XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Weird problem - no power when trying to start

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 01:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Weird problem - no power when trying to start

Hi, looking for some thoughts from the forum. I have a 2003 XJ8 with 60K miles. Recently I've started having a weird problem when trying to start the car.

Every so often when I put the key in the ignition and turn to start the car I get nothing, zip, nada! I have no dash lights, the odometer goes black and I have no internal lights or any other lights for that matter.

The first time it happened I thought it was the battery and so opened the trunk to check connections. They were super tight as were the ones on the two big fues in the spare wheel well and the connection under the hood.

The weird thing is if I open the trunk with the key and then close it, the lights come back on and the car starts fine!!

It seems that if I open the door, sit in the drivers seat and put the key in the ignition and turn it quickly, as I did tonight, this problem happens. If I wait a couple of seconds as the seat moves forward, then turn the key everything is good.

I reckon the problem is with the key and this is something in the security system that disables the vehicle completely. This is the only key I have and I don't have an owners manual (although did just win one on Ebay) so don't kow if this is explained in there. But it seems very strange that opening and closing the trunk resets or fixes it.

Any thoughts?

thanks

Blair

Old 07-31-2010, 05:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

I do not have a definitive answer for you but these cars are a little picky about battery voltage. How old is your battery? Might have it checked at an auto parts store. Also, an all systems reset sometimes fixes strange electrical issues. Disconnect the negative battery post cable and touch it to the positive post. That will drain all capacitive voltage in the systems and everything will reboot when you replace the cable.

Let us know what happens and someone will guess again.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:12 AM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

sounds like a mega fuse or power stud.. is melted.. giving intermittent no starts no light nothing..
very common.. right side in front of your spare tire.. you will see a little black box.. were your positive wire goes to .. disconnect the battery ..pop the cover off and shake the wire.. if its loose or looks melted.. theres your problem.. if not then there is another power stud.. open hood right side.. you will see a thick cable blk.. going to the starter follow it back close the fender.. hiding under the right side plastic cover .. remove cover one screw.. and you will see the whole post.. they melt and/or come loose..

JG

Old 08-02-2010, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 411 Likes on 306 Posts
Red face Weird Problem

I had this same problem ! Just a week or so ago I came out of the 7 Eleven and no power. I messed around with the key and at one point a couple of the idiot lights came on and the the battery icon was flickering. So, I get out (panic-stricken) and open the trunk and try messing with the battery and then it started. I got home and immediately cleaned the battery terminals - which I had done recently, and fixed my boot lights again because of the boot hinge problem, but I was sceptical that it would not reoccur. It's a nasty feeling to be stuck somewhere without a cell phone and with a dead cat ! I'm going to check out what jag_genius said ASAP before I need a tow. TIA !

Old 08-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It will happen if you leave your lights on or a door ajar! It is a safety feature that keeps you from killing your battery.