XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Wandering XJR

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 05:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wandering XJR

Hi all

I have a 99 XJR with about 40,000 miles on it. The car is equipped with fairly new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires.

On four lane highways, I've been noticing that at any speed above 50 mph I have to correct the steering a lot as the car seems to wander - often drawn one direction or the other by ruts in the highway (or so I think?). I can accept that to some extent, the wide tires on this car can contribute to this. I can't help but feel though that there is something "loose" in the front end. There doesn't seem to be a lot of "play" in the steering though so I wonder if it isn't suspension related?

I plan to take the car to my very good dealer for a look see but was curious if any of you might have any thoughts around this.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:10 AM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

not enough caster, worn ball joints, tie rods, wheelbearings..take your pick......after having the suspension cecked out by someone competent. Have it aligned and have the caster increased as positive as possible. the more positive you dial inthe straighter th car wants to stay

Old 05-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

When I first bought my XJR, I had the same problem and it was VERY noticeable. First thing I did was align it. The Tech said that the Caster was out quite a bit and he adjusted it. While under the car, another tech came over and mentioned that there was a technical bulletin for this car and that the Caster Specs had been adjusted to help compensate for the pulling. I have no idea if he knew what he was talking about or not, but I believed him since it pulled so much.

Now, the pulling is MUCH less (I don't have to drive with Two Hands all the time), but it Still pulls on ruts, deep grooves, etc. I chalk part of it up to the wide tires as I've had this happen after changing to wide tires on other cars, but I'm still searching for something that will make it just a little less (Since it's a Jaguar ).

Good luck, and keep us informed.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your insights SuperSport - your car is identical to mine.

I will certainly provide an update once the big cat's been to the dealer.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:28 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSport
When I first bought my XJR, I had the same problem and it was VERY noticeable. First thing I did was align it. The Tech said that the Caster was out quite a bit and he adjusted it. While under the car, another tech came over and mentioned that there was a technical bulletin for this car and that the Caster Specs had been adjusted to help compensate for the pulling. I have no idea if he knew what he was talking about or not, but I believed him since it pulled so much.

Now, the pulling is MUCH less (I don't have to drive with Two Hands all the time), but it Still pulls on ruts, deep grooves, etc. I chalk part of it up to the wide tires as I've had this happen after changing to wide tires on other cars, but I'm still searching for something that will make it just a little less (Since it's a Jaguar ).

Good luck, and keep us informed.
actually Im still waiting for the pics of the topless 64 brunette

Old 05-05-2009, 02:41 AM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
actually Im still waiting for the pics of the topless 64 brunette
Hehehe... We've been known to get a little crazy at times, so you never know...