XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Vanden Plas hub cap compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 11:43 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Vanden Plas hub cap compatibility

hi, quick question. Will VDP hub caps from a 91 model year fit a 98? I know that the earlier vdp caps came with a bolt but can they be made to fit a later model? My 98 caps keep falling off, expensive to replace. I might just swap the wheels out for a base xj8. Cheers!

Old 12-01-2016, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,354 Likes on 928 Posts

I don't think so, as the 98 VDP caps are held on the rim by plastic tabs and a steel retaining spring.
I guess the plastic gets old from heat cycles and age, and some rough treatment in a tire center does the rest.

They still can be bought new ($$$), and they do come up on ebay and this forum from time to time.

I just bought two (one replacement and one spare) from a member here for my original VDP wheels kept in storage, just be sure all tabs are tight and undamaged, and they will do for an extra while.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah I thought it was a bit of a long shot. I've already had to buy two at $120 including shipping a piece. I keep my eye out for people parting out VDP's. if I have to replace one more I'm just going to put on a set of base xj8 wheels and be done with it. Cheers, Mate

Old 12-03-2016, 03:23 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I lost one of my center caps also and the replacement cast is stupid, I have a XL8 I think I will just swap wheels.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:19 PM
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Welsh?

Jaguar parts retailer & salvager Welsh Industries has several types of XJ Jag hubcaps listed, one of which may match yours.

The ones identified on-line as 2004-2008 XJ look just like my '99 VDP's, $90.00 per. Welsh also has huge pile of stuff not illustrated, but will attempt to match with a phone call.

Absolutely no connection with this vendor, other than as a satisfied
customer. And a very impressed tourist; I encourage any Jag fan to tour their facility if you get the chance.

Several strategically placed pieces of automotive A/C black insulating tape on back of hubcap will retain the hubcap, but allow later removal. Impervious to road environment.