XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

VALET MODE - how to turn it off - 1998 XJ8L

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation VALET MODE - how to turn it off - 1998 XJ8L

We can't get the trunk open. Every time we try to open it, we get a message on the instrument panel - "In Valet Mode". The button on the instrument panel won't open it. The button on the key ring transmitter won't open it. The black head key (the one we always use) in the trunk lock won't open it. We have tried pushing the Valet button on the instrument panel, to try to turn the valet system off, but that doesn't turn it off. We called two local dealers, and their mechanics couldn't understand why the valet mode wouldn't go off when we used the key in the lock. We have had the car for a number of years, and never had this happen before. It is especially problematic because the battery is in the trunk, so we can't disconnect it to turn off the system, and the owner's manual is in the trunk, where Jaguar has made a nice little place to hold it. We don't want to have to use a crowbar to open it, but that seems to be the only way.
This is particularly disgusting, in view of the fact that we have often had a light go on in the instrument panel, advising us that the trunk is ajar. Now when we want it to open, it won't. Can any one help us???

Old 05-18-2011, 09:32 PM
Received 8,106 Likes on 4,891 Posts

You will need to use the Master key in the boot lock or use the keyfob transmitter to unlock the boot. I always tell people to use the key at least once a month or the latch gets sticky. You should spray some penetrating oil into the boot lock and work the key until the boot lid opens!! Is your remote not functioning??????????

bob gauff

Old 05-19-2011, 02:06 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Like Bob said, the remote is the 2nd best option to cancel the Valet Mode, just unlocking with it does the trick. Other than that, you have to get the boot open so the boot lights come on. The boot lights are the signal for the system to cancel Valet, the key in the door or just turning the boot lock won't do it. Also, if the switch in the boot latch has failed so the lights won't come on, the Valet mode won't cancel either.

The only other option is removing the number plate and going thru the lower oblong mounting slots, with a long skinny screwdriver, to trip the latch. Tedious, but it can be done.

Cheers,

The following 2 users liked this post by xjrguy:
catlover1 (05-19-2011), plums (05-19-2011)
Old 05-19-2011, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by xjrguy
Also, if the switch in the boot latch has failed so the lights won't come on, the Valet mode won't cancel either.
A very useful little tidbit.

The following users liked this post:
catlover1 (05-19-2011)
Old 05-19-2011, 10:05 PM
Wink Thank you for your information.

Originally Posted by motorcarman
You will need to use the Master key in the boot lock or use the keyfob transmitter to unlock the boot. I always tell people to use the key at least once a month or the latch gets sticky. You should spray some penetrating oil into the boot lock and work the key until the boot lid opens!! Is your remote not functioning??????????

bob gauff

Old 05-19-2011, 10:15 PM

Thank you for this information. I will have to try to remove the number plate. I am assuming that the number plate you are talking about is the plate that says SJ8 around the trunk lock. If I am wrong, please correct me. I am wondering how I am going to get that plate off without messing up the trunk lid. Any way, thanks for the information, I really do appreciate it.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:20 PM

Thank you for this information. It seems as though the problem is not with the lock, itself, but it is with the electrical system that controls the lock. I hope that I will be able to get the lock to open so that I can, hopefully, correct the electrical problem Thanks, again..

Old 05-19-2011, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by catlover1
I am assuming that the number plate you are talking about is the plate that says SJ8 around the trunk lock. If I am wrong, please correct me.
subject to correction, xjrguy is probably referring to the license plate. and, "and going thru the lower oblong mounting slots" means either of the lower license plate screw holes. It would be helpful if you refer to a similar model first to visualise where you are going to be poking blind. if there are plastic nut inserts in those holes, you will need to remove them. a wire coat hanger is sometimes better for this type of work. and use masking tape around the holes so that you can apply force without worrying about losing paint.

if the black headed key has ever worked before to open the trunk, try lubing both key and keyhole. Run the key back and forth to distribute the lube. That ought to free up the lock cylinder sufficiently to turn. It may take several tries.

Last edited by plums; 05-19-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by plumsauce
subject to correction, xjrguy is probably referring to the license plate. and, "and going thru the lower oblong mounting slots" means either of the lower license plate screw holes. It would be helpful if you refer to a similar model first to visualise where you are going to be poking blind. if there are plastic nut inserts in those holes, you will need to remove them. a wire coat hanger is sometimes better for this type of work. and use masking tape around the holes so that you can apply force without worrying about losing paint.

if the black headed key has ever worked before to open the trunk, try lubing both key and keyhole. Run the key back and forth to distribute the lube. That ought to free up the lock cylinder sufficiently to turn. It may take several tries.
Sorry, after all these years dealing with "English Speak", sometimes I forget to clarify. Plumbsauce is right on the money. I should have added the bit about removing the screw inserts for access to the workings of the latch.

