XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What is the best drive you've had in your X308?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts
Default What is the best drive you've had in your X308?

Hello Chaps, I got thinking about this one whilst at work. I was doing a late shift and enjoying the drive in the Coach and it got me thinking about this one.

My best drive in my XJ8 (so far) was July 2010 and we were driving to Whitby, Yorkshire for a weekend away. We left after I finished work at about 6:30pm and it was a 3 and a 1/2 hour drive. We touched lucky with the Friday night traffic and cruised along the motorways until York when the roads turn more rural.

The sun was beginning it's decent and the evening was warm. The Jag was effortlessly handling the hills and it's adaptive suspension making light work of the corners. There was no speeding here, just a big Jag in it's natural territory. With the side lights lit and the evening sun reflecting off the well polished paintwork he was a pretty sight. The scenery of the Yorkshire moors with the Heather and sheep looked as though it should have been on a post card. There were no clouds to be seen and as I dropped down one hill I found myself running close to the railway track. Travelling along it was an old steam train who's driver let off his whistle when we were alongside each other. The last hill to climb and the V8 burbled away with confidence, then we swept into Whitby to the Bed & Breakfast we were staying at.

What finished the drive was when the B&B owner said what a beautiful car I had.

So what was your best drive?

The following 2 users liked this post by Stu 1986:
Cadillac (11-03-2011), Ipc838 (11-03-2011)
Old 11-03-2011, 12:00 AM
Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

My best drive is going to be when I ship my car to Southern England, and drive all the way from Land's End, Cornwall, to John O'Groats, Scotland with my British girlfriend. Now, I need the 3k to ship my car to Blighty and the girlfriend.

Thus far, however, driving for 50 miles, by myself, with a touch of music (turned off for V8 music half the time) and the sunroof open, after classes on a wednesday afternoon in Tulsa, OK, has been amazingly enjoyable. Not many corners, but lots of fun to drive in an urban environment with absolutely no traffic/police. Feels like "Omega Man" a little.

The following users liked this post:
Cadillac (11-03-2011)
Old 11-03-2011, 12:23 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The first time I drove it... It had been forever since the poor thing ran. Once it fired up and drove. I've been HOOKED! Both of my other cars have sat, I can't get enough of this Jag! It is super smooth. I was on cloud 9 when she finally ran that evening! To everyone else on the road, she looks like a beaten down battle ship. However, under the rough skin is a super luxurious interior that hasn't aged a bit, and a wonderful drive train. cannot wait to get her repainted!

Cadillac (11-03-2011)
Old 11-03-2011, 04:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by ianclements
My best drive is going to be when I ship my car to Southern England, and drive all the way from Land's End, Cornwall, to John O'Groats, Scotland with my British girlfriend. Now, I need the 3k to ship my car to Blighty and the girlfriend.
Not to put a damper on your intentions, but I wouldn't recommend anyone to move to the UK at the moment. The situation here is dire and this government seems hell bent on making it the 1980s again. Also fuel prices are twice, nearly three times as much as the US so you'd need a huge wedge of cash to be able to do that drive.

But I like just cruising like you said, just going for a drive is the best.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:52 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My most memorable drive was the day I first drove my 1998 XJ Vanden Plas. This was 2 years ago. I bought the car on line from Long Island, NY. I live 2 hours upstate and my father and I went to pick it up. The LIE (long island expressway) during rush hour can be deadly. I was never so scared when a Caddy STS got between my car and my dad's as I was following him close enough to hold a piece of paper between the cars. I hit the brakes so hard and yanked the car to the left at 70 MPH. The cars ACS and ABS kicked in and made the car do what I wanted without it doing what I asked it to do (remind you never drove the car before!!) IT saved my life the driver of the Caddy's.
We then headed to the Taconic Parkway that goes north from NYC. It is very narrow and twisty. My dad started to streach the legs of his car so that I could enjoy mine. All I can say is WOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW! What a feeling!!! I was alone (other than following my Dad) and the car was tight and eager in sport mode. I will never forget the feeling in my chest!! Thanks for a place to relive this story.

Cadillac (11-04-2011)
Old 11-04-2011, 12:45 AM
Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter2
My most memorable drive was the day I first drove my 1998 XJ Vanden Plas. This was 2 years ago. I bought the car on line from Long Island, NY. I live 2 hours upstate and my father and I went to pick it up. The LIE (long island expressway) during rush hour can be deadly. I was never so scared when a Caddy STS got between my car and my dad's as I was following him close enough to hold a piece of paper between the cars. I hit the brakes so hard and yanked the car to the left at 70 MPH. The cars ACS and ABS kicked in and made the car do what I wanted without it doing what I asked it to do (remind you never drove the car before!!) IT saved my life the driver of the Caddy's.
We then headed to the Taconic Parkway that goes north from NYC. It is very narrow and twisty. My dad started to streach the legs of his car so that I could enjoy mine. All I can say is WOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW! What a feeling!!! I was alone (other than following my Dad) and the car was tight and eager in sport mode. I will never forget the feeling in my chest!! Thanks for a place to relive this story.
Cool! What a great first drive man. That is similar to my first drive too! So many fun drives inbetween, but: I brought mine back from Miami to Orlando after buying it, with like 6.5 quarts of oil in it, and the tyres at different inflations, but I didn't care because, I too, was so excited to have a Jaguar. I was following my mother's XK8 convertible, and she was doing like 90 half the time, she was running late for a meeting... So I fell behind a little, I had no radar detector like she did. At one point, I was passing a truck whose rear 2 tyres suddenly exploded, and every car on the road stood on the brakes... I just weaved in and out of the bits like a master at 75, the car was great. I only had one album in the car to listen to... Songs for the Front Row, by OCS... I will never forget that experience. I was examining the wood character and the stitching on the 4 hour drive back, falling in love with the car.

Last edited by Ipc838; 11-04-2011 at 12:48 AM.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:22 AM
Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

My best drive so far has been down the coast highway from San Francisco to San Luis Obispo, with a stop at San Simeon to visit Hearst Castle. Well, a few more stops along the roadside to take in the spectacular views, too !! If you've never had this experience, it should be on your "Bucket List."

My next best drive will come next week after replacing the fuel pump (it died yesterday) and rebuilding the front suspension (planned maintenance). Yesterday was the first time that I have had to have the car towed home; a 2002 XJR-100 with 142k miles !! Not bad, in my opinion.

Enjoy your ride !!

Mark

Cadillac (11-06-2011)