XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

valve cover gaskets fail

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question valve cover gaskets fail

Hi Guys, I drive a 2002 VDP Black with Ivory, 107k.I replaced my valve cover gaskets last week. The drivers side was definitely leaking but the passenger (right) side was still holding. But wanting to be meticulous I replaced both sides like a real mechanic would do.Ha.Apologies to real mechanics. Now I have oil leaking from the passengers side but the drivers side looks good. No leaks. I loosened the valve cover bolts on the right side cover thinking maybe I didnt torque them down, although I used a Torque wrench and tightened to 11n, in the proper sequence. I was hoping to find the back bolt loose but all seemed tight. I resequenced tightening the bolts but it did not fix the drip. Can anyone offer an explanation or take a guess? I am thinking once tightened the gasket seated in whatever out of position it was in and now I have a crimp in the gasket where oil is escaping?? All else seems fine. The car runs like a dream. Do I need to do the right side again? If it is a small drip is it safe for a road trip? Going to drive to the gulf and jump in the water this weekend. Thanks.Rowkid

Attached Thumbnails valve cover gaskets fail-unadjustednonraw_mini_549.jpg  
Old 05-07-2020, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,808 Likes on 2,241 Posts

You may have a crack in the cover. The plastic becomes brittle with age and heat. It's best to take the cover off and inspect. The gasket will not be harmed by removal and replacement. I hope you replaced all the screw seals.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 10:17 PM
Thumbs up valve cover gasket fail

Thanks RJ, I will check the cover. Thanks

Old 05-08-2020, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,098 Likes on 844 Posts

When you replaced the gaskets, did you get new bolt seal washers for all 28 bolts? Those are the key that apply more downward pressure on the covers which transfers it to the gasket. If you didn’t replace the bolt seal washers, you can replace them one by one starting with the outer parimeter bolts first without pulling the covers back off.

Old 05-08-2020, 11:46 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Apply red rtv silicone on both valve cover gasket, that will stop oil leak.

Old 05-08-2020, 09:57 PM
Default Still have a small leak

Thanks guys. It’s very helpful to get your opinions on my situation. I took the valve cover off and inspected it with a magnifying glass and did not see any cracks. There was a scorch mark on the very back outside but it seemed superficial and nothing that oil could seep through. I also replaced all 28 washers when I did the valve cover gaskets. I put it back together and went through the tightening sequence 3x. Then I took it for a ride. It is still leaking on the passenger side dripping on to the manifold. On right turns and when I park it in my garage I smell oil burning. It must be a crack. Everything else seems fine. The gasket is seated and in tact. I’m driving tomorrow about 500 miles. I’m assuming this small leak won’t be a problem but if you guys know it will be, please advise. Thanks again R

Old 05-08-2020, 11:30 PM
Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts

People are driving thousands of miles with leaking valve cover gaskets and smelling burnt oil without any issues. But I can not assure this in youre case. This rubber type gasket falls of the cam cover groove very easily everytime you dont except it. If it does and you dont see it and bolt cover it will crush the rubber and so on. Did you put small bead of gasket sealer to tight halfmoon turns? Plastic camcovers can also twist so that you never can get them dry. (Been there done that several times.) And too much force to gasket groove can stretch inner wall inwards and there is leak again.