XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

VVT o-ring/sealing ring

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 05:42 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default VVT o-ring/sealing ring

Hello to everyone, hoping you are safe and well.
I don’t believe there is enough space on this entire site to even begin to explain what I’ve been through with my (now former) “mechanic”...that label being used ever so loosely.
Can anyone point me in the right direction to locate this small “o-ring” or “sealing ring” for the VVT bush carrier (his terminology)...?
He says that our local Jaguar dealership/parts department can’t give him the proper part number, and he can’t locate the part.
Meanwhile my car’s front end of the engine sits in pieces.
Some of you may have seen my questions about the XK vs XJ AJ26 engine compatibility, and other questions, as I have considered purchasing another engine to drop into my ‘98 XJ8 VP....what I have in there now is an AJ27 that was retro fitted and “Frankensteined” to make work in my car. It’s been a nightmare and I’ve been ripped off.
Anyway, any ideas as to what this is and where I can purchase replacement rings?

Old 03-17-2021, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 614 Posts

I'm thinking item # 9 is what you are looking for.

Seems they vary according to engine #, check out this link to SNG Barrett's site....
https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/#...assembly/13476

Old 03-17-2021, 09:17 AM

Thank you SO much for this info. Have a GREAT DAY!

Old 03-17-2021, 01:41 PM

Quick question (by the way I did order them, and thanks again), would these rubber seals and the o-rings associated with that same area cause the engine to run really badly if they are worn?

Old 03-17-2021, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 614 Posts

I'm far from expert in these matters, other more qualified members may post with more accurate info, but if those seals are leaking I wonder if that would affect the oil pressure to the VVTs, which would/could affect the running of the engine. (Although there may be many other unrelated issues that could be the root cause)

Old 03-17-2021, 04:19 PM

That makes sense though...because prior to tearing the front end down to check the timing chains, when I stared the car, it would barely stay running, but if I got it going and drive for, say, 3-4 miles...it smooths out and runs well. I was were thinking it was having to do with the oil finally getting up into the VVT's once it got flowing, so I think you are right, and I am hoping so too.
Input MUCH appreciated!

Old 03-17-2021, 10:30 PM
Received 317 Likes on 243 Posts

You may have some other underlying issues with how your engine is running while cold then seems to smooth out once at operating temp.

As for the VVT - over time the oil can leak out of the unit due to worn O-rings. I personally have never seen this cause a major problem, if anything its the secondary chains that fail and chain breaks.

Just out of curiosity, why do you have the front end of the engine stripped, for chain/tensioner issue or something else?

Old 03-18-2021, 07:58 AM

Thank you for the input. Here is a basic overview of why the front end timing area is torn down
I have been going back and forth for months now between my mechanic and my transmission people. My mechanic (mind you, he rebuilt, sold me and installed this AJ27 engine) says it’s the flex plate that is “binding” and causing the engine to run badly at start up. So I had the tranny rebuilt and “new” flex plate new sensor installed and during that process the mechanic on site at the tranny shop said he thought the timing chain was rattling on the front bottom, and the car had thrown a VVT code 1396 solenoid malfunction B bank.
I have consulted two other mechanics and all have seen and heard the engine at cold start have said that there is no way a flex plate issue can make the engine do what it is doing at cold start.
As a side note, my car is a 1998 XJ8 VP that originally had an AJ26 engine. My mechanic put a rebuilt AJ27 into the car after changing the throttle body, wiring harness, cams, etc
I believe that there is something in the engine that is incorrect, whatever it may be, I definitely have been ripped off.
You may see other thread of mine asking about an XK engine and the compatibility of that going into my XJ8....I’m considering just replacing the engine again and suing my ex-mechanic.
That being said, I insisted he put my car back together and he says he cannot (or at least suggests) until the o-rings and little rubber seals on the VVT pie are changed.
I was giving him one last chance before towing the car to another mechanic.
whew....sorry for the rant. First time I’ve put this in writing - and this still isn’t the whole story, it’s been a nightmare. Thank God I have a second car - 2003 XJ8.

Old 03-22-2021, 06:20 PM
Received 317 Likes on 243 Posts

Almost sounds like he was aware of the flex plate issue when selling. Seeing as he "rebuilt" it and fitted, why wouldn't he honor the work, seeing he did the labor of fitting it into your car?? Was there any damage to the flex plate that was replaced? Did it damage the crank position sensor? When fitting these flex plates, they only go one direction, and if it was put the wrong way, it would've been making noise, etc.

As for the VVT code - was this logged with the original AJ26 or after the AJ27 was fitted? Have you checked the wiring making sure power is getting to the solenoid? Providing he rebuilt it properly, I have seen in some cases when people don't use the timing tools correctly, when loosening the crank pulley bolt, it puts stress on the VVT internally, and have seen where the springs inside break, and will log a VVT code. You may need to take the unit apart and check that the springs inside the VVT aren't broken to rule this out. Otherwise it may be a faulty solenoid, in this case you could swap it to the other side to see if the code changes to the other bank. Below is code description for VVT dtc

P1396 EOBD VVT solenoid malfunction – B bank (2) Drive vehicle; accelerate rapidly to cruise, decelerate to stop, repeat several times 2 N When CK ENG MIL is activated (DTC flagged; second trip), ECM: – Sets VVT drive PWM duty cycle to 0 (intake camshaft fully retarded) EM81 -06 -07 VVT solenoid valve to ECM PWM drive circuit fault VVT solenoid valve to ECM ground circuit fault VVT solenoid failure VVT oil flow fault VVT / camshaft mechanical failure

Old 03-22-2021, 06:56 PM

When he pulled the original engine (26) the flex plate that was on it was damaged, as was the sensor. This is what supposedly ruined my original engine and timing. When the rebuilt AJ27 was installed, he replaced the flex plate and sensor. We have observed that the new flex plate is not bumping the sensor as the original did, but he is still insisting that that is the issue. I had the tranny rebuilt and bought yet another replacement flex plate for the tranny shop to install along with the rebuild. They observed and told me that the plate and sensor were fine, no issues there. The mechanic is STILL insisting that there in lies the problems. I have been told by at least three mechanics (I know several) that the flex plate would not cause the engine to run as it is.
The mechanic has torn down the front end, inspected the timing chains, tested the VVT solenoids and all associated wiring and states that all is as it should be.
After speaking just yesterday with one of the premier Jag mechanics in Jacksonville, he believes that there may be an issue with the bank B cam shaft and the way it was installed. As you know, we pulled the cams from the 26 and put them in the rebuilt 27, along with replacing the throttle body and wiring harness to accommodate the cars computer (programmed for a 26).
As of Friday, I delivered the replacement VVT pipe seal rings and new o-rings fir the VVT’s to him and he is supposed to put the car back together for me ASAP. At that point, I am taking the car to a proper Jaguar mechanic to get a better opinion on the issues.
Okay, thank you so much for your input and valued observations...and to everyone who has been on this “ride” with me so far.
I WILL get this resolved eventually, and post the ultimate outcome.
further input is obviously welcome!
Scott

Old 03-24-2021, 04:19 PM

Okay, first of all, thank you to everyone for their input and advise.
I picked the car up today, and it is running quite well. After everything involved in this debacle, apparently the VVT pipe seals and o-rings being replaced did the trick.

The following users liked this post:
Carnival Kid (03-24-2021)