XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Water in the fuel on 98 xjr

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2022 | 12:03 PM
|
Smile Water in the fuel on 98 xjr

Hi,
Please, I would appreciate any good advice!
I've got an unknown amount of water in the fuel of my 98 xjr. I only became aware of it after starting and driving for a minute. It stopped and I saw that the drainage at the fuel cap was clogged. There was some water (10mm) over the flap in the filling pipe.
I used plenty of condenser without getting it to startin.
Then 6 weeks have passed and I tried to start it by manually adding petrol to the throttle body with a garden sprayer. It started fine and ran as long as I added gasoline manually. (apx. 3 minutes)
But stopped immediately without manual supply of gasoline.
It almost starts and runs easily when the starter is running, a little off and on the starter motor wheel. Independent run about 5 sec.
I have been wondering if the filter has clogged.
But would I not get an error message on the lack of fuel pressure?
Does anyone have experience with this, should I connect my code reader?
I have a Delphi BT, but dread installing it. I'm a bit clumsy with computers, except for CNC machine tools (haha)

Old 07-04-2022 | 01:07 PM
Veteran Member

You may wish to check if your fuel pump is actually pushing fuel to the engine. It would seem unlikely
that much water could get into your tank with the gas cap still on. Otherwise, we would never be able
to run our cars through the car wash. Water is heavier than gasoline so it would most likely tend to
migrate to the bottom of the tank thus being the first thing the pump would push, however in most
situations the car just runs rough until the water is expelled. A bad fuel pump will make the vehicle just
stop, as you indicated it did.

Old 07-04-2022 | 01:34 PM
|

Thanks RandyS
Scary and interesting theory. But it started and ran a little minute before it stopped ...
What if it could not stand to stand 6 weeks with damp petrol in the nozzles ...
Will I get a defective pump in the display as a fault?

Old 07-04-2022 | 01:43 PM

There is no fault display for dead fuel pump (only dead relay) or clogged fuel injectors.

Old 07-04-2022 | 01:49 PM
Veteran Member

In concurrence with Randy, it would take a lot of water to kill the motor...and to answer your part about an error for lack of fuel pressure, no...you will not get that error message. These cars aren't that complex to detect that. You'd have to put a manual gauge on the fuel line shrader valve. But you will get a fuel pump relay code...P1641, fuel pump 1 malfunction and/or P1646 (R models) fuel pump 2 relay malfunction. Like mine did about 8 yrs ago, both went T-up at once...and there are lots of other members here with experience with that. Keep in mind, these cars are 20+ yrs old, so lots of things can, and will, go wrong.

Yes, there is a possibility the filter is plugged, albeit unlikely its the only issue, and since you seem unsure of it, its a cheap job and probably needs replaced anyways.

So, get out your OBDII reader and get us those codes to assist you with. Then we can tell you the fun to be had.

Also, if you could please,...get us your location using the User CP, top left task bar....and in your signature, at minimum...put your MY and engine so you don't have to tell it to us. AU (Australia) NA (North America) EU (Europe) all had different options and your location can help us a lot to not keep asking you these questions.

The following users liked this post:
Epikuro (07-04-2022)
Old 07-04-2022 | 02:04 PM
|

Originally Posted by motorcarman
There is no fault display for dead fuel pump (only dead relay) or clogged fuel injectors.
Will it show up on my code reader?

Old 07-04-2022 | 03:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Epikuro
Will it show up on my code reader?
Yes, the code is generic, its a malfunction...just plug it up and let us know what you have. We can't guess at it...well, ..we can, ...but that costs more money.

Old 07-05-2022 | 05:55 AM
|

Thanks for the great info Highorse. Great help!
I struggled with the code reader yesterday. After an hour it turned out that it only had xj my 2001-2003. But I will check further today. I think I have seen a thread here on the forum about Delphi 2017 rev.3?
I'll try to get a pressure gauge. Is there a special type to recommend?
Thanks for the info about my profile. I'm clumsy and unfamiliar with online forums. I tried and post info yesterday, but will finish it today. Thanks!

Old 07-05-2022 | 03:19 PM
Veteran Member

For the fuel gauge, most any parts store will have them or you can search the inter-web. You need to get one that measures to at least 50 psi (3.44 Bar), most come with 100 psi (6.89 Bar), you will be looking for 43.5 psi or 2.99 Bar.
It may also be possible you have a bad fuel pressure regulator...but let's see if you have any pressure on the line first.

...or you can use a sight favorites technique by Robert...

Old 07-08-2022 | 09:14 PM
Veteran Member

I had a similar issue a year back, a lot of water in the fuel tank. I think part of it was due to recent heavy storms along with my drain being clogged, but some may have been due to bad local gas (the gas station I brought from has since gone out of business... coincidence?)

Anyway, the penny pinching solution is to do what I did:
Buy a transfer pump from Harbor Freight (includes a schrader adapter, use this to clip to the fuel rail output) and a few buckets
Connect schrader adapter to fuel rail output, point hose into bucket, jump fuel pump(s) with jumper wires
If there is water in the fuel, it will come out looking milky
Wait a day for water/fuel to separate. Use the transfer pump, run intake hose to the bottom of the buckets (water being the heavier liquid) pump out the waste to an appropriate receptacle until you have only fuel.
Refill tank with mostly clean fuel
Go for some spirited driving to clear out the gas

If your fuel pumps are in good shape, you should have a strong stream of gas from your schrader adapter when you do this. No need to have the car or ignition on for this procedure

Epikuro (07-11-2022)
Old 07-12-2022 | 05:04 PM
|

Hi,
I finally managed to install the Delphi 2017 v3 code reader. But it provided little information. Only error code was on the seat memory.
I also got a tire pressure tester. It showed 3.25 bar when the starter went around.
It still almost starts. I'm going to take the advice from "nilanium" and empty the tank tomorrow. It's going to be exciting and I'll update as soon as that's done.

Rail pressure valve upper picture corner in brass. (blue cap) Located betwin rails on left front top.

RJ237 (07-12-2022)
Old 07-13-2022 | 04:02 AM
Veteran Member

I am interested in what you find so please let us know.

Epikuro (07-13-2022)
Old 07-27-2022 | 06:55 AM
|

Hi again,

Here's what I did after a lot of trial and error with code readers and everything.
After Nilanium's post, thanks, I bought a tire pressure tester and a valve screwdriver for five bucks.
Checked that the pressure on the rail was ok with the tire pressure tester.
I emptied the upper layer of petrol with a hose and the old method, my mouth.
Then I took out the valve on the rail,se picture, and put on a small hose. Connected a long wire to the relay in the trunk so I could force the pumps to run.
Be careful with sparks and gas!
I then ran the pumps until there was no cloudy raw petrol, but only clear, about 20 litres.
Then I inserted the valve and topped up with clean petrol.
After that it started relatively well. After three minutes I stopped and restarted and after that it starts as usual in a couple of seconds.
Thanks for all the help everyone! It has been enlightening.

A couple of thoughts at the end from a car novice. If someone won't start and suspects water in the tank or fuel supply failure, start by cranking the fuel pump (in case of xjr, both pumps) so you hear them work.

RJ237 (07-27-2022)
Old 07-27-2022 | 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

So it turns out to actually be water in the tank. I suspect that there are a lot of
cases where water finds it's way past the cap yet only causes the car to run badly
for a while. As for me, I will be checking the drainage at the gas cap in a more
regular fashion.

The following 2 users liked this post by RandyS:
Epikuro (07-28-2022), Samilcar (08-28-2023)