XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Very happy with Quaife LSD + extra power

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 11:04 AM
Received 320 Likes on 218 Posts
Default Very happy with Quaife LSD + extra power

I got my car from the garage today and trip back to home with new Quaife LSD, sports exhaust system ( 200cell cats + catbacks ) and bigger lower pulley. LSD is the part XJR really needs. I was able to drive without traction control in very bad winter conditions. Also I like the sound of exhaust system against the orginal one More performance upgrades coming before the summer... Let's see then how's 1/4mile ET and 1mile top speed. In this car 155mph speed limiter has been removed.

The only problem I have now is that central locking does not work when try to open or close the doors from the remote control. The problem has been there since I bought the car. The garage tried to resolve the problem by programming the new remote control unit, but no help. They told that the problem seems to be at car side. They asked me if I can find a new central locking unit to the car.... Anybody has more information about my problem...? Thanks.

Cheers

Sam

The following users liked this post:
WaterDragon (08-28-2013)
Old 01-11-2012, 12:03 PM
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

do you need to reprogram the TCM when you put in the new Limited slip diff...

as far as your key fobs not locking or unlocking...do they perform any of their other functions, like lights on or trunk open?

Old 01-11-2012, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by pdog2000
do you need to reprogram the TCM when you put in the new Limited slip diff...

as far as your key fobs not locking or unlocking...do they perform any of their other functions, like lights on or trunk open?
We have not seen needs for TCM reprogramming. LSD works well also when traction control is on. It limits flashing of TC and makes driving much more stable ( this is my first notice after 50miles in snow).

With my old remote controller, I was able to open the trunk and also no problems with lights. Just the doors did not open. Now, I think, the trunk does not open when they changed the remote controller. When I put key into the lock, I am able to open all the doors without any problems.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts

Sorry but what is LSD?

Old 01-11-2012, 01:22 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vincent661983
Sorry but what is LSD?
Limited Slip Differential. The XJR's come with open diff's only spinning one wheel.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:27 PM

XJR 99 are you planning to put that beast on the dyno? I'd love to see the power. Did you swap the upper pulley as well? How much boost is it running now? i Would reccomend installing a snow water/meth kit. Its a great addition. we are working on headers for my car so that could be a good add on too. Nice job with the mods!

Old 01-11-2012, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Thundercat
XJR 99 are you planning to put that beast on the dyno? I'd love to see the power. Did you swap the upper pulley as well? How much boost is it running now? i Would reccomend installing a snow water/meth kit. Its a great addition. we are working on headers for my car so that could be a good add on too. Nice job with the mods!
Yes, I will go to dyno soon. Max boost should be something like 14-15PSI at the moment. Upper pulley is standard, also Eaton has no modifications. Let's see if twin screw is the answer...if not this winter, I change upper pulley also. Intercooler radiator and ECU upgrade will come in any cases. Thundercat: I have read about your car quite a much. How is your current power output? I checked headers of Paramount. Basically I do not like very much loud cars when we are talking about Jaguars....I like gentle ride and real sleepers...

Last edited by XJR-99; 01-12-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:07 PM

Some pictures taken at the garage:

Attached Thumbnails Very happy with Quaife LSD + extra power-dsc_0568.jpg   Very happy with Quaife LSD + extra power-dsc_0565.jpg   Very happy with Quaife LSD + extra power-dsc_0567.jpg   Very happy with Quaife LSD + extra power-dsc_0566.jpg   Very happy with Quaife LSD + extra power-dsc_0564.jpg  

User 070620 (11-05-2015)
Old 01-11-2012, 04:36 PM

Looks nice. My car is a sponsor car for Buckhead imports and we are making our own set of headers. I'll let you know volume level when its done. My car won't have cats though. With my previous mods it dyno'd 379rwhp on a dyno jet. Ported supercharger is a good idea, i ran one of those for a little bit. I hesitate to speculate on a finish date for my car as ALL of the parts are custom and it's become a MONSTER of a build. we just got finished with pistons, sleeves, connecting rods and also drilled out the head bolts to accept a larger stud. I had a killer copper core head gasket made too. Compresion was also lowered half a degree as the supercharger that we are fitting to it is a big one so we can run plenty of boost. I looked into quafe but I ended up changing the gear ratio to 3.55 and adding Mercedes benz SLR Blue shift solenoids (you can do the solenoids on your car fairly easily and inexpensively) i hear they make a big difference. What are you doing for your intake? Factory airbox? I was running 18-19psi (almost too much in my opinion) when i had both upper and lower pulleys. I hear there is an ex. ford guy that is able to tune ECU's i'm sure he's still working on tunes and I'm excited that he can do it so we have options outside of Eurotek.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:37 PM

p.s. what kind of exhaust system is that. That resonator is MASSIVE!!

Old 01-11-2012, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

What brand are those catalytic converters and what pipe size are you using?

Old 01-11-2012, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by plums
What brand are those catalytic converters and what pipe size are you using?
They come from eajp.com .

Old 01-11-2012, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Thundercat
p.s. what kind of exhaust system is that. That resonator is MASSIVE!!
The resonator looks much bigger(longer) in this picture than it really is. Should take another pic.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the Quaife LSD fit non-XJR 99 model year Jag? I have a n/a '99 XJ8. The problem is wheel spin in the wet and especially in snow ... the traction control works overtime. I can't imagine how 'challenging' it must be with an open dif. with a supercharger in the rain and snow!

Old 01-12-2012, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by KalboJosh
Does the Quaife LSD fit non-XJR 99 model year Jag? I have a n/a '99 XJ8. The problem is wheel spin in the wet and especially in snow ... the traction control works overtime. I can't imagine how 'challenging' it must be with an open dif. with a supercharger in the rain and snow!
I think QDF5W fits to n/a XJ8 but better to ask from here:
Racing Green Jaguar. - XJ V8 1997-2003, Differential, Limited Slip

Regards,

Sam

KalboJosh (01-14-2012)
Old 01-14-2012, 07:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ XJR-99 (Sam)

Thanks for the link! I am looking for any and all links to performance and OEM style replacements for the XJ8 ... this looks like an interesting company. Some of the pricing is a bit high, but the LSD is reasonably priced.

Thanks again!

Josh

Old 09-24-2013, 06:33 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Problem with qdf5w install

Did the shop who installed your Quaife QDF5W have any trouble installing the differential?

Old 09-25-2013, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,356 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Viapa, what seems to be their trouble? Also, any news on the thundercat car? I ask because I'd like to buy parts

Old 09-26-2013, 10:06 AM
Angry

Originally Posted by Sean B
Viapa, what seems to be their trouble? Also, any news on the thundercat car? I ask because I'd like to buy parts
I have Buckhead Imports working on it. From what I'm understanding they state the stub axles are too big on the XJR and don't fit properly in the Quaife. I'm really angry about the entire situation. This project is in its 3rd week with no chance of being solved. I've called Quaife USA and Racing Green Cars UK for assistance. All state this is a direct replacement which should take 20hrs labor max. Racing Green Cars UK states they have installed over 200 with no problems. The only thing I can think of is with the car being a R1 spec car maybe the axles are different. Who knows... I'm over it. When things go like this you tend not to care whether they solve it or not. I get feeling they are dragging there feet. I am thoroughly thoroughly disgusted with the entire process.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Sean B
They say the stub axles are too big and don't fit properly in the Quaife. The teeth on the QDF5W are 25 and the rear axle is 25. Do you have a Quaife QDF5W in your car? If so, did you experience any installation problems?

Quick Reply: Very happy with Quaife LSD + extra power