XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What all is different between supercharged cars and non?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 07:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What all is different between supercharged cars and non?

Considering something potentially dumb. I know that the SC cars had the Benz transmission, but don't know what else was different about the cars themselves... mechanically that is.

Enter my dumb idea. My buddy has a T-boned XJR (01 I think). Found a nearly free VDP (99) with a toasted motor. We're guessing the tensioners went and it went boom. The motor doesn't turn either direction. I'm thinking of dropping the XJR engine and Benz trans in the VDP for a cheap cruiser.

So how different are the supercharged/Benz cars? It's one of those that it could be nearly a bolt-in, or it could be that Jag did completely different floor pans and crossmember mounts which would make it a nightmare. Thoughts? The allure of having a DIY Super V8 clone for pennies is pretty tempting, and I don't mind throwing mounts, a driveshaft, and a few other things at it, but if it's a whole different critter I'll pass. Thoughts?

Old 03-31-2022, 08:08 PM
Received 196 Likes on 125 Posts

About $10-15k.
Seriously, its not simple. Search for a thread started by me on the issue. I was thinking of doing the same thing. Some of the experts showed me the cons. I presently looking for a burnt moton XJ8 or XK8 for a LS swap. (Not simple either.)

Last edited by pcolapacker; 03-31-2022 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-31-2022, 09:04 PM

Bummer. Lots different, eh? Even if I have two complete "parts" cars. I searched for your thread but haven't found it yet. Thanks for the reply

Old 03-31-2022, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,710 Likes on 872 Posts

Originally Posted by curtis73
Bummer. Lots different, eh? Even if I have two complete "parts" cars. I searched for your thread but haven't found it yet. Thanks for the reply
I think this is the referenced thread but I'm not sure the conclusion is applicable seeing as you apparently already have or have access to both cars:

Engine compatibility - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

I'm not sure where the $10-$15k comes from given that between the two cars you will have all of the bits and pieces when it comes to wiring harnesses etc. and not just a motor so you won't need to run around sourcing a ton of bits and pieces. My guess is the determining factor on cost will be how much of the labour you're prepared to "invest" at no attributable cost.

Having said that, it sounds like an extremely intriguing/interesting concept and potentially much more satisfying than lumping an earlier Series 1 - 3 car. You could always rationalize the investment by saying you're saving two cars for the price of one.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Old 04-01-2022, 01:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 996 Likes on 834 Posts

Beside the engine and transmission , there is differences in the suspension bushings and shock rebound rate

Large springs I think are higher rated

A 2nd fuel pump and it's control

The transmission cross member will be different

transmission cooler

The front grill and badges

Front anti - roll bar thickness

Engine and separate transmission ECUs

You would have to be careful as to what year wiring guide to reference as there was some changes from the AJ26 to AJ27 engine especially the Mass Air Flow Sensor.

XJ8, XJR, XJ Sport - X308 (1997-2003) | Powerflex | Road Series Bushes (powerflexsuspensionbushes.co.uk)

Last edited by Parker 7; 04-01-2022 at 02:09 AM.
Old 04-01-2022, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ken Cantor
I'm not sure where the $10-$15k comes from given that between the two cars you will have all of the bits and pieces when it comes to wiring harnesses etc. and not just a motor so you won't need to run around sourcing a ton of bits and pieces. My guess is the determining factor on cost will be how much of the labour you're prepared to "invest" at no attributable cost.
You missed my joke. I was reffering to a nice XJR or Super 8 will sell for more than a NA XJ8 or VDP.

Old 04-01-2022, 09:28 AM

Here it is: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...bility-250631/

Old 04-01-2022, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,710 Likes on 872 Posts

Originally Posted by pcolapacker
You missed my joke. I was reffering to a nice XJR or Super 8 will sell for more than a NA XJ8 or VDP.
You are correct - that's not how I took it, my bad.

On the other hand, after spending that $10-15 curtis73 would still have his initial conundrum - owning two other cars neither of which would be driveable...

As a theoretical "should I consider looking FOR this as a project", I would probably agree with you but curtis73, if he wants to take it on, already owns this project.

Last edited by Ken Cantor; 04-01-2022 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-01-2022, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Ken Cantor
You are correct - that's not how a took it, my bad.

On the other hand, after spending that $10-15 curtis73 would still have his initial conundrum - owning two other cars neither of which would be driveable...

As a theoretical "should I consider looking FOR this as a project", I would probably agree with you but curtis73, if he wants to take it on, already owns this project.
I've been shopping for an XJR or SC-VDP for three years or more now. The SC-VDPs are obviously rare as hen's teeth, so it seems like the moment they get listed somewhere (usually a fly-n-drive distance) they're gone before I can even talk to the seller. The last two years, XJRs have been following the trend of every other used car here in the US... Asking twice what they're worth and getting it. The VDP with the busted engine I found has 79k on it and has been cosmetically beautifully maintained, and I can snag it for under $1000. The T-boned XJR has 34k on it and was basically free. It was brought to our shop, the insurance company totaled it and paid the owner, then never came to tow it away. So a year later I filed a lien on it for $54.

I would do all the work myself. I don't work at the shop anymore, but this kind of thing was my bag for 20 years. My shortcoming right now is time. I'm afraid it would sit and never get done. If it's a weekend of swapping out ECUs and an engine/trans, that's something I don't mind tackling. Sounds like it's a bigger project so I'll likely skip it.

Having said that... I do have an LS6 and a T56 sitting around.... Hmmmm.

Old 04-01-2022, 03:04 PM

Having said that... I do have an LS6 and a T56 sitting around.... Hmmmm.
Check out jaguarspecialties.com. That's who I'm thinking of using if I find a donor.