XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

valve cover gaskets...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 06:31 AM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Default valve cover gaskets...

Hello, Finally getting around to changing the leaky valve cover gaskets on my 99 XJR. I was surprised by how tight access was to remove the covers. Of course when you're removing them you don't really have to worry about what's happening with the gaskets themselves but while the JB Weld repairs to the brass inserts in the covers and the RTV splice on my airbox mount are curing I can't help but think of the pain I'm in for trying to work the covers back into position with the gaskets on them. What do people use to tack the gaskets to the covers? I have tried Permatex HiTack (yellow glop) when I did this job on the V8 in my beemer and was not impressed. It seemed to give a marginal hold that let lose as soon as anything even brushed against the gasket. Every time that happened it was remove, attempt to clean the yellow glop, reapply, and try again. I'm wondering if there's a better solution.
On a related topic I know I've seen something about it here and will do the search to check but the breather in the driver's side cover seems to be plugged (or it has a pretty small hole) The tube coming out of the cover is pretty big so I was thinking I should be able to pass something larger than the drywall screw I probed it with while I was repairing the inserts. Is there a certain sized drill that should pass thru this fitting?
Thanks.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 614 Posts

As I recall, the screws that hold down the valve covers retain the gaskets in place by means of their "collars", there is no need to use addition methods to hold the gasket in place.

The following users liked this post:
dwgates (07-23-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,135 Likes on 867 Posts

Make absolutely sure that you buy all new 28 bolt seal washers or it will continue to leak oil. At least use some kind of silicone sealer where the top of the timing cover meets the top of the cylinder head.

The following users liked this post:
dwgates (07-23-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 09:00 AM

Thanks for the replies. I do have the bolt o-rings and was ready with RTV for the timing cover to head joints. I noticed the bolts do retain the gaskets but was concerned when I thought of the reassembly portion of the job because the bolts hang so I was picturing it being a challenge to not stub something when I get to that step. Especially since it seems the drivers side needed to be almost vertical to get past the obstructions to that cover. I haven't checked to see if the new gaskets actually grip the groove in the cover but the spark plug gaskets seem like they could easily shift position. Maybe if I don't collect any specific recommendations I'll just add a little RTV to tack them in place. I'm sure at the very least I'll be thanking those Jaguar engineers for leaving the FI wiring harness tabs in a spot where they can interfere with this job. Hopefully that's the worst of my problems (fingers crossed while furiously rubbing a rabbit's foot).

Old 07-25-2018, 06:27 AM
Default back together (almost)...

Well Carnival Kid was correct the bolts do hold the valve cover gaskets to the covers pretty well. I'll admit the figure eight spark plug gaskets had me worried but you get good visual feedback that they're in place. Having a plastic cover allows for good control of the fitting & holding features in the gasket channel but they really only stay in place because of the bolts. As I was working thru this job I kept thinking of what an engineer I worked with at my last job used to say, "there are two kinds of plastic, cracked and about to crack". I repaired a couple of loose pieces on the coil covers and JB welded a few of the brass inserts that hold the coil covers into the valve covers but was amazed how many other cracks showed up as I continued cleaning everything. Nothing seemed to go all the way thru but I supposed it's only a matter of time. Maybe the next gasket change will have to be done on new parts.
It's too bad really how many times a choice of a cheap material lets these beautiful cars down. 1000 years for now some archaeologist will dig up an XK120 and there won't be a crack in either cam cover, that's a good material choice!