XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Vanden Plas Hydraulic Lower Ball Joints?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vanden Plas Hydraulic Lower Ball Joints?

Hi Guys,

Going to be installing new Lower Ball Joints on my 1998 Jaguar Vanden Plas. When I opened the box, to my surprise, it seems they are HYDRAULIC ACTUATED and fill up with what I am assuming is power steering fluid. How is this possible?

Also, how do I connect the fittings to make sure they don't leak?

Old 05-15-2015, 01:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 255 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by blackenedindustries
Hi Guys,

Going to be installing new Lower Ball Joints on my 1998 Jaguar Vanden Plas. When I opened the box, to my surprise, it seems they are HYDRAULIC ACTUATED and fill up with what I am assuming is power steering fluid. How is this possible?

Also, how do I connect the fittings to make sure they don't leak?

They look like a standard ball joint to me that have been fitted with grease nipples.
You sure you have the correct ball joints for a '98??
These were not normally fitted with such fittings....unless these are an update.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. So do I just fill those up with grease? I bought them from Welsh Enterprises. They said these are for the 1998 Jaguar Vanden Plas.

Welsh Enterprises - New Jaguar Parts, Used Jaguar Parts and Accessories - XK120 - XK140 - XK150 - E-Type - MK - XJ6 - XJ8 - XJ - XK8 - XK - XJS - S-Type - X-Type - XF

Any ideas on the install? I have never done it myself before, but I hope to.

Best,

Julian

Old 05-15-2015, 07:27 AM
Received 164 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by xjay8
They look like a standard ball joint to me that have been fitted with grease nipples.
You sure you have the correct ball joints for a '98??
These were not normally fitted with such fittings....unless these are an update.
That's sweet. Failure of joints like this is usually due to loss of lubrication; just like the 'sealed for life' trannies...being able to refresh the lube in the joint once or twice a year with a shot from the grease gun isn't the worst thing.

I think it's a great idea.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bdboyle
That's sweet. Failure of joints like this is usually due to loss of lubrication; just like the 'sealed for life' trannies...being able to refresh the lube in the joint once or twice a year with a shot from the grease gun isn't the worst thing.

I think it's a great idea.
Bit like the good ol' daze when most things were 'serviceable' ;o))
Hell, I remember when the average car had about 26 grease points!

Old 05-15-2015, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by blackenedindustries
Thanks for the reply. So do I just fill those up with grease? I bought them from Welsh Enterprises. They said these are for the 1998 Jaguar Vanden Plas.

Welsh Enterprises - New Jaguar Parts, Used Jaguar Parts and Accessories - XK120 - XK140 - XK150 - E-Type - MK - XJ6 - XJ8 - XJ - XK8 - XK - XJS - S-Type - X-Type - XF

Any ideas on the install? I have never done it myself before, but I hope to.

Best,

Julian
That's good if they are an update....one company using a bit of common sense ;O)
Perfectly doable at home with the right tools....plenty written up in the archives.
I haven't had to do it yet myself....so, can't really offer any useful advice.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:09 AM
Received 164 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by xjay8
Bit like the good ol' daze when most things were 'serviceable' ;o))
Hell, I remember when the average car had about 26 grease points!
Absolutely...serviceable is a good thing; sad thing is the solution too many times is to make it unserviceable (because most people just toss and replace rather than take care of things to begin with) and call it 'lifetime' (now, whether they're specifying MY lifetime or the part's lifetime is open to discussion). My other hobby vehicle is 44 years old, and even more fragile than the Jag...but I'm not afraid to drive it to work this morning.

To whit: they aren't even putting spare tires (not even the high pressure donuts) in some cars today; just a can of fix-a-flat and call it good. Why? Someone did a study and found that the normal mouth-breathing driver has NO idea how to change a flat, let alone realize they have a flat while they're driving. So, put a can of goop under pressure in the trunk, and folks feel safe.

My stepoffspring knew, by the time they went for their road test back in the 90s, how to change a tire, how to jack a car safely with the provided jack, how to check the oil, power steering fluid, transmission fluid, how to drive a clutch, handle a skid (and do handbrake turns...), check tire pressure, tire wear, and even change sparkplugs. Both the stepson and stepdaughter. No excuses for turning out drivers on the road that have NO understanding of that 2 ton missile they're piloting.

</rant>

Old 05-15-2015, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 308 Posts

Greaseable ball joints used to be normal. Just make sure you don't pop the rubber bladder thingees when greasing them. I worked as a grease monkey in my early days and that was a pretty common occurrence. I would install them and then pump a little grease in them.