XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

valve cover gaskets leaking so soon?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 698 Posts
Default valve cover gaskets leaking so soon?

I replaced the valve cover gaskets two and half years ago when I bought the car and did the tensioners. Over the last summer, they started to drip first from the passenger side rear, now the driver side rear. Checked and yes the bolts are tight. I'm figuring I need to order new gaskets and do them over again but before I do, a few questions. Do the valve covers themselves typically develop cracks or warpage? Anything else to look for? Just can't believe the gaskets themselves went bad so soon, since the original gaskets were not leaking after 12 years.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 420 Likes on 320 Posts

When you changed them, did you replace the grommets on the bolts?

Old 12-24-2014, 04:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mark SF
When you changed them, did you replace the grommets on the bolts?
Yes, that came with the kit.

Old 12-24-2014, 01:00 PM
Received 321 Likes on 218 Posts

Did you use OEM Jaguar gaskets? Never use anything else than orginal valve cover gaskets.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:11 PM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by XJR-99
Did you use OEM Jaguar gaskets? Never use anything else than orginal valve cover gaskets.
....And this comment would be based on which facts?
Since the Lincoln LS use the same engine, beside Ford, a couple of after-market brands offer this gasket, one of which ( FelPro) has a stellar reputation.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,806 Likes on 2,239 Posts

Yes, I've used FelPro several times with no problem.

Old 12-24-2014, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member

I'm not sure the brand of the gaskets. It came as part of the upper tensioner kit from Christopher's. I don't remember if there was anything identifying the brand of the gaskets in that kit.

Old 12-26-2014, 05:34 AM
Received 321 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by luc
....And this comment would be based on which facts?
Since the Lincoln LS use the same engine, beside Ford, a couple of after-market brands offer this gasket, one of which ( FelPro) has a stellar reputation.
There are too many weak aftermarket gaskets available in the market. They just start to leak.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member

I changed the valve cover gaskets today using the Felpro VS 50724 R indicated for the Lincoln. I did not see any sort of failure of the perimeter gasket, but what I did notice was that the grommets for each of the bolts which came with the Felpro set were noticeably thicker and more firm than the grommets that came with the set from Christoper's. Its those grommets that provide the tension to seat the valve cover and I guess the squishier, thinner ones from Christopher's just didn't provide enough tension after a couple of years. At least this was one of the easiest repairs I've ever had to do to the Jaguar.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:26 PM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Gaskets from Christophers

I replaced my secondary tensioners with a kit from Christophers 2 months ago, so now I guess the clock is ticking on the bolt gaskets?
It would be interesting to hear from a representative from Christophers, since I went to them based on recommendations from forum members.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member

Just leave it and wait and see. Its entirely possible that the set you got from Christopher's recently is different and better than the one I got nearly three years ago. Plus, I don't know how the Felpro or Christopher's compares to what you might get from the Jaguar dealer or how long the Felpro gasket is going to last. Honestly, I think the Christopher's perimeter gasket seemed like it was probably better than the Felpro, only the grommets might have been wrong.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 145 Posts

My mechanic specializes in British cars and Jaguars. He told me the valve covers themselves are poor quality and, if still original, must be replaced with new ones after removing them. He said if not, he 100% guarantees they will start leaking because of their age. Has anyone else had to replace their valve covers to fix the oil leak long-term?

Old 01-19-2015, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 871 Likes on 718 Posts

"My mechanic specializes in British cars and Jaguars. He told me the valve covers themselves are poor quality and, if still original, must be replaced with new ones after removing them. He said if not, he 100% guarantees they will start leaking because of their age."

I don't believe that. Mine were not leaking when I upgraded the tensioners in March 2013 and so I used them again; still don't leak. The covers break when someone over torques them;The gasket leak when people are not careful in reinstalling them.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts
Default Gasket question

I replaced the valve cover gaskets a couple of weeks ago when I updated the tensioners. I used the Felpro kit, everything fit perfectly. The passenger side leaked a bit at the rear but after another 1/8 of a turn on the lower bolt it stopped and has not restarted. The driver side did not leak at all....here's the problem/question.

I removed the drivers side again a couple of days later for another reason and since the gasket was literally only days old, I reused it. Now, after three more attempts and cleaning and re-seating it still leaks a little.

On the last (third) attempt I used a little black rtv in the gasket ridge and on the engine surface where it was leaking. The leak is so small now that it's imperceptible while the engine is running and only results in a small amount of smoke and smell about 15 seconds after the engine has been shut off, which goes away quickly. But I still don't like ANY leak.

Any advice?

Old 04-19-2015, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 871 Likes on 718 Posts

Here's a thought: buy some plumbers silicon at your Home Depot, clean the gasket and coat it with the silicon ('just a dab will do ya') on both side, install carefully and torque gently so as not to distort the cover. Oh, and make sure the mating surfaces are clean . . .

Last edited by Jhartz; 04-19-2015 at 12:40 PM. Reason: fat fingers
Old 04-19-2015, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts
Default Jaguar or Ford

Does anyone know, just out of curiosity, was the valve cover setup on this engine designed by Jaguar or by Ford? I have changed my share of valve cover gaskets; this difficulty is unique.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:46 PM
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

FYI, I've had to buy two new valve covers because of warping. OEM only at about $400 a pop. But unless you like oil leaking from your engine you do it

Old 04-19-2015, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

??

Reused the original gaskets and seals four years ago.

No leaks.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
??

Reused the original gaskets and seals four years ago.

No leaks.
Are you peoples with leaking cam cover gaskets torqueing them down to the correct torque ???

Or are you going the that is tight, a bit more will be better route ???

Old 04-21-2015, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by andrew lowe
Are you peoples with leaking cam cover gaskets torqueing them down to the correct torque ???

Or are you going the that is tight, a bit more will be better route ???
I happen to have several torque wrenches of various ranges and use them, but looking at the design of these valve cover fasteners it would be hard to cause damage the way it would on a more conventional design. When you torque these fasteners down, you're putting pressure on the individual hat-shaped fastener. The valve cover itself is being held down only by the tension supplied by the squishing of the rubber grommet. To damage the valve cover, you'd have to torque it so hard as to crush the metal hat and that would be a LOT of torque. By the same logic, if its already leaking, tightening them more wouldn't likely stop the leak either since that hat is going to prevent the bolt from pushing down any farther. They probably designed it that way to prevent ham-fisted mechanics from losing money having to replace valve covers.

Quick Reply: valve cover gaskets leaking so soon?