XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Weird Electrical fault XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 05:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Electrical fault XJ8

Hi,
I'm new to this forum so here goes.
I have a 1999 XJ8 which some months ago I put in the garage to do some floorpan welding work. Now I've done a bit of welding before so knew to disconnect the negative terminal from the battery and check for any wiring in area's to be welded.
When I put it in the garage the only occasional fault that came up was a knock sensor problem which I planned to do after the welding. Anyway she's all back together now but put simply doesn't work. First thing was the fault display it showed all of the following, ABS inactive, Brake fluid low, Transmission fault, Strange part fitted etc...ending with the failsafe message. With the key turned to start, nothing not even any lights on the console. To add a twist putting your foot on the brake pedal, even with the key out activated a whole bunch of lights on the console.
Plugging my diagnostic computer into it didn't work either, it wouldn't recognise the connection. I've been all over it checking connections. I've carried out all kinds of resets including a hard reset. The battery is brand new but it just sits there refusing to show any signs of life, that is other than the fault codes and this odd thing with the brake pedal.ANy idea's would be gratefully received. Cheers

Old 06-30-2017, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,363 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Did you remove any trim or disconnect any wiring harnesses? This sounds like a transmission selector board wiring fault and or engine earth. Does the shifter lock and can you get it out of lock and select gears?

By the way, welcome to the forum Max, no need to panic

Old 06-30-2017, 10:05 AM
Default Weird Electrical fault XJ8

Hi,
Funny old world, I used to live in Ainsdale.
Thanks for the heads up.
I've sort of resigned myself to having to lift the carpets again so I'll check, although I don't remember disconnecting anything.
Yes the shift is locked in park and no matter what I do with the keys or brake pedal it stays locked.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:02 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Inertia switch checked/resetted?

/E

Old 07-03-2017, 07:17 AM

Hi,
Currently I'm stripping all the carpets out to check the wiring, just incase I missed some and fried them but nothing yet.
Where is the Inertia switch?
A garage friend here in Italy suggested it could be the ECU which is very sensitive to welding arcs. I told him that I had disconnected the earth lead but he suggested that in his experience with computer managed car functions it's safer to disconnect both.
He has volunteered someone he knows who fixes them but I'm nervous in case he damages the ECU when it turns out to be something more simple.
Any thoughts appreciated.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:08 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Inertia Switch is located in the footwell.. rh side of passenger side if i remember it correctly.. far forward.. push it a few times..

Old 07-05-2017, 03:02 AM

Wow!
Sometimes something so simple. I guess it makes sense when you think of it's purpose but I didn't even consider it.
You saved me hours of tedious wire, fuse and component testing. Not to mention the costs associated.
Thank you and were it possible a few beers and my eternal gratitude would be yours with pleasure.
Thanks

Old 07-05-2017, 03:04 AM

Also my thanks to Sean B for his suggestions.
A really useful forum

Old 07-17-2017, 08:33 AM
Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts

Hi maxdean, welcome to the Forum. Had the exact same problem, same lights and errors on the dash as you. Ended up being the inertia switch behind the accelerator (RHD). Welding, banging metal into place for welding etc caused mine to 'trip' out. There's a little black rubber button on the top of the inertia switch, just press it and you should here a 'click', then try starting up again, should be fine.