XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Vibration on pull away and deceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2022 | 05:46 AM
|
Default Vibration on pull away and deceleration

Hi folks,

With what seemed like an audible noise from the front nearside (RHD) although I could be mistaken here, the silky smoothness of my XJR went! and we can't seem to find where it's coming from?

Had engine/gearbox mounts replaced, rear-end rebuilt, front-end rebuilt, CATS shocks and springs newly fitted, track rods and ends replaced, engine belts replaced. exhaust and all mountings replaced, New tyres all round with all wheels aligned and balanced, prop shaft inspected and deemed good. The supercharger rebuilt, radiator and all hoses replaced. New brake discs and pads and the list goes on.... MOT passed, no advisories....

Further thoughts would be to replace the front shock absorber mounts? replace catalytic convertors? replace the harmonic dampener on the main engine drive wheel? Totally running out of ideas...

Any help greatly appreciated.

AP

Old 05-05-2022 | 05:28 PM
Veteran Member

Two things come to mind,

1) I need you to emphasize a bit more on the noise on the right front side. Is it a growling, squeaking or clunking type noise? Does it increase with wheel speed?? This may not be your vibration issue since you’ve already done a lot of work to the car.

2) When I first saw the title to this thread, my first thought was driveshaft center support bearing. It’s encapsulated in a rubber mount that’s suspended (supposed to be) in the middle of the round metal casing. If the rubber that’s supposed to suspend it is either saggy or broken, that’s more than likely your problem. Also the rubber Jurid at the front and rear of the driveshaft needs a closer look. The rubber over time also hardens and it’s ability to absorb vibration becomes less and less.

Old 05-05-2022 | 05:34 PM
Veteran Member

To what Addicted is speaking... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...g-info-188400/
You will see how torqued my jurids were, even though they appeared fine from a casual observation.

Old 05-06-2022 | 05:54 AM
|

Thanks for the advise guys. I will make the prop-shaft and all its rubbery bits the next job.

@Addicted2boost It's difficult to describe the actual noise, sounded more of a clunk (not very load at all) and a drop/dip from the front left-hand side. It happened at around 60-70mph on a slight right-hand bend and after that vibration through the steering wheel at all speeds. A lot of the work carried out has reduced it to a judder at pull away and deceleration at any speed (but more noticeable when pulling away and the steering has some lock).

@Highhorse I actually saw your thread before posting this. Very concise. Will also replace the drive shaft rubber bearings too.

Will keep you posted.

Old 05-06-2022 | 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

Replace the upper shock mounts: easy task, especially right side and now cheaper. Then, grease the zerk fittings on both sides of the dif; then the juric. I would check for wheel balance and possible bent rim on the right side. And a final thought: a few years back an owner had an equivalent issue: it was a loose power steering pump . .

Old 05-07-2022 | 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jhartz
Replace the upper shock mounts: easy task, especially right side and now cheaper. Then, grease the zerk fittings on both sides of the dif; then the juric. I would check for wheel balance and possible bent rim on the right side. And a final thought: a few years back an owner had an equivalent issue: it was a loose power steering pump . .
You might check the front wheel bearings. Lift the wheels off the ground and check to see if they turn freely without hesitation and no weird noise/ grinding. Had to change both on Jag 3 last year.

The following users liked this post:
AndyPerr (05-08-2022)