
Thanks for the advice as well, maybe this location offers a bit more space for cutout and flow, again will need to see.
Your reactions confirm that moving further back will still work, that was important to know.

And yes, we have the same problem here, cut-outs are forbidden.
The only thing is that no one really cars, and 1/2 year inspection of my car is done without lifting, so as far as you don't give them a reason, they will not check.

With a car so low as mine, and a Jaguar, I do not think they will ever be suspicious.
But it is why I start to like the remote operation thing, no traces like a suspicious switch,as long as I take the remote of the keyring before handling over .

Old 04-18-2017 | 05:50 AM
Veteran Member

You think my exhaust is legal? Hell, it is louder than some Porsche and Ferrari models! And they have special permits.

But the rozzers like it. I get a smile at the loghts from the cops and they want me to rev it a few times. And then they try tomchallenge me wirh their 140 hp 2.0l TDI Passat Variants Of course not in town.

The only time I was pulled over was a few months ago, when a cop saod my tailpipes were sticking out too far... €50 fine. They were out by about 3 mm. Enough for a fine... Otherwise a German saying helps:

Legal? Illegal? Scheiss Egal! (Legal? Illegal? **** it!)

Sorry for the words

Old 04-18-2017 | 06:51 AM
Veteran Member

Tailpipes sticking out too far???....seriously! What the heck do tailpipes sticking out too far have to do with anything? Even with my German heritage, I couldn't live where I'd be micromanaged like that.

Old 04-18-2017 | 07:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Highhorse
Tailpipes sticking out too far???....seriously! What the heck do tailpipes sticking out too far have to do with anything?
You did not know about Daim's latest modification?

The following users liked this post:
Daim (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017 | 09:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Highhorse
Tailpipes sticking out too far???....seriously! What the heck do tailpipes sticking out too far have to do with anything? Even with my German heritage, I couldn't live where I'd be micromanaged like that.
This is a side view of my exhaust tips with my bumper...:

V8 Growl desperately needed-endrohre-von-seite.jpg

They aren't standard... Just before you ask. They are flush with the middle of the bumper. That was the rule I was aware of. But no, the Rozzer was convinced, that it wasn't allowed to "protrude" from the area it is mounted in. ALL my cars have had tailpipes sticking out. ALL of them. Heck, my old Volvo 960 had a sidepipe sticking out about 2.5"... The exhaust was TOTALLY illegal. But the cops didn't give a poop.

They didn't complain about the exhaust sound. Nor how loud it was (totally too loud). The car is also not really "safe" (a few repairs are required sometime). But a €50 fine for some pipes sticking out... Germany... Welcome to Germany. Where there are rules and laws for everything.

Old 04-18-2017 | 09:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ericjansen

Not kidding, Eric, that is something I find gros but also awesome! Would be illegal here BUT I have something in the making (once the tranny is in I'll be investing a little more into the XJ8 as the XJ-S will be sent for some body repairs).

I just need photoshop skills

Old 04-18-2017 | 06:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ericjansen

Hahahaha....that is exactly what I thought of later.

Old 04-19-2017 | 12:20 AM
Veteran Member

Not kidding, Eric, that is something I find gros but also awesome! Would be illegal here BUT I have something in the making
I am keeping my breath Daim, keeping my breath ...

Old 04-19-2017 | 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

... Germany... Welcome to Germany. Where there are rules and laws for everything.
That's why we had the Brexit vote. Another set of 3,000 rules due to come in the next 12 months. Too much, to the point it's strangling economies.

Anyway......lol .......back to exhausts, the cutout issue in the UK had me thinking about high performance cars such as the Aston V8 Vantage (AJ based engine) this had valved exhausts from new - "pull fuse 12 for permanently loud"...so the rule must be factory fitted, not after market. I can understand that as a botch install would undoubtedly lead to fire and death lol which would mean one less paying taxes or fines

Old 04-19-2017 | 01:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean B
That's why we had the Brexit vote. Another set of 3,000 rules due to come in the next 12 months. Too much, to the point it's strangling economies.

Anyway......lol .......back to exhausts, the cutout issue in the UK had me thinking about high performance cars such as the Aston V8 Vantage (AJ based engine) this had valved exhausts from new - "pull fuse 12 for permanently loud"...so the rule must be factory fitted, not after market. I can understand that as a botch install would undoubtedly lead to fire and death lol which would mean one less paying taxes or fines
We are actually allowed to it cout outs here LEGALLY if they only operate from certain speeds onwards and they must be vacuum controlled... BUT I can't as my car is too loud in the first place At least too loud for some