XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

VDP oil usage problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015 | 09:11 PM
|
Default VDP oil usage problem?

Hello all, this could be an issue with ANY older vehicle, however, I have noticed that I am using oil at a rate I believe is unacceptable. I have driven the car roughly about 3k miles, when I got it, it had a fresh oil change with full synthetic 5w-30. I am not sure how full it was filled, but it was at the "MIN" line, so I filled it up to about 3/4 to the "MAX" line. I decided to check it the other day to see what it looked like, and I was at the "MIN" line again. The car isn't leaking oil, however, I did notice when rev-ing the engine (yes, I know it is terrible to rev the engine up when not moving) I noticed a cloud of smoke from the exhaust, it was burning oil. I also have reason to believe it burns oil when I turn on the Sport mode. If I run the car on the interstate at 75-80 MPH and get back into town I smell something burning, like either rubber or oil. It could be the serpentine belt (I observed the other day that it is a bit worn, so that will be replaced ASAP). Would there be any reason to why it is burning oil with sport mode on, whilst reving the engine, or just general driving?

Could this potentially be because of the NIKASIL liner (not sure if it has them or not?)

Any help would be really helpful.

Old 05-21-2015 | 08:19 AM
Veteran Member

Sounds like you are burning oil; but double check for a leak in that you are smelling burning oil.

blue smoke when accelerating (low manifold pressure) is typically rings; blue smoke when decelerating, is typically valve guides.

Old 05-21-2015 | 08:29 AM
|

When accelerating or decelerating I don't notice it (kinda hard to if it is just a little when you're driving). But if it is the rings, short of replacing the engine is there anyway to fix this?

I imagine I can confirm or deny this via a pressure test?

Old 05-21-2015 | 02:04 PM
Veteran Member

The valve covers love to leak on these engines, and if you're smelling oil after coming to a stop, they are a likely culprit. It's easy to check : with the engine well warmed up and still running, open the hood and you'll see smoke where the oil is dripping onto the exhaust from the valve covers.

As for the rings / bores, a compression check would be a good idea, and a leakdown test would be even better.

Another very common source of high oil consumption is a blocked breather.

Don't assume anything, verify.

Finally, it sounds like you used about a quart in 3K miles, which is not actually particularly bad. I would check the above, and then consider simply pouring oil into it, as needed. Going to an oil that is thicker when hot, say 5w40, will help reduce the consumption.

Last edited by Mark SF; 05-21-2015 at 02:06 PM.