XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Waterless Antifreeze - Has anyone used it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 09:42 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

The quoted SC hose deteriorates more from heat than from pressure. Running waterless coolant, which raises the average coolant temp, according to Avos just accelerates the process.

Running a pressureless system doesn't mean that coolant won't be lost if there is a leak.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
I also have limited experience with touching live electrical wires above 240VAC. Similarly I don't need to try waterless coolants to know I want nothing to do with them.
That’s obvious, good for you, don’t get involved I would say and be happy, don’t touch it!
I was sceptical, but investigate it, considered the advantages/disadvantages on different areas, and tried it, and am glad I did for many reasons as mentioned.
As one of the sole users here, you've not really brought much to the table in terms of demonstrable advantages. Since the stock set up works perfectly with minimum attention and cost I fail to the see the attraction of doing things differently.
Running intake pressures above 23 psi, huge power levels/heat levels and no cooling issues means obviously nothing for you, so then probably my experience is meaningless for you.
There is another XKR with twin-screw running as well for a couple of years on Evans, no cooling issues/bursting pipes there as well.
I agree there isn’t much attention needed to the stock system/setup as long as your coolant pipes are in good condition (low miles).
The quoted SC hose deteriorates more from heat than from pressure. Running waterless coolant, which raises the average coolant temp, according to Avos just accelerates the process.
You’re the expert here, how much miles i.e. years would I loose with an occasional 10 to 15 degrees higher temps?
What strikes me is how you negate the effects of pressurize/depressurize movements, and worse what pressure does if you develop a leak.
Running a pressureless system doesn't mean that coolant won't be lost if there is a leak.
I am not claiming that at all, not sure who does, but oh boy, I rather have a pressure less system when a pipe goes than one is under 15 psi any day.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

Sounds like a solution searching for a problem. OE Jaguar coolant w/distilled water at prescribed intervals ... both of mine have untouched cooling systems.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Parts are arriving daily now so I'll be installing this weekend, maybe, depends. Seems I got the AIRTEX AW4124 pump with the black plastic impeller. Rockauto shows the beige impeller but this is what they sent me. Also the Thermostat housing seems to have problems with the casting. Thermostat drops in too far on the right side so no rubber left to seal. I'm sending everything back and starting over. I wonder if I should just go with a metal impeller pump!

Any ideas?

Old 06-08-2017, 04:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

Have read to many posts about the bad quality of the metal ones, and the standard OAT coolant Jaguar use doesn't have any cavitation inhibitors so you would need to swap coolant as well. If you use Evans, then its no problem it seems, as it doesn't cause the cavitation issues. The stock plastic water pump is good, no need for metal.