***Edit: I guess I could add that the link that needs to be tripped on the boot latch has to be PUSHED from the left, or PULLED from the right. That probably helps.

I don't see that you have an electrical problem, the Valet system is doing exactly what it's supposed to; you have a problem of not being able to cancel it at the moment.

Cheers,

Last edited by xjrguy; 05-20-2011 at 07:09 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by xjrguy:
catlover1 (05-20-2011), vlads_xjr01 (09-24-2013)
Old 05-20-2011, 06:58 PM
Default Thank you guys for the information - more help available?

Thank you for the information you gave me. I really do appreciate it. We were finally able to get the trunk open, using a wire hanger through the oval screw holes at the bottom of the license plate frame. Once we got it open, we were able to remove the stuff we had in the trunk. Then, with the trunk lid still open, we tried out the latch and the key ring openers, and the opener on the instrument panel. All worked fine. We closed the latch without closing the trunk, and we were able to get it open - it worked just like it was supposed to. Then we finally closed the trunk, and the latch would not open. This time there is nothing on the instrument panel to tell us it is in "Valet Mode", but there was no way that it was going to open. We took the wire hanger and opened it again, and then we took the liner off the inside of the trunk lid, to check the wires, and anything else that we could see that might be causing us problems. We couldn't see any problems. Once again, with the trunk lid still standing open, we tested the latch and the buttons that were supposed to open it, and everything worked fine. Then we had to close the lid to go to work. Once again, there was no way to get it open.
Any ideas as to what could be wrong with it??? Your help again, would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by catlover1
Thank you for the information you gave me. I really do appreciate it. We were finally able to get the trunk open, using a wire hanger through the oval screw holes at the bottom of the license plate frame. Once we got it open, we were able to remove the stuff we had in the trunk. Then, with the trunk lid still open, we tried out the latch and the key ring openers, and the opener on the instrument panel. All worked fine. We closed the latch without closing the trunk, and we were able to get it open - it worked just like it was supposed to. Then we finally closed the trunk, and the latch would not open. This time there is nothing on the instrument panel to tell us it is in "Valet Mode", but there was no way that it was going to open. We took the wire hanger and opened it again, and then we took the liner off the inside of the trunk lid, to check the wires, and anything else that we could see that might be causing us problems. We couldn't see any problems. Once again, with the trunk lid still standing open, we tested the latch and the buttons that were supposed to open it, and everything worked fine. Then we had to close the lid to go to work. Once again, there was no way to get it open.
Any ideas as to what could be wrong with it??? Your help again, would be greatly appreciated.
Yep! Wires broken right in front of the RH deck lid hinge. Pull the trim loose and remove the cover. Open the gooey harness and repair the broken wires.

Cheers,

Last edited by xjrguy; 05-20-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member

Once you have the trunk open again ... which you should be really good at now , you still need to attend to the lock cylinder and key as the backup opening mechanism.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the valet button pushed accidentally as well...folks wondering what does what.... and thought the black key would not open the trunk. However, I tried a second time, and pushed beyond the 'stop' which is about 1/8 of a turn of the key toward the left....and pushed on...it feels like turning through heavy grease or as if the thing were glued...but it did turn, and then released the trunk as it should. It also turned off valet mode.
Honestly, I thought maybe I was going to break the key in the lock, but once the thing began to turn, it turned quite easily.
Glad I did not have to go to Jag for this fix.
I tried the 'look through the oblong holes with a flashlight' but never found any tab to push. Maybe this will work for you as well.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 411 Likes on 306 Posts

I had a very similar problem when I first got my Jag. I only got a valet key and no fob when I got it and it was in valet mode. After I got the boot open I checked the wires going through the right boot hinge and sure enough, they had been "fixed" before but the fix came loose again. I believe it was the boot light wire that had broken. Anyway, after re-doing the wires in there all has been well. It is kind of a pain unwrapping the wires, but it seems to be very common. Funny, I just found the original key fob under the driver's seat while vacuuming. So now I'm flush with keys and fobs.