XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Wanting a killer tune for a decent price?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 03:37 PM
Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

A flip chip would be nice for Nitrous

Old 05-26-2012, 03:51 PM
ud
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Adam already ahead of you on the N20 lol shhhhhhhh its a secret but lets say I have my car already plumbed up bottle mounted and nozzles in gunna start off small and see how the motor likes a 75 shot. I had the kit left over from when I had it on my 02 trans am with heads and cam and 75 shot. So we will see what the XJR thinks lol.

I also want to find out what kind of pistons are stock I have been told forged and hypereutectic. Then i read a post by andre tht said only the 4.2 got forged but I saw a set out of a 4.0 and they look forged hummmm.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:18 PM
Received 105 Likes on 54 Posts

Well I am very very interested in this. All drama aside I don't mind going through you to get it. I own a service/performance shop and have to be the middle man for many specialty parts. If I gotta deal with it then I charge for it.

That being said, I have access to a chassis dyno, have a full Matco scan tool, LM1 wideband sitting around, full fab skills and all the tools needed so if you need a guinea pig I am willing but if not I am still interested. My car is fully serviced and in tip top shape. I also have smaller blower pulleys (2 to be exact) and the tool so I can even test it out with more boost.

Subscribing to thread.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:47 PM
ud

I will be getting a few guys to recieve the tune for free no questions and all is reversible free of charge as well. I like the fact tht you have all that at your disposal so tht would make u a very good person for the field test I will put you top of the list. We should be doing this in the next few weeks I am trying to locate some spare computers cus I know some guys their jag is their daily like me and cant have the down time to send their computer so want to have some kind of exchange program if it will work dont know how picky jags are on their computers. Im hoping as long as its a 99 jag it will take a 99 computer same for ea year.

Like i said Im not doing this so much for any extra cash as I am for the power in my car. In fact as i stated long ago in my thread it was MY TUNER who requested his name, number, and info be kept out of it and tht anyone wanting it could go through me. Just some people think tht everyone is out to screw everyone else. Just like twotees he thinks tht steig is obviously a one man buisness he mines the aluminum, melts it down, refines it, makes his own porting tools, designed eaton blowers, casts them, etc etc everything goes through someone. Just cause my guy does not want to be bothered by a bunch of guys, and after seeing how twotees is I wouldnt want that guy bothering me either, dont mean im out to make a quick buck. If I can bring a better product, better results, and at a much better price than anyone out there even if i was adding a 100 bucks to the tune for myself which im not but even if i was wheres the gripe??? Your still getting a better tune, better results, and cheaper than anywhere else. Well there i went off into left field LOL see how ignorant guys get my blood boiling ok rant over.

I am currently trying to get my new mannys finished as well and will need a few guys to get individual results from those as well they should do a nice job. Increase of exhaust flow in the mannys by 25 to 35% is my best guess so far, 2.5 in down pipes and high flow cats sounds like auto **** to me.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:03 PM

I have several cars so pulling the ECU and sending it out is not a big issue. The Jag is a new toy though and I want to play with it so I would not want it to be down for too long.
Heck, I have a Lincoln Mark VIII thats been in pieces forever waiting on me to finnish its engine rebuild (getting a forged and stroked DOHC V8) and a 72 Capri I am about to slap a 20REW (Japan only tri-rotor engine) in both just sitting in my shop waiting on parts. Guess a third toy in pieces aint too bad........ just running out of room to work on customers cars! LOL!

Old 05-26-2012, 08:38 PM
ud

been there done tht I loved my tri rotor car slapped in an 81 rx7 with webers it was a fun car ended up selling to a guy in scca i had ported the rotor housings and used carbon apex seals it was pretty quick just with it was better on gas and emission not to mention torque but not to bad of a car

Old 05-27-2012, 05:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,356 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by XJR-0220

I also want to find out what kind of pistons are stock I have been told forged and hypereutectic. Then i read a post by andre tht said only the 4.2 got forged but I saw a set out of a 4.0 and they look forged hummmm.
They are forged - and only made by Mahle, probably one of the best there is.....

MAHLE Group | Piston Systems

Old 05-27-2012, 06:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 761 Posts

Can only find documentation that states that the 4.2 engine got forged pistons (for the SC variant only), have never seen anything about the 4.0 pistons.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:00 AM
ud

i found a few things that lead me to agree with sean because it states that mahle is the supplier of the 4.0 V8 jaguar pistons an im trying to find the piston i have around here from my buddies xjr he destroyed an ill send the part number to Mahle and see what they say hard to tell from looks alone. Being tht ford was in charge of most of Jags forced induction projects I would assume their forged Ford is not known for going the cast route in tht area and never have all the way back to the old NA 5.0 they have used forged.

The following users liked this post:
LaserSVT (05-27-2012)
Old 05-27-2012, 09:21 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

That sounds fanstastic! finally someone has cracked the computer. Will this tune work on a STR as well? If so count me in, I have the 3lb pulley and high flow cats. Please let me know if this is possible, Thanks Paul

Old 05-27-2012, 09:40 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok guys got sick and tired of looking for a tune and seeing there wasnt much out there. I have done alot of research on the subject and realised there was only one thing for me to do, call KURT! Who is kurt you may ask well if you are part of Fords SVT team, kurt is one of the head tuners, if you know audi's by chance and know vast or jhm performance, tuners of the worlds fastest B5 and B6 audis, kurt is their head tuner as well.

Before I came over to jags I was an audi guy and had a A6 4.2 and then a B6 4.2 S4. Kurt is amazing he cracked the audi code and tuned them better than anyone even the guys overseas were requesting his help. So who better than him to do my Jag. I contacted him and he is willing to do the jags as well. I just have to send him a 99 ECU so he can crack the code and go over everything. He also said that there is ALOT left in the tune an feels he can get alot more power safely, and better driveability. I am also going to send him a TCU to see what he can do with that as well since he did my audis tcu and is was amazing the difference in shiftin speed.

I told him that alot of guys are wanting a tune on the boards and he would be willing to do yours as well and all future updates would be cheap. I think he said 4 to 500 for the intial tune custom tailored to upgrades you have and then if you change anything for like 50 he will mod it for you. Basic things will be better timing, better air fuel being that mine was dynoed and was down to 10 to 1 round 4500 and kept going lower till readline way to low and theres 20 to 30 rwhp just getting the AFR right and it would still be perfectly safe, taking out the speed limiter, quicker response, among other things.

If interested after he does mine I will be doing a back to back dyno test only change will be swapping one ecu for another. Same day, same dyno, same strap down, and will try and keep temps the same as well. I have seen what this guy can do and on my NA 4.2 S4 I gained nearly 34 rwhp and 40 rwtq not to mention the car responded much quicker and was more responsive and better on gas believe it or not. That was on a car that tuned aggressive from the factory and natually aspirated, I cant wait to see what he can do with a car thats tuned for a grandma from the factory (our XJRs) with forced induction.

If you are game for a killer tune post up so I can show him that we want it and the best thing no shipping your ecu overseas it would take about 2 to 3 days to get your ecu back once sent out.
I am also a member of the Crossfire Forum. Our cars are all Mercedes running gear, our SRT6's and are identical to the Mercedes SLK 320. We have a guy, Jerry at www.Eurocharged.com, based in Houston, and he can tune up almost any car. Look at his web site, and give him a ring. Jerry travels the country tuning many High End cars, Porches, Lamborginis, Farrari, Bmw, Etc.

Last edited by TerryR; 05-27-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:14 AM

i found a few things that lead me to agree with sean because it states that mahle is the supplier of the 4.0 V8 jaguar pistons an im trying to find the piston i have around here from my buddies xjr he destroyed an ill send the part number to Mahle and see what they say hard to tell from looks alone. Being tht ford was in charge of most of Jags forced induction projects I would assume their forged Ford is not known for going the cast route in tht area and never have all the way back to the old NA 5.0 they have used forged.
Ford stopped using forged pistons in the 5.0 in 1992. During the X308 years none of the Ford modular series motors had forged pistons untill 2003 for the Terminator Cobra. Even their 4.6 was a miss-mash over the years. Some were iron blocks, DOHC variants were aluminum blocks but even that was different as some were from Teksid Itally and some were Windsors. Some of the Teksids had cast cranks and some had forged cranks.
Cant use Fords weirdness to accuratly gauge what will be in a Jag. LOL.

That being said, there is no way a 4.0 size piston can handle 400+ at the wheels with an Eaton unless it was forged. I know all too well that at 430ish crank HP and a positive displacement blower will melt a regular piston in a Modular 4.6 motor.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:14 AM
ud

I dont know if it will work for the STRs dont know if they use the same computer

Old 05-27-2012, 10:22 AM
ud

Originally Posted by LaserSVT
Ford stopped using forged pistons in the 5.0 in 1993. During the X308 years none of the Ford modular series motors had forged pistons untill 2003 for the Terminator Cobra. Even their 4.6 was a miss-mash over the years. Some were iron blocks, DOHC variants were aluminum blocks but even that was different as some were from Teksid Itally and some were Windsors. Some of the Teksids had cast cranks and some had forged cranks.
Cant use Fords weirdness to accuratly gauge what will be in a Jag. LOL.

That being said, there is no way a 4.0 size piston can handle 400+ at the wheels with an Eaton unless it was forged. I know all too well that at 430ish crank HP and a positive displacement blower will melt a regular piston in a Modular 4.6 motor.
Oh no ur gunna be my new best friend someone to have deep car conversations with LOL. You are in fact correct about them changing to a hyper in the 5.0 in 92 and you are correct about the POS first gen 4.6 mod motors but if you reread what I stated was ford has ALWAYS been known for using forged in their "FORCED INDUCTION" motors none of the early mod motor were FI from the factory and neither were the early 5.0s. I used the early 5.0s as an example of fords early thought of over engineering, and as you know the very first FI mod motor ford created "Termi" was forged as have been any other FI app ford has done since. LOL

But I will also disagree with you on the fact of melting a cast piston i ran my LS1 with a D1SC stock bottom end including cast pistons and made more than 650 rwhp for quite some time then I wanted more and finally cracked number 7 by adding more boost and too much timing LOL. Cast can take a good bit of abuse if tuned properly, hyper can take even more and forged even more so. But with ea comes a trade off but Ive seen hyper perform amazing and i have made an LS2 with a twin screw making 22psi and ran perfect and still is to this day for years. I am hoping we have forged and i am prone to think that jag with fords suggestion did use forged so far as anything I can find anywhere in any documented engine failure none has ever had to do with the pistons. Not to mention people will say what about piston slap well if they used Mahles 4032 material they are not as strong as the 2618 but they have very lil to no piston slap they do not expand as much. So i am hoping we have forged as it would only make sense and since they have forged in the 4.2 it would stand to think that they used forged in the 4.0 as well. they had to use a different piston in FI versus the NA motor so it makes sense tht if they did it with the 4.2 they would do it with the 4.0. Since both engines are running similar boost levels and are almost identical in power production few HP difference. Which has more to do with the boost level used 4.0 got 12psi and the 4.2 got 13 or 13.5psi if I recall correctly.

Something I would also like to know is did the 4.0 also get piston oil squirters as the 4.2 has Avos you may have the answer dammit i need to find tht junk 4.0 motor and start disecting it lol

Last edited by XJR-0220; 05-27-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:35 AM

The SVT Lightning was the first to be blown in 1999. And yes, Ford knew to put forged goodies in the blown application motors. Now if they just knew how to properly cool their heads for those applications it would have saved a ton of people headaches in the beginning. LOL

Old 05-27-2012, 10:38 AM
ud

Originally Posted by LaserSVT
The SVT Lightning was the first to be blown in 1999. And yes, Ford knew to put forged goodies in the blown application motors. Now if they just knew how to properly cool their heads for those applications it would have saved a ton of people headaches in the beginning. LOL
I couldnt agree more but at least they try hahaha given me alot of buisness LOL

Old 05-27-2012, 11:00 AM
Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Adam already ahead of you on the N20 lol shhhhhhhh its a secret but lets say I have my car already plumbed up bottle mounted and nozzles in gunna start off small and see how the motor likes a 75 shot. I had the kit left over from when I had it on my 02 trans am with heads and cam and 75 shot. So we will see what the XJR thinks lol.

Lol. We probably have the same
Kit. I picked it up from my buddy who had it on a LS1 Camaro.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,356 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Something I would also like to know is did the 4.0 also get piston oil squirters as the 4.2 has Avos you may have the answer dammit i need to find tht junk 4.0 motor and start disecting it lol
The AJ27 4.0 built after mid August 2001 has the 2 oil jets coming off the oil pump to direct oil flow to the primary chains. So a later oil pump can be fitted to the AJ26 4.0.

The centre oil gallery can be drilled+tapped, adding the piston backside jets. The real reason these were added was because of bore wash, but added cooling/lube to the bores and rings.

Jets and later oil pump, along with crank, con rods and pistons would turn an AJ26 4.0 into an AJ33 4.2. A worthwhile mod?

Old 05-27-2012, 02:16 PM
ud

Nice work thanks Sean i was acually contemplating looking into the 4.4L bottom end in the range rover and seeing bout adding some custom forged pistons and going for about 9.0 to 1 cr.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:44 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

I dont know if it will work for the STRs dont know if they use the same computer
Can't speak for the ECU, but the hardware is very different.

XKR 4.0L & X308 XJR ran the same system. Which has been the focus of this thread if i'm not mistaken? With the throttle body at the rear of the engine bay...

STR has more/less the same setup as the X350 XJR, both 4.2L. Throttle body towards the front. As I understand it's a different ECU, but may well be programmed with the same language & a lot of the tune for the 4.0 XKR/XJR might be copy-paste for the 4.2's...

This thread has peaked my interest, if a simple plug-n-play tune for the 4.2L STR/XJR is on the table, well i'm waiting in line mate!

Quick Reply: Wanting a killer tune for a decent price?