XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

VVT solenoids

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 07:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default VVT solenoids

Ive been starting my XJ8 every day and allowing to run to reach operating temperature after a timing chain and tensioner R&R. The gearbox fault and possible A drum failure has kept me from a proper test drive. During this run period I listen carefully to the idle to try and determine any abnormalities. Although it seems to idle smoothly there's a clicking sound on acceleration that can be heard coming from the VVT solenoid and can be felt as well by grasping the plug feeding them. Both sides. Is this normal?

Old 02-25-2017, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 857 Posts

Yup, that's normal. Are you concerned that you may have caused more noise since you did the chains? Was it just the secondaries or was it the primaries also?

Old 02-25-2017, 11:49 PM

I changed the chains as well as both primary and secondary tensioner and I had the cam sprocket bolt on the intake break two separate times before specified torque was reached. The hollow one. Third time I reduced torque 30%. That has always made me a little uncomfortable

Old 02-25-2017, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Addicted2boost
Yup, that's normal. Are you concerned that you may have caused more noise since you did the chains? Was it just the secondaries or was it the primaries also?
There does seem to be a harmonic that could be something or just paranoia.