XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Weird problem please help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 08:34 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Weird problem please help!

Super hot 115 temperatures in az lately and here is what happened today. Any insight is appreciated as i want to get the car fixed before this issue gets out of control.
Here is what happened.

Since it has been this hot i have noticed my front fan makes a fan noise after shutting the car off for sometinmes 5 minutes and the fan is never moving. My car never overheats so i figured the fan was working properly, but now am unsure.

Today, i had the ac on full blast and at a stop light i noticed the car felt like the front engine compartment was shaking some and i turned the ac off and the problem went away. Later in the day, the same thing happened again, but this time i felt like the car would not shift into 4th gear so i used the manual shifter and it worked fine until i put it back into drive.

When i did that the car jerked weird and i got a gearbox fault and a restricted performance light. Could barely get the car moving from the dead stop at the traffic light.

Parked the car and let it cool off. Restarted it and it drove fine home. I was thinking if the fan was broken i would see overheating a lot faster and i never have had that problem.

Today when this was going on the temp gauge moved up but never into the hot areas. I got no check light and the car seems to run fine now, but that fan noise is still there every time i turn the car off unless it is a short drive...and like i said i never see the fan move....tad confused...thanks for reading this book lol

Last edited by JimC64; 08-16-2012 at 06:09 PM. Reason: block text - create line breaks to make more readable
Old 08-15-2012, 02:35 AM
ud
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by theusualsuspect
...that fan noise is still there every time i turn the car off...
I'd get 2' of heater hose and with one end to my ear try and find exactly where the noise is coming from. I have a mechanic's stethoscope and for some things it's better, for some the hose is better.

If the fan makes a noise and never moves it's doing something... is the motor warm?

Last edited by IanT; 08-15-2012 at 02:39 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:50 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

will def get the heater hose and try to hear where the noise is coming from. motor is definitely warm as on short trips this doesn't really happen. also noticing a small jerking motion when ac is on and stopped at a traffic light

Old 08-16-2012, 06:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My .02

The A/C condenser and the trans cooler are right up there with the radiator, trans cooler is in the radiator I think. If the fans not spinning when at a light everything gets hot, the A/C compressor is working it's guts out moving freon that's doing zero because it's not getting rid of the heat. I would REALLY get that fan moving.