XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Weird unlocking issue - any ideas anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 03:47 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Weird unlocking issue - any ideas anyone?

Starting today, when I remove the key from the ignition, the car doesn't unlock. This happens with both keys. Both fobs work to lock and unlock the car as normal, and the dash button also works, it's only the removal of the key from the ignition that has stopped doing what it always has done, unlocking the car; the steering wheel and the driver's seat moves to the rest position as normal when I take the key out. When the engine is running and I move into Drive, the doors lock automatically as they always have done.

So far I have squirted contact cleaner down the ignition barrel and done a hard reset, but with no effect.

Any help from those far more knowledgeable than me gratefully received.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,815 Likes on 1,330 Posts

Does it function properly with the key out of the ignition, door open, you depress the lock post (if all unlocked, they will lock also), then 2 seconds later all the locks unlock?
I would also consider a possible microswitch in the shift selector along with the ignition switch. Here's a link to the wiring diagrams and a screen shot from it to review (primarily top left). http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxj1998.pdf

Old 08-10-2017, 09:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How old is your battery? Sometimes the simplest things make all the difference.
Maybe check ground connections.
My 2 Cents

Old 08-11-2017, 01:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

My EU spec car has never unlocked the doors when I pull the key from the ignition. I don't dint it annoying. Simply pull the door handle and it unlocks...

In my old Volvos you pulled twice...

Old 08-11-2017, 02:59 AM

Thanks to highhorse for the useful electrical guide. If I open the driver's door on the remote, all the other doors unlock as normal. However, if I then push the lock post down, the other doors stay unlocked, no interaction from the driver's door switch. Looking at the circuit diagram, I think that must be the culprit? I'll look in more detail over the weekend.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just a thought.. when you remove the key, a spring forces the tiny keyway flap closed, but I believe there is more to that action... it lets the modules know that the key has been removed.. if the tiny flap is hanging open, the car may think that the key is still in the Lock barrel.. an easy check with a torch😄

Old 08-12-2017, 03:03 AM

I've checked the flap on the ignition barrel, and it's closing properly because the steering wheel and drivers seat move out of the way when the key is removed. It's all pointing towards a microswitch or module somewhere, I will ask my indie electrician to see what he can do. It's not exactly critical, just annoying.