XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

VVT or solenoid fault?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 03:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default VVT or solenoid fault?

Like to here some thoughts about this. Over here all experts say it is ALWAYS the VVT unit making the clicking noise. As this is both expensive and very time consuming it would be interesting to here why the solenoid never is the problem?

I have on car now (XJ8 1998) that stops the sound when reving the engine. Then it comes back again after a few minutes. In my opinion this would indicate that the solenoid canīt hold the oil pressure.

Has anyone out there any experince about the solenoid valve? Is it repairable? Are there any actual cases when the solenoid has been broken?

Thans for input!

Old 12-15-2011, 04:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did some more research. Could it be so "easy" that it is actually the sealings in the bush carrier that is the real problem?

Old 12-15-2011, 06:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,370 Likes on 1,077 Posts

I've dispensed with the VVT system on a 4.0lt engine, it becomes more powerful and has no effect on gas mileage.
You only need a few parts to do the conversion. It dispenses with all the complication and noises.

It's an option?!
https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...PXq1ulvTVCI%24

Last edited by Sean B; 12-15-2011 at 05:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jagslinger (10-29-2014)
Old 12-15-2011, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 933 Posts

The easy solution is a can of 'Restore', an oil thickening product. If that works move up in oil weight at the next change.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Sean- That link does not seem to work for me. Did you set the timing to the advanced or the retarded position? Any need to fool the ecu? On the NA car, the vvt is also used for NOx reduction, if that is a factor where one lives.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member

+1 on the restore and up the oil weight as the simple option by the way, my conversion is a bit extreme having looked at it.

@Ross I've sorted the link? - a picture paints a thousand words. I dispensed with vvt, solenoids and sprockets, essentially the same setup as supercharged timing. It sailed through it's M.O.T with emissions unaffected, and the ecu adapted.

Last edited by Sean B; 12-15-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Interesting-
So, I guess that means you timed it at the neutral or retarded position. Do they test NOx as part of your emmissions? I have a feeling that MIGHT not work on an AJ27, since the ecu monitors cam advance in order to control the continuously variable cam advance.
What was syour motivation for the change?

Old 12-16-2011, 02:09 AM
Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

@ Sean B... this is a loaded question, but, if the car has less power and the same gas mileage without VVT, why did they even bother?

Is it possible that this is only because you're dealing with an older/ high mileage engine? I feel like if mine didn't have VVT, the torque curve would be way worse (with only 290bhp).

Old 12-16-2011, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member
Wink

@ Ross, The Engine is AJ27. The fact it's fitted to a none VVT 3.2 Sport with the none VVT ECU, I felt confident the 3.2 ECU would control the 4.0 perfectly, which it does. Demands in air from the MAF adapted to the car immediately, injectors were kept on the 4.0.
I know and the owner feels the same, that this setup frees up more power. Having dispensed with the VVT we now have an engine that's free of emissions control. It's not a high mileage engine. It responds faster to throttle, rev's freely compared to the VVT equipped unit. Basic parts are required, but benefits outway the work in my mind. The engine timing was set as per supercharged engine, crank locked, cam flats all even, and then chains installed, so neutral, not retarded or advanced.

The UK emissions test is every bit at stringent as other world markets - MOT UK car and vehicle MOT information equipment car servicing parts and spares - exhaust emissions

@Ian, the VVT was primarily installed because of emissions and crap fuel in foreign markets, I think discussing torque curves within certain rev ranges is moot - bottom line, if the engine is in good condition, it will benefit from the removal of the VVT and free up more power, simple. If you can see the pictures, and the amount of parts removed, it stands to reason that a good engine will run better without VVT (good fuel, clean injectors and MAF / CATS are taken into account with this statement). For me, it's just another thing to go wrong/create noises when old and tired, on an otherwise great engine.

If anyone feels they want to do this conversion, they only have to ask, I can even supply the parts list and tools to complete this job. It's a revelation according the the owner.

Last edited by Sean B; 12-16-2011 at 06:34 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 355 Posts

And afterwards it's a quieter engine and the car goes like sugar off a shovel

The following users liked this post:
Sean B (12-17-2011)
Old 03-05-2019, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can you pm me on the conversion and parts for vvt delete

Originally Posted by Sean B
@ Ross, The Engine is AJ27. The fact it's fitted to a none VVT 3.2 Sport with the none VVT ECU, I felt confident the 3.2 ECU would control the 4.0 perfectly, which it does. Demands in air from the MAF adapted to the car immediately, injectors were kept on the 4.0.
I know and the owner feels the same, that this setup frees up more power. Having dispensed with the VVT we now have an engine that's free of emissions control. It's not a high mileage engine. It responds faster to throttle, rev's freely compared to the VVT equipped unit. Basic parts are required, but benefits outway the work in my mind. The engine timing was set as per supercharged engine, crank locked, cam flats all even, and then chains installed, so neutral, not retarded or advanced.

The UK emissions test is every bit at stringent as other world markets - MOT UK car and vehicle MOT information equipment car servicing parts and spares - exhaust emissions

@Ian, the VVT was primarily installed because of emissions and crap fuel in foreign markets, I think discussing torque curves within certain rev ranges is moot - bottom line, if the engine is in good condition, it will benefit from the removal of the VVT and free up more power, simple. If you can see the pictures, and the amount of parts removed, it stands to reason that a good engine will run better without VVT (good fuel, clean injectors and MAF / CATS are taken into account with this statement). For me, it's just another thing to go wrong/create noises when old and tired, on an otherwise great engine.

If anyone feels they want to do this conversion, they only have to ask, I can even supply the parts list and tools to complete this job. It's a revelation according the the owner.

I have a 2002 xj8 with aj27 that has a bad engine and i have a donor but its a 1998 with the aj26. While i have it out im going to change all the timing guides and tensioners and would like to eliminate those v v t issues. I have to add the aj27 oil pump assembly to get the oil temp sensor onto the aj26 and im using all the aj27 fuel injection and throttle body. Thanks for your help in advanced

Old 03-06-2019, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please pm me the parts needed and tools needed to delete to v v t like the xjr's have.
Thanks Jason j.demars@frontiernet.net