XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

video of bad rattle from front driver side wheel area

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 01:00 AM
tkc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default video of bad rattle from front driver side wheel area

Hi all,

Great forum and tons of great info here! Looking to you experts for some help here.

I have a 98 XJR and recently a horrible rattling has developed. It seems to be coming from the front drivers side wheel area. It happens when I accelerate, coast, brake, turn, bumps, smooth roads..... pretty much just all the time.

I jacked the car up, removed the wheel, checked everything back there and all seems ok.... nothing is loose, heat shield is tight and solid, brake anti rattle clip is in place and secure, checked all wires, bushings, all components back there.... nothing is loose or could make this kind of rattle....

I apologize for the poor quality video and wind noise, but if you turn up the volume and listen past the wind noise, you'll hear it.

Thanks for any help!

VIDEO HERE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb_91ytQm1E

Old 12-17-2010, 11:49 AM
tkc

Oh, and I did an intro thread now, too.

Thanks for any help guys!

Old 12-17-2010, 11:50 AM
tkc

Guess it would be good if I put the link to the intro thread in my post, huh?

Can't find the edit button though.... oh well, here it is:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=47253

Old 12-17-2010, 01:00 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

man, the wind noise is so prevalent, that I cannot distinguish the rattle you are describing. Try going backwards with the camera pointing towards the front of the car, that may help.

I'll throw out there that our gen XK8 and XKrs are simlar to the xj suspension of your MY. On ours, the sway bar bushing ($15 ea) is often the case. Progressively worse rattle may be the lower shock bushing/ Those are the most popular. There is a bumper between the shock and the upper mount, but it is different than our setup. That upper mount shown here is totally different.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:17 AM
tkc

Originally Posted by davidclary
TKC

I have the exact noise, driver side front that you have. I am also looking for an answer. For me, the noise will stop if I slightly apply the brakes, is this the same for you?? Hope someone has a answer.
Hi David,

I think mine is the same.... when I brake it seems to go away... but then again, I do recall it still happens when I'm coming to a stop. I'll have to check again after work tonight.

I took the wheel off and checked the brakes, the pads, the rotor, the pad clips, the heat sheild, everything back there..... spun the hub, I tapped on everything.... I can not repeat the noise with the wheel off...it only happens when I drive.

I am now suspecting the wheel hub since there is nothing else in there I can figure it to be.

Last edited by tkc; 12-21-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,356 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Like H20 says, a shielded mic on the camera would help...I can't hear it.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi
I`ve got exactly the same problem, but when I apply the brakes slightly it stops. I`ve even driven over bumpy roads where the rattle is worst and then gently applied the brake with left foot whilst remaining on the gas with right foot and it has totally gone. I havent removed the wheel yet but am convinced it is a rattling brake pad. Im going to check the anti rattle clips, but cant see anything else it could be? will let you know when I have a look.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:33 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

i'll take a stab jeff, since it goes away when you brake...it isn't necessarily the pads or other brake components. Think about what else is getting some force, and is often the cause of small rattles or noises in the front end. (1) lower shock bushing (2) sway bar bushings

All three are difficult to diagnose unless you jack the car up (or put it on a lift) then put some pressure on the suspension by raising it so it isn't supporing all the weight. Lower shock bushing might be the noise, and the sway bar should be able to be heard by giving it some shake-um, or hitting upwards on the bottom of the shock bolt with your fist.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:14 AM
tkc

Hi everyone, sorry for the delayed update.

So after more checking by standing along side the road while someone else drove, I realized the rattling was just as bad when the brakes were applied, so that wasn't the issue for me.

I did realize that the front driver's side tire did look a little low on air, so I went and checked all the tires. They were good for the most part, only needing a few psi each.

The weird things was, after topping off the air in all the tires, the rattling went away!

I felt pretty stupid that it was such a simple issue and fix, but I can't quite figure out what was back there that would rattle just because the tire was a little low on air....

Anyway, thank you all for your input and suggestions! Much appreciated.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:02 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would still check the sway bar bushing and lower shock bushing. I had a rattle coming from mine as well and turned out to be the shock bushing